Guard Your Account!

News and Updates about Clan YaWA

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Heartwood

Guard Your Account!

Post#1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:11 am

We've had multiple guild members hacked over the last year. That means stress, losing weeks of game time, having items/gold possibly not reimbursed, and in the worst case: permanent loss of the account or characters.

Go and buy the Blizzard Authenticator from <here>. The cost is $6.50 + shipping and will be the best $10-$15 you've ever spent (I spend that on coffee in a few days...) given how much we all play this game. I hate seeing any of our guild members go through the ordeal of trying to recover their account/characters, and they undoubtedly hate it a lot more. Don't be one of them.
At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Gnomerman

Post#2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 am

i bought one, it came 5 days later. it takes 10 minutes to set it up, and it ads an extra like 10 secconds on account log in. if you can afford the 15 bucks a month, this 10 dollar one time fee is a no brainer. stick it on your keychain and you have it with you all the time.

now i just wish my bank, and credit card had one of these little devices on my accounts.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#3 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Some institutions do allow you to get additional security on your online accounts, but you have to ask.

I got an authenticator a while back once they became available again. It's ridiculously easy to use and you're almost 100% proof against account theft. You could even deliberately install a keylogger and it wouldn't do the hackers any good (not that I recommend this, mind you).

Doulmagnus

Post#4 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Everywhere but the States is sold out... thats lame.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#5 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Are you talking about the North American region or delivery to/outside the US in particular, Doul? An authenticator purchased for this region would work on any NA account, regardless of where you live.

Does the Blizzard Store not offer shipping to Canada?

Doulmagnus

Post#6 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:18 pm

No the blizzard store has one authenticator of the US and one for every other zone :/

They do ship here but I guess there is some coding thing.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:22 pm

Canada is in the US region, for "coding" purposes. You connect to the US realms and have US accounts. Unless I completely misunderstand, that is.

IMajorSmall

Post#8 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm

Gnomerman wrote:i bought one, it came 5 days later. it takes 10 minutes to set it up, and it ads an extra like 10 secconds on account log in. if you can afford the 15 bucks a month, this 10 dollar one time fee is a no brainer. stick it on your keychain and you have it with you all the time.

now i just wish my bank, and credit card had one of these little devices on my accounts.

I'd say these times are overestimations--I'd say it takes about two minutes to set up (as long as it takes to log in and type a code), and only as long as it takes to type 6 digits longer to log in.

As for banking, as Lealla said, some banks do just that. This idea came from those types of institutions and higher-security corporations that require logins from potentially unsecured locations.

Note that like any security measure, this isn't 100% hack proof, but it comes pretty close for now.

Doulmagnus

Post#9 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:34 pm

I understand what your saying.

Im just going on the information on the site. For Canada, which I suppose it out of the US shipping, they are sold out.
Unless maybe Im the one reading it wrong...

Heartwood

Post#10 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:43 pm

The US authenticator will only be shipped to US addresses. It may have to do with legal restrictions on security products. The authenticator for Canada and non-US addresses must be ordered if the shipping address is outside of the US.

I'm waiting for the non-US one to get back in stock. I've emailed Blizzard to see when they will be available, if it is possible to order the US one, and if there are any retail stores with access to it.

Doulmagnus

Post#11 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Ok Heartwood, keep me posted pls. Thanks.

Heartwood

Update From Blizzard

Post#12 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:03 am

I wrote to Blizzard with the following questions:

1) When is new stock expected in?
2) Can I buy the US version instead?
3) Are there any retail stores in Canada that carry these?

Their response:

1. We do not have an exact ETA for when the international Blizzad Authenticator stock supply will be replenished. Rest assured, we're trying to secure a large stock ASAP.

2. You can purchase the U.S. version and it will work with your account, but it comes with exhorbitant shipping charges. You need to purchase from the international supply to get cheaper rates.

3. The authenticator is only sold at the Blizzard Store.

Update:

I just tried the online store and it blocks the completion of the sale of the US authenticator saying that it can not ship to the Canadian address. I'm following up with the CS rep by email, might be that you'll have to call their sales team on the phone to do this: (800) 592-5499
Last edited by Heartwood on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doulmagnus

Post#13 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:19 am

Hmmm... isnt that thing smaller than a pocketknife?
Exhorbiant shipping charges...
Im gonna give them a few weeks, or try to get a friend in the states to get one and mail it to me :)
Thanks for the info Heartwood.

Heartwood

Post#14 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:40 am

Jan 23/09 - 9:40am EST - The non-US version of the Authenticator is now back in stock for those that want to order it. In total it came to $17 with the international shipping.

Return to “You and Whose News?”