Druid class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Palehorse

nihilum feral/resto druid raiding guide

Post#1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:03 pm

http://nihilum.mousesports.com/en/artic ... me_guide_/

Restoration Build
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Basically you want all your points spent in restoration, no one of the other trees supply anything that can be useful for raiding. Key talents in the tree are of course Tree of Life and Swiftmend. Basically they are all good talents, and you have to have it all to maximize your raid performance. There's been a wild discussion about the usefulness of Tree of Life, link, This thread was written in the early days of TBC and much have changed since then. Druid way of healing have scaled somewhat at this point. Hence the direction of this guide.

Feral Build

What you want is this tree is obviously mangle, the best talent we got after tbc. Also heart of the wild rocks, basically the same as what i said in the resto part, they are all useful talents and you want them all. Make sure to get omen of clarity and naturalist as well. awesome talents for tanking. since druid threat is based on the dmg we do. the higher ap, the more threat we do. Warriors differs here, the better gear they get the worse threat they make. Feral druids also have the possibility to dps in raids. But seeing at our druids, you will spend most of your time in bearform.

Moonkin Build
(not made yet)

Moonkins can actually put out some great dps, what they lack tho is raid utility, except for the +5crit to the group they don't bring much. Improved faerie fire is good aswell. Nihilum does not use moonkin druids for raids, thus the lack of information in this thread. I will come back to you guys on this matter. (I hear "theik" wants to do this part :D)

If you just dinged lvl 70, i suggest you go and do the karazhan prequest as soon as possible. there are loads of pickup groups for this instance and is fairly easy to finish. Pick up as many tier pieces as you can. LOOT LOOT LOOT..

A lot of people seem to enjoy healing in tree form as much as possible, some druids are specced dreamstate some are just full restoration specced but doesnt go into treeform. Me, myself and I is specced for tree form, i do however rarely use it in raids. I just cant get past the movement speed reduction. When i use it, it is on 100% static fights like Illidan/Tidewalker for example. When i know that i have to move in a raid situation i wont go tree, "why?" you might ask. The answer is simple, if i die to the fact that i was too slow out of something i would be so angry and upset and whine even more about druids than i already do! And lets face it, the only thing you gain is the -20% reduced mana cost from your healing over time spells. (mana is not an issue anymore)

I prefer to stack up lifebloom on maintanks. Usually 2-3 targets. Also add rejuvenation and regrowth if you have mana. and to top it all off, use healing touch rank 4. I found this to be the most effective way of healing. Or at least for me. You cant discuss healing like you can discuss for example a mage's DPS output over a given amount of time. there are cycles and "rules" to follow there. The most important thing as a healer is to heal people in need of heals and don't let them die. Healing is so situational, in example. you might end up on top of the healing meter, but you didnt save "that" main tank on 200 health with your NS+Healing touch. Which one was more important? Dont take those healing meters to seriously, they arent what DPS meters are for DPS classes.

Another useful thing. If you heal with healing touch a lot and also regrowth. i suggest you get a macro for this.

/stopcasting
/cast Healing Touch(rank 13)

Change the rank of the spell of course, if you use rank 4,5 or any other rank. This helped me a lot lately, it feels a lot more comfortable having macros. Try it out and you will notice the difference. The latency from your ISP contra server will feel like its not there. Try it!

Also what you really need is a good nature's swiftness + healing touch rank 13 macro like this:

/cancelaura [stance:1] Dire Bear Form; [stance:3] Cat Form; [stance:4] Travel Form; [stance:5] Tree of Life
/cast Nature's Swiftness
/stopcasting
/use 14
/stopcasting
/cast [help] Healing Touch; [target=player] Healing Touch

(/use 14, with this i trigger my healing power trinket, for the extra healing)

Another thing that's really helpful for healing, is to have an add-on like chronometer files.wowace.com/sw-c.html
It helps you a great deal with keeping track of you HoT's, for more information about UI and add-ons, feel free to visit my personal profile on our website, and ask whatever question you might have.

Haste/spirit/mp5/healing, your best card is to go for a mix. Spellhaste, on the other hand is nothing you should go for, unless you are a dream state druid. Healing power is the most important stat along with int/spirit/stamina of course. Maximize your healing and you will end up high on the healing meters. Think of it like this. You as a druid can have 3 different spells active at the same time on the same target, lifebloom, rejvunation and regrowth. "What other class can do this?", 3 spells, 3 healing over time, constantly ticking spells... the answer is noone. Go for healing, it benefits you the most. Spirit is always good, if you don't have a shadowpriest in your group you will need to innervate yourself. And low on spirit means you get little mana back. From next patch druids and priest will get one of their talents updated, intensity. which means we will get 30% mana while casting instead of 15%. This is another reason to stack up on spirit gear instead of mp5 gear. It scales, mp5 doesnt.

I prefer to use the +22healing gem, some prefer to use the 11 healing 2 mp5 gem. The reason for me using 22 healing is simple. Druids in raids try to hot as much as possible, and if you are assigned to heal tanks you constantly have 2-3 buffs ticking on the target all the time. Therefor the stat that you gain the most from is obviously healing, given that you don't have mana issues (which you shouldn't have, pots are your friend.. Get everything enchanted with healingpower, bracer's/gloves and everything you can. On bracer's for example. use 30healing power over 6mp5 since it benefits you a lot more in the long run.

Flask of Mighty restoration is your second choice, what i use for important encounters and when we are progressing in new content i prefer to use Elixir of Major Mageblood and Elixir of Healing Power, reason for this is the same as above -> given you don't have mana issues in a fight. Healing power is always your first pick. Stack up on Golden Fishsticks and Blackened Sporefish. Use them depending on the fight, if you need hp use Blackened Sporefish! Always make sure to have a few stacks of mana oil, they are really good!

Tanking:

Single target: Mangle every 6sec, FFF(feral faerie fire) when cd up and got time, Maul all the time too if got enough rage but might be wise to every now and then do few white hits to pump up your rage, swipe if u can afford the rage.
Multi target: Swipe 24/7 , switch targets for maul & mangle so u even out the threat on the mobs if they dps on more then 1 at same time.

We have warriors doing Demo shout so i don't need to worry about that, and personally i think lacerate is just really shit so I don't use it too often.

DPS:

Basically start with mangle, Shred until 5 combopoints and then rip(mangle debuff on) but u probably need to refresh mangle between the shreds if the debuff runs out, if u got 5 combopoints and the debuff is out wait a bit on energy, Rip and then mangle and continue to shred. Otherwise just rip and continue to shred. Its not really worth to use Ferocious bite even if u got rip ticking already. Just refresh your mangle debuff or Shred if u are on full energy / If u are not on full energy u can regain some energy while waiting on the old rip to wear off. There are some bosses where Ferocious bite > rip, Like essence of suffering because he got 0 armor

Since druids threat output is based on how much damage we do, and our main mitigation techniques are dodge/armor, you want a mix of it all. High stamina is always good for obvious purposes. Also with full tier 6 gear a druid should be able to reach 40-45% dodge, and of course reached the armor cap, which is

armor cap vs. lvl 70 31673
armor cap vs. lvl 73 35880
So the best way to go here is a mix of it all. Make sure to do enough heroics so you get badges for the imba ring, also karazhan provides a great tanking ring.

For druid feral dps, meaning catform. You want to have as much attackpower as possible. Try to aim for at least 35% crit(as much as you can tbh) and attackpower is obviously based on what gear you can lay your hands on.

Crit-immunity:

475 defense to become crit-immune against LvL 70mobs, 490 defense to become crit-immune against LvL 73 (raid bosses)
Easiest way to obtain this is to have 3/3 Survival of the Fittest (= ~75def / -3%), and then get the rest 2% (for lvl 70) / 2.6% (raid bosses 73) from defense or resilience. 50 / 65 def or 78.8 / 103 resilience. Or a mix of both, just reach -2% / -2.6%

Hitcap for raidbosses:

9% hit (142 hit rating) or 6%hit (95hit rating) + 5 feral combat skill (20 Feral combat skill rating)

Most of the tier 4/5 and 6 sockets are blue. I suggest you get blue gems for this. If you have access to black temple gems i suggest you go for 5 agi 7 stamina gem. If you dont have access to black temple gems go for the lesser version 4 agi 6 stamina gem. Or if you are low on hp for some reason go for Solid star of elune

Tanking:

Pots: Elixir of Major Agility & Elixir of Major Fortitude Should be your first choice, I prefer 35agi & 20crit (2.37% dodge, 2.3% crit) & 250hp 10hp/5sec over the Flask of Fortification which gives you 500hp & 10def (4.16 def, 0.17% Dodge, 0.17% -crit, 0.17% miss) simply because I rate the 2.37% dodge gain higher than the 250hp & 10def rating loss.
Food: Spicy Crawdad (30sta) should be your first choice for food since its just simply the best but its also pain in the ass to farm, second choice is Warp Burger (20agi) which is a lot easier to farm :D, but don't slack! (god, kungen hates slackers :D)

DPS:

Pots: Elixir of Major Agility & Elixir of Major Fortitude (35ap, 2.3%crit, 250hp) would be the best choice for dpsing. But you can also go for ap Elixir of Major Srenght & Elixir of Major Fortitude (84ap & 250hp) or if u don't want the hp Flask of Relentless Assault (120ap)
Food: Warp Burger (20agi = 20ap & 0.8% crit) & Roasted Clefthoof (20str = 48ap) , 2 best choices for dpsing but i would pick agi food in first place

I hope this little guide can provide you with some information on how we druids in Nihilum both play and are prepared. The purpose of this guide is to get you all druids out there an insight of the typical Nihilum druid. We from the Nihilum community wish you the best of luck in your endevours around azeroth and hope that you can find some use of this thread in your play! Happy Hunting friends!

Remember... We druids stick together! If you see me in AV or the ARENA.. . make sure too /purr :D

Shoutouts to Rulah for the feral part. and thank you for reading this!

Stask

Post#2 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:58 am

Also what you really need is a good nature's swiftness + healing touch rank 13 macro like this:

/cancelaura [stance:1] Dire Bear Form; [stance:3] Cat Form; [stance:4] Travel Form; [stance:5] Tree of Life
/cast Nature's Swiftness
/stopcasting
/use 14
/stopcasting
/cast [help] Healing Touch; [target=player] Healing Touch

This macro alone makes Pale's post worthwhile. :-D
"I am unworthy of any respect. True story." -Brulan

Recorded for posterity. He had no idea how right he was.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#3 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 am

Except that that macro is way out of date. First, the /cancelaura should actually read:

/cancelform [form:1/3/4/5]

Second, it's completely unnecessary as of 2.3 anyway. Third /stopcasting is also unnecessary after 2.3.

Now, the stylistic arguments. First, do you ALWAYS want to use NS if it's available? Or is this macro going on your "Oh Shit" button - in which case, why not just combine it with your existing HT on a modifier key, like shift. Second, the automatic self-cast is fine for soloing but very bad for raiding. Here's how I'd write it.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] Nature's Swiftness
/use [mod:shift] 14
/use [mod:shift] 13
/cast [mod:alt,target=player] [target=mouseover,help,nodead] [] Healing Touch

This is assuming you want NS + trinkets to be on shift; if you always want your healing trinkets to be used; remove the [mod:shift] part from the /use lines.

Polarside

Post#4 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:28 am

Told ya Nihilum is overrated...We got Lealla. heh
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Stask

Post#5 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:35 pm

Lealla wrote:Now, the stylistic arguments. First, do you ALWAYS want to use NS if it's available? Or is this macro going on your "Oh Shit" button - in which case, why not just combine it with your existing HT on a modifier key, like shift. Second, the automatic self-cast is fine for soloing but very bad for raiding. Here's how I'd write it.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] Nature's Swiftness
/use [mod:shift] 14
/use [mod:shift] 13
/cast [mod:alt,target=player] [target=mouseover,help,nodead] [] Healing Touch

This is assuming you want NS + trinkets to be on shift; if you always want your healing trinkets to be used; remove the [mod:shift] part from the /use lines.

Yeah, HT is near useless for raiding as it's too slow, but having a NS+HT macro makes for a GREAT "oh shit" button. Before having this macro I'd have to look down to press NS and then HT and that would take a precious second or second-and-a-half to do, during which time the tank would be in danger of dropping if I couldn't get the big heal off. Having this on a single button makes things ALOT easier.

Also, I'm not in the habit of using the Shift/Alt/Cntrl buttons on casts. The only time I've ever done that is on the Anzu fight with that regrowth macro you gave me for the three bird spirits. I'll have to adapt, of course, but it's like the sword respec rotation on Shariella: My play style is mostly a function of habit and adapting to a new playstyle takes a bit of time. We'll see.

Palehorse

Post#6 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:59 pm

All I know is that the guide was written back in Oct and I think they love resto shaman chain heals...and *maybe* were the ones saying all you need was 1 resto druid (and perhaps a few ferals for OT)....

so I suppose some of it might be a wee bit outdated ;p

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#7 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Stask wrote:Also, I'm not in the habit of using the Shift/Alt/Cntrl buttons on casts.

You don't use alt to self cast? No wonder you always bitch at someone else to heal u when ur taking damage.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Tachion

Post#8 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:18 pm

i have mine set to auto self cast as well. that way if i dont have anyone targeted, i cast on self. When in the middle of a cast and have to cancel and self cast, i just hit esc to lose my target...6 to 1

Stask

Post#9 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:44 pm

Elvenbane wrote:You don't use alt to self cast? No wonder you always bitch at someone else to heal u when ur taking damage.

Name one time that's ever happened.

Yeah, I didn't think you were expecting us to take that statement seriously either. :-P

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

Post#10 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Every time you start to take damage. That about covers it.

Stask

Post#11 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:59 pm

Kendalh wrote:Every time you start to take damage. That about covers it.

Screenshot or it didn't happen. :-P

Return to “Druid”