This will be my 61 point balance build

Druid class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Tachion

This will be my 61 point balance build

Post#1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:13 pm

Gig

Post#2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:18 pm

why don't you add some points into "Transfering back to Vek'?

Tachion

Post#3 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:23 pm

does not compute

Merawynn

Post#4 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:26 pm

But I want a sexy oomkin/tree!

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#5 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:23 pm

I swear by all that is unholy that if anyone goes Boomkin again in this guild, it will be me!

I will not be denied! This world shall fall!

Tachion

Post#6 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:31 pm

now that makes transfering tempting!

Stask

Post#7 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:08 pm

So yeah, I foresee that at least three people (me, Tach [whether or not he transfers his noob ass back here] and Lealla) will be going boomkin once WotLK comes out. I mean, who wants to level as resto?

*suppresses gag reflex*
"I am unworthy of any respect. True story." -Brulan

Recorded for posterity. He had no idea how right he was.

Lealla
Class Leader

Re: This will be my 61 point balance build

Post#8 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:49 pm

Tachion wrote:http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=0VGbsiIsAdhAzou

Honestly not what I would have expected for PvE. I can't imagine how you'd conclude that Genesis is better than Starlight Wrath for the same talent points. Similarly, Owlkin Frenzy is strictly a PvP talent, except possibly when grinding solo, and even then it's too "proccy" for my taste. The addition of haste to Celestial Focus is nice, but it's hard to justify those points over something else for raiding. Plus, if you're going for a grinding build, skipping Brambles would be kind of nuts given how badass Thorns will be.

I guess I can see the DoT/DD synergy maxing out pretty nicely, but losing the cast time on Wrath and Starfire makes no sense, and you're picking up Typhoon without also adding Gale Winds, gimping AoE effectiveness.

At least, that's my critique. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Tachion

Post#9 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:14 am

I noticed a few flaws in the talents, but not quite sure how to fix them up yet. The build is basically a dot/SF grinding build. I do not expect to be raiding until later lvls. I do not put much weight in brambles still, as i will have killed any standard mob in less than 3 SF hits. Thats also how owlkin comes in. If they do break roots, they hit me and i pwn their face.

My biggest mistake was not noticing that starlight wrath decreased SF time as well now. I will definitely be throwing 5 in that for my 61 pt build.

And yes, i threw a few pvp things in there.

Tachion

Post#10 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:18 am

prolly be something like this, until later lvl's:

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=0EGbsifsAdhVzoh

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#11 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:34 am

Remember, Brambles also buffs your Entangling Roots damage, making it a respectable DoT, and Nature's Grasp will be trainable with 100% base chance to proc. There's a Daze effect proc as well, with huge implications for AoE grinding.

Also, Starfire is great for single mobs, but for multiples you'd use it pretty much solely to pull, then use DoTs and Wrath to burn everything down. I have no problem letting things beat on me in Moonkin Form, especially with Thorns reflecting 80+ damage a hit now at 70. :-) Nature's Grace will reduce the GCD on Wrath too, so you will be able to chain 1 second casts with sufficient crit.

Oh, and Starlight Wrath has reduced SF cast time since it was introduced in 2.0.

I posted my planned level 70 grinding build in another thread; I'll take a fresh look at it tonight.

Tachion

Post#12 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:34 am

That’s funny. I've never looked twice at that talent, as I've always taken it with a standard boomkin build. Amazing what you overlook sometimes on auto pilot.

As for multi-mobbing. I can count the time on 2 hands that I have chosen to multi mob grind, due to a druids inefficiencies in this area. That will all change with the hurricane rework, but I’m not sure that I will change with it.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#13 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 am

In my mind, the inefficiency of multi-mob grinding has more to do with the pushback issues on casting Wrath than it does on AoE effectiveness; something that's addressed with the pushback changes as well as the rework of Nature's Focus (although it's questionable if you'd want to spend the points there for a grinding build).

As long as the mobs don't have an interrupt mechanic (stun, knockback, etc.), I love gathering them up in bunches of 4+ and dropping Hurricane on them, but I've actually found that keeping up full Moonfire/Insect Swarm kills them fast enough that Hurricane rarely adds any degree of efficiency. When I'm farming Primal Shadow in Nagrand or basilisk meat in Terokkar, I will gather as many mobs as I can reach and take them all down at once. With the improvements to Hurricane, and most especially the addition of Typhoon and Starfall, this will be easier than ever in 3.x.

Return to “Druid”