Balance Druid Fundamentals and Mechanics (3.3.2)

Druid class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

IMajorSmall

Post#16 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Lealla wrote:The gain in mana efficiency is directly offset by the loss of DPS from canceling your casts.

This is exactly why it's not in my talent build. The way I figured it, I'd have to watch for it and interrupt my rotation in a bad way to make full use of it, and the drop in DPS made me get rid of it. I also didn't see a big enough drop in mana longevity to go back to it. This was pre-WotLK though.

Lealla wrote:Eclipse lasts 15 seconds and has a 40 second internal cooldown.

This is where I'm getting confused. Of course I can't get in-game to check there, but this says it has a 30 second internal cd, which is backed up by wowhead and wowwiki.

Lealla wrote:I should also add that I was amazed by the amount of mana regeneration provided by Moonkin Form.

So was I... I had no clue it was helping THAT much...

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#17 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:44 pm

The thing with OoC is that even without paying any special attention to the proc, it still averages out to being a 6% refund on your mana costs, not bad for 1 talent point and twice as good per point as Moonglow. Plus, in cases where you can pay attention, such as on AoE pulls, you can get big savings with free Hurricanes. My concern is that, by extrapolation from last night's WWS, the actual return I'm getting may not justify the talent point spent there, especially considering that it doesn't scale while Intensity and Dreamstate do. I'm considering some variant builds that drop regen talents in favor of more DPS and AoE.

I'll go back and check my numbers on Eclipse; I thought I remembered the ICD being 40 sec but I could be wrong. I can't get to those sites from work.

The thing about Moonkin Form is that it scales with everything: Intellect, haste, and crit chance; and all of those numbers go way up once you start acquiring Tier 7 gear, not to mention synergizing with talents like Furor, Eclipse, etc.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#18 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:06 am

Yes, Eclipse is a 30 second cooldown, not 40. So that's as much as 50% uptime with a 20-22% damage increase if you do nothing but spam Wrath/Starfire in rotation. 10% for 3 talent points brings this in line with Moonfury, but only if you carefully manage the proc.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#19 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:55 pm

I managed to hit 3600 DPS on Patchwerk, so apparently the issues I was having with my rotation have been worked out. Based on mana longevity in 25-man fights, I'm seriously considering taking 2 points from Moonglow and 1 from Dreamstate and dropping them into Improved Insect Swarm.

I'd still like to get Typhoon and Gale Winds but that would require dropping Dreamstate and OoC entirely. I'm not sure if that's a sustainable model.

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#20 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Lealla wrote:I'm not sure if that's a sustainable model.

Might be now, but it sure as hell wont be when they change JoW.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#21 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:52 pm

It depends. I finished Patchwerk and Thaddius with 75% or more mana without burning a pot or Innervate. To me, that indicates plenty of room to fiddle with different mana regen talents. What's more, the value of Replenishment and Moonkin Form will only go up as gear stats improve, while mana consumption in absolute terms will remain pretty static (except for increases in haste rating, natch).

Return to “Druid”