Druid. Variety is an understatement.

Druid class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Shadeaux

Druid. Variety is an understatement.

Post by Shadeaux » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:44 pm

Well, lets see if I can do this and make some sense of it. I know how I think about the class, but I'm usually bad at putting things down on paper so bare with me. ;)

Druids, for those of you new to the class, are one of, if not THE, most diverse class in the game. However, we are a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none...at least that's what most say. I somewhat disagree.

First I'll discuss my talent direction and equipment of choice as they go into the same topic, my diversity. I had a theory when I was on my last server playing the druid character I had for a while. Got them up to 36 or so before we changed servers but that was good for me here because I went into the druid class knowing what direction I wanted to take. My talent tree thus far (as of level 48) is primarily feral, 31 points worth. I'll post a link to my spec on the talent calculator at the end. I have 7 points in restoration for the 2 more feral type abilities, Furor and Improved Enrage. The rest of my points are more than likely going to go into Balance for Nature's Grasp to get to Natural Weapons (+10% damage dealt by physical attacks in all forms) and omen of clarity, with all the rest going to Nature's Reach primarily for PVP reasons..

The balance tree points are more or less because I'm finished in feral, and restoration, and have points to spare. lol As far as important can't-wait-to-get talents, I'm done. I love the abilities that feral gives you, which leads to my equipment. All my equipment is more or less stamina and intellect with as high of spirit and armor value as I can get on those. My theory has always been that when your doing feral and soloing especially then I want to be able to shift out at about 1/3 health, have enough mana to heal up fully and then get back into the action. At the moment in dire bear form my armor value is 5262 with 3605 health without fortitude. Also having 4309 mana is quite nice even for feral as healing yourself is important.

Also, the mana amount is nice for changing into my more healer type gear, staff and whatnot for when I'm healing. When I do that my mana goes up to 4600 and with the 2 HoT spells we have, and the occational (not often at all) larger heal spell on the tank I can pretty much keep a group alive being a healer if need be as well.

The Wolfshead Helm which is a druid only item is highly suggested for anyone wishing to solo grind leveling up for level 40-50ish, especially having Furor in the restoration tree to give an even greater bonus to rage or energy when shifting.

I'm going to make a seperate post for tricks of the trade for each of the three styles, tank, healer, dps. A lot of the dps tricks I learned from having a 60 rogue on another server the hard way, but at least it was learned, right? ;)

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000

Best of luck to you all and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

-shak

Shadeaux

Tricks of the Trade

Post by Shadeaux » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Here's a post dedicated to the quick learning of what I feel like to be beneficial tricks of the trade.

FERAL:

When in bear form you are the 2nd (if not sometimes first) most asked for tank in the game. Your job: to keep mobs off the other players and take a lot of damage. I can't begin to count how many times lately I've seen a lower level warrior on my alt that didn't want things beating on them. Kind of defeats the point.
I have found that demoralizing roar seems to increase your threat on the mobs as well as lowering their attack power. This may not be the case but I've always found it to help. I generally do demoralizing roar as soon as i charge in (feral talent) to get their attention, having thorns on me to increase damage dealt thus threat gained. Then swipe (hitting a few mobs at once) a few times, enrage letting rage build up a small amount at this point and then just growling the ones that run off or casters that change target away from me. Unless I'm tanking things much higher level than me I rarely need to use challenging roar (forces all nearby enemies to focus attacks on you for 6 seconds) unless we have something similar to a mage that thinks he's a tank. If your plan is to focus on feral and tanking I suggest highest armor value you can attain while getting stamina and strength, with spirit as an underlying choice for keeping that mana up to heal yourself of course.

DPS:

This seems to be a hard class type for most people to grasp the concept of while in a group. If your staying in battlegrounds full time all the time or solo grind to level up full time then dealing as much damage as you can all the time is a good thing. But once you get to 50-55+ it becomes more and more important to not out threat the tank. Dealing consistant damage over the course of the battle is MUCH better than doing whatever you can to crit as many 1400+ dmg swings as you can constantly stealing agro from the tank. Same goes for mages, but that's to be left to the mage forum I suppose. ;) If your planning on going full DPS with your druid, which isn't very often seen I suppose unless still grinding leveling up, I would suggest much like a rogue.. Stamina, Agility, Spirit, Strength in that order of importance.

HEALER:

Ok, In my honest opinion I would rather have a druid as a healer in a 5 man group than a priest. Could have something to do with leveling up with Dipper thus being around an excellent healer all the time. I have not done AS MUCH main healer as I would like to have, I do enjoy that however and druids are excellent at it because of it being easier in my opinion to manage threat. Hit the health-impared party members with a rejuvenation if they're barely out of health (85-90% full) and odds are you'll be good for at least another 10-20 seconds. Main tank may require a Healing Touch now and again but if they're down low enough to need a healing touch, odds are they have enough threat to make that heal not dangerous for you. And even on main tanks, a Renew + Rejuvenation will keep their health going up for 12-21 seconds, a lot of the time both together are giving the tank more health than the mob is taking away, but in smaller chunks so giving barely any threat to you.

I'd like to take a sidebar here and discuss over healing for a moment. This probably deserves it's own topic but I'll post it here with the rest of the tips and tricks. I'd say the most common mistake of people healing a 5 man group and running out of mana is freaking out at everyone losing health if the tank doesn't have agro controlled yet and over healing everyone. If you heal someone and it doesn't crit and they hit 100%, you've healed too quickly and wasted some mana. The best way I've found to control this is to shoot for keeping the party members at 90% health and being very alert as to how much your healing spells are healing the party. I use assist to see if the mob their targeted is targeting them as well. For instance if you see a warlock's health jump down 3 times.. bam, bam, bam. He's probably life taping if it stops then. I click the warlock's picture in the party list, hit "F" to assist them, and then hit "F" again once it is targeted on the enemy to see if the warlock is who is targeted. If it's back on the main tank and the warlock is below 50-60% health then I'll hit them with a small rejuv and go back to watching the tank. Also, if I'm in a group healing when the enemy's are way above me I switch to a hot bar with lower level healing spells on them, usually just 1 level lower than my highest thus far. This keeps doing agro for you, as well as being able to distribute the heals better as they are costing you less mana.

Didn't intend for this post to be this long, but I got to discussing my thoughts on things and just kind of went with it. lol

Hope it was of some help to anyone and as always..
Best of luck to you all,

-shak

Wyndsong

Post by Wyndsong » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:47 am

Amazing Post Shak!

A little critique if I may...

I'd quote the whole post or the parts of it but they're so detailed that it would make this post a billion times longer than it should be.

1) Your comments on feral tanking were spot on. Thorns and Demo Shout are the only way to gain group aggro and keep your healers from gaining aggro on the spot. Also Swipe is a great ability to keep 3 mobs focused on you. Gear suggestions again spot on.

2) I have different opinions on Feral DPS. Feral DPS isn't that tough but it requires more skill than a rouge (IMO) because our bar doesn't switch in stealth, meaning we have 14 skills and a 12 button bar. I have created 2 macros for this purpose and it works wonders. If you want the macros send me an in game tell (I still like to keep my little secrets :)) 2 things to consider in Cat form are that Rip has tremendous amounts of power and Rake is a quick easy way to get continued dmg and combo points. Best start is Ravage or Pounce (I think this is a style thing and depends on the situation) rake, claw, rip... this will get your dps flying and then you can rogue it up claw claw rake, FB. As for gear suggestions the stats you should be looking for is not indeed stam/agil. We don't get the attack power bonus that rogues get with Agil. We get 1 point per agil which sounds awesome but really isn't. The order (IMO) should be Strength, Stam, Agil, Spirit. If you want huge dps go strength/agil. You will be rogue glass cannon but man will you hit hard. The reason I say strength first or even better +attack power is that is the only way we can exponentially grow our attack power like the rogue. I suggest just take gear and switch it in and out to maximise attack power.

3) Healing.... ah druid healing.... Druids are over time healers. We strive for longevity in a fight. Our mana pool can rivil a priests and our spells can be slightly more efficient if used properly. Your comments here are good, but I'd like to expand a bit. As much as a lower lvl heal will keep aggro off of you a better way to do it is have say a rank 4 speed heal as your spam/quick heal. If the tank is getting hammered he's probably doing something wrong (like not wearing a shield) or you've pulled too many mobs. Then use your biggest heal as "The Bomb" this is the I'm at 20% and your rank below the big one will only bring your target to 60-70% which in the long term may cause you to use more mana than required. I primarily use Rejuv as much main heal. Toss a quick rejuv at about 80% and you'd be surprised at what it can do. It ticks for more than a priests renew and can be combined with regrowth if need be. Regrowth is a whole other story. Its the highest mana cost, doesn't heal a lot to start and HoT can be lacking if not combined with Rejuv. Regrowth is your WTF heal. Its fast, heals for decent amounts and the HoT can keep someone up until another heal can flow. I always go Regrowth Rejuv. This combo is the worst mana efficiency and if you have to use it a lot someone has screwed up.

But this is getting too long and I'm tired.

Great post!

Shadeaux

Post by Shadeaux » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:48 pm

Yeah sounds like your thoughts on healing druids were about the same as mine, and if not shown in the post, should have been. lol I agree with Regrowth and I did forget one thing about the healing in an area higher level than you. I do leave a full highest rank I have Healing Touch out as well as the lower level one for those OMG They need a heal times. :)

Thanks, and again if any of you druids out there have any questions, comments, complaints, rants, raves, WTFs, or stories of great druid victories... feel free to message me or mail me in game anytime.

As always.. Best of luck to ya,

-shak