2.3.2 Hunter Changes

Hunter class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Heartwood

2.3.2 Hunter Changes

Post by Heartwood » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 pm

2.3.2 appears to be going live today... Here's a section of the patch notes that appear very exciting:

" * Freezing Trap is no longer limited to one target at a time."

I'm not sure if this means it has a radius effect, or simply that so long as your CD is open, that you can freeze trap to your heart's content. Having not played a hunter myself....given the current CD, how many targets could be CC'ed using freezing traps?

-Heartwood
At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Lealla
Class Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Druid
WoW character gender: Female
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army

Post by Lealla » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:21 pm

With a 20 sec duration and 30 sec CD (24 with talents), you could in theory trap 2 mobs at the start of a fight, but you'd have to choose one to chain trap while letting the other one go.

Drizztdeurde

Post by Drizztdeurde » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:12 pm

this is actually a fix to a bug in 2.3, we had always been able to do this and no it's not really ALL that helpfull

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 70

Post by Ecnailla » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:51 pm

You can actually get 3 people trapped if you really want it.
If you are Surv. spec you can do the following CC stunt -

Lay frz. trap and wait for cooldown- pull mob into trap and instantly lay 2nd trap at feet of 2nd mob.
Shoot W.Sting into a 3rd mob and put it to sleep. Hit readyness and lay a 3rd trap for mob #4 and Shoot #5 with your 2nd W.sting. Your pet can tank a 6th mob if you want to count that as CC.

You have just CCed 5-6 mobs. Not easy to pull off and you would hardly ever actaully need to CC 5-6 mobs that way, but if you can pull it off with ease your run-of-the-mill chain trapping and cc in instances and pvp will be cake.

Drizztdeurde

Post by Drizztdeurde » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:53 pm

With the patch 2.3.2 came an undocumented change that completely changes the logics of shot rotation :
The autoshot is now unlinked to the "special" shots, thus there is at the moment almost no more clipping issue with autoshot.

This came after a hunter named Rubeus testing on the french official hunter forum tested several macros (to validate the "!") and it appeared that the following one was generating a lot more dps (with a bigger mana cost, of course) :

/cast !Auto shot
/cast [target=pettarget, exists] Kill command
/cast Steady shot
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Spamming this, the combat log is quite strange, but it generates 3 steady shots for 2 non clipping autoshots, (almost perfect optimization). Auto shot seems to be working like the white damage of rogues.

After doing some tests with Dr. Boom, I'm pretty sure all this is the result of some bug with "/cast !Auto Shot", and not the result of Blizzard unlinking Auto Shot from specials. To clarify the situation (because there seems to be some confusion), what's happening is that Auto Shots are still susceptible to clipping, but when they finally do go off, a "bonus" shot fires alongside it. When Steady Shot is responsible for the clipped shot, this results in an extra Auto Shot; if Multi-Shot was used, it seems to result in an extra, simultaneous Multi-Shot occurring (which is pretty awesome for an MM guy like myself, but lends credence to the "this is a bug" theory).

This only seems to occur with macros using "!Auto Shot" (in other words, use a manual rotation, and you'll still clip without bonuses). I wouldn't expect the fun to last, but it might be a good opportunity for folks to play around and see what life might be like in a world of "unlinked" Auto Shots.

I don't know if it is "working as intended", but if it is, it'a huge increase (around 20% extra dps).

This could also make some huge changes in some mechanisms... i.e. - haste items would not be messing up cycles. Going under 1.0 attack speed may be viable? Who knows.

It certainly need some more tests.
from http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t13107-hunt ... lustrated/

Quoted from Howitzer on WoW forums, one of the most intelligent hunters in WoW.

Explains why my timing was all fucked up last night.