MD 3 shot rotation

Hunter class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

deavth

MD 3 shot rotation

Post#1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:44 am

When i use MD on a tank my 3 shot rotation are as follows: Aimed, Steady, Arcane. Is this a good MD 3 shot rotation when agro is needed for a tank? I remember using the threat meter for pet to test and i found the that this is the best i found. is there others? what do others use?

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#2 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:49 am

The Aim Shot takes too long imo. On fights like Hydross where the tank immediately needs to reassert aggro I think you'll need something quicker, but I can't tell ya what rotation they use.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Ecnailla

Post#3 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:37 am

That is the rotation I use most of the time, even the few times I have done hydross on guen. The key to situations like this is know when to start. On Hydross I usually deselect the target stopping all autoshots, hit my MD macro (casting MD on my assigned tank without having to target them) and then start casting a aimed shot so it will hit right after he crosses the line. This can even save some dumbass who didn't stop dps when they were supposed to if you time it right. I then hit arcane shot while moving forward a step to clip any accidental auto shots and start casting steady shot. Use quarz just like a caster and you can start to move when your aimed shot is in the red preventing any accidental auoshots 100% of the time.
In situations where the tank needs aggro quick I hit my macro (casting it on my assigned tank instantly) and use Arcane, Steady, then I still usually throw an aimed shot in for two reasons. Either the mob has already switched back to my tank from the first two shots and I can afford to cook up an aimed shot to help set the aggro more or the mob didn't switch targets and this is my last shot to try to get it back on the tank and I don't want to waste it on an auto shot.
Aimed shot is usually avoided in any rotation b/c if you take it's damage compared to how long it takes to shoot the damage will always be less than if you had done any other rotation including just auto shots. MD changes your priorities from max damage in a given time frame to max aggro from 3 shots, so you can afford the loss in dmg.
Pull shot - even if the tank is running in, you can usually sit in range and time your aimed shot to hit about the time your tank runs in range.
Phase changes - you can usually anticipate the switch and time your aimed shot accordingly.
Emergences situations- make it your 3rd shot and hope your first two do the trick so the aimed is just icing on the cake. If a steady + arcane didn't do it, an auto isn't going to do much more for you.
Special Situations- Multi mob pulls- a multi shot will use all 3 charges in one shot, but it is a life saver when a mage body pulls 3 mobs and you can quickly get a MD multi onto your tank. Volley ignores MD.

Ecnailla

Post#4 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:51 am

I do have one other question for you Daevth... Is there a reason you are marksman? Or is that "just what you have always been"? (I hear that a lot)
At the moment the only really viable place for a marksman hunter is in arenas and that is only if they are a VERY skilled player with good gear. These players are usually a mix of MM and SV. The advantages of this spec are as follows:
Two interupts, silencing shot and scatter shot.
Improved traps, specifically frost trap with a chance to snare (mixed with imp volley at times)
Improved stings for mana draining, usually used with a scorpid to make it harder to cleanse the sting (B/c they have a chance to cleanse 5 scorpid posions instead of the sting)
They usually duel wield with intellect on each weapon to help combat the mana issues, but this is obviously a bad choice for pve.
If you primarily do 5 mans, raid, bg, or solo MM is a vastly inferior spec and you will do a lot less damage as a mm hunter than as a BM hunter. SV hutners can be used in pvp or end game raids with an insane amout of agi.
I guess my point is, have you considered BM? Because you probably should ; )

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#5 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 am

For the love of god ecn use paragraphs!
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Guenever
Demon Hunter

Post#6 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:57 am

I always hit Aimed Shot as soon as someone yells squirrel so it hits the mob about when Heart/Gnos gets there. I then follow with a quick Steady Shot and Arcane Shot so that I get both of them in before Auto Shot goes off.

On Hydross I cast MD as soon as he starts to shift so I hit him with Aimed Shot almost the second he crosses the line. This spares the previously mentioned people that have forgotten to stop DPS.

If I cast MD in the middle of a fight like Leo I hit with Steady, Arcane and Auto just because they're faster.

If you have a tank that you know will need some extra help setting agro I always pop Bloodlust Broach at the start of the pull so my MD shots hit that much harder.

zephar

Post#7 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:21 pm

what
I crit perception so hard that I could see why people love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

" I saw a baby [ panda ] sneeze in a video and it telepathicly gave me a bonar. Cosmic Powers "

deavth

Post#8 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:47 am

Ecn the reason I am a MM is probly due to the fact that TSA which increases AP, hunter mark wich adds melee, silent, shcatter and aimed shots. granted im not a pure MM i have few points in bm and sv to increase range and range ap. besides iv always been a MM hunter even when wow was in beta. guess i dont know any other specs that would work with my play style

Ecnailla

Post#9 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:20 am

Oh, i agree half those are more than worth the points- in fact I suggest going down to moral shots in MM, give you hunters mark and aimed shot.

A lot has changed since beta and BM has replaced MM as the dps tree for one reason- Serpent Swiftness. These are the most powerful 5 points in any tree of any class in the game. I know that sounds extreme, but 20% increased attack speed to both you and your pet is so OP its not even funny. That is an insane amount of haste from talents. It is a common misconception that most of a BM hunters damage comes from their pet. I can out dps any MM with like gear even if we have pets put away.

Before Guenever respeced, she had more attack power and a higher chance to crit than Tag. He tore her damage up raid after raid. This is because even if his shots didn't hit as hard or crit as often, he was putting 20% more shots into bosses than she was. The added dps from his pet was just icing on the cake.

I hear the "I have always been MM" a lot. Pre BC it was king and before the nerfed aimed shot and changed the way agility was calculated - yes- MM rocked. I was MM for a long time. But with the changes that have been made you are simply trading a significant amount of damage for silencing shot and scatter shot. The talents that increase attack power or damage in any other way are null and void because they don't hold a candle (even all added together) to serpent swiftness.

Tag was like this. He was MM pre bc, leveled to 70 MM and started raiding MM. I started asking him if he had considered BM and he eventually gave it a shot. He is now a hard core BM hunter and leads damage meters quite often.

I agree silencing shot is a sacrifice you will have to take, but you can easily use intimidation off your pet instead of scatter shot a lot of the time, so you are basically only giving up one move for much, much higher damage and an easier shot rotation. Because of the speed difference, your shot rotation is just steady shot, auto shot over and over.

A lot of people want to hold on to there MM spec for better or worse, till death do you part. If you just can't give it up, so be it - there are things I do in game just because I want to, not because they make sense - so I understand. I just try to be the BM advocate and make sure other hunters understand that, mathematically, they can NEVER do as well speced MM as they would BM.

I would give BM a shot if I were you. It will take a week or so to get used to the changes, but most people see the improvement right away.

Guenever
Demon Hunter

Post#10 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:54 am

Ecn forgets to say as survival I quite often out DPS the BM hunters because my crit is around 40% raid buffed. If you like the ability to do something other than just spam steady shot, you might try survival. I didn't even have to change my shot rotation macro and I'm not OM as often. But I do miss SS in PvP...

Ecnailla

Post#11 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:26 am

I didn't forget anything... I don't suggest survival until you have insane gear, as guen does. And I only suggest it in a raid setting. She has over 1000 agi raid buffed. If you can do that and there isn't another surv hunter around, sure- go for it. Or if you want better CC in pvp (or for some reason prefer better CC in pve over dmg) - its a viable option. But as a general dps class - BM is the only option to maximize your performance. There are other options, but they are the equivalent of nerfing yourself. That said, I use better looking gear over better gear on my alts all the time, thus nerfing myself - so even i do stuff like this at times, but the fact still remains, except in extream cases, BM is the highest dps spec for hunters.
The buffs hunters give their group matter too and I know a lot of people like trueshot aura, but it falls flat on its face compared to the BM and SV buffs. TSA gives a flat ap buff that never changes. A naked hunter gives the same buff a T6 hunter would. This isn't so with SV and BM. SV gives the ENTIER RAID a quarter of her agi in AP. That is more of a buff than TSA and it effects more people. BM hunters buff their party only, but it isnt just melee - they do 3% dmg to everyone. Tanks, casters, melee. and it stacks, so 2 BM hunters give you a 6% buff. And because it is a percent, it scales with your gear - 3% buffed on a T5 rogue is a better buff than 3% on a rogue in greens. It would go a long way if blizz would change TSA to scale with gear, but at the moment it is just one more reason to avoid MM in PVE.

Tagaal
Demon Hunter

Post#12 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:58 pm

BM all the way. All I have to say.

Tag

Return to “Hunter”