Team DPS

Mage class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Elleandra

Team DPS

Post by Elleandra » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Okay mages, it's time to get cracking on the build-up for Gruul's unjesuslike dps needs. Since we mages have to do all we can to make these other DPSers look inferior, we have to get crackin!

What I propose is to work extra hard to help each other out. Whether it's gear, spec'ing, macroing, whatever. We just have to raise yawamage to the next level and really lead the way in blowing the piss out of things.

The first matter of business is spec help. If you aren't set up with the right talents gear is not gonna save your bacon. As shown in other threads here and elsewhere, the advantage goes to the deep fire spec when we're looking at heavy DPS. This spec is 10/48/3. Right now I think it is fair to say that heavy DPS is absolutely our need.

This spec gives you a lot of hit on every kind of spell in the arsenal and plenty of fireball boosting.

Some observations:

If you aren't maxed in spell hit, you should be replacing all your spell crit gems. Spell crit is far weaker than spell hit in terms of DPS gain AND you get less crit bonus per rating bonus than you do with hit! Dump the crit, get the hit! If the gem synergy bonus is something crappy (usually the case) do not feel bound by it. I suggest using the veiled noble topaz cut for all red and yellow gem slots. Until your hit is capped, this gem is superior to the +9 spell damage gem.

My current set-up is weak in hit points. In places like Gruul's Lair this is a concern. Let me repeat, glass canons in Gruul's Lair have a high risk of being shattered (literally!) Keep your spell hit high, but don't throw hit points down the drain, either. This remains a problem, but if I'm extremely attentive I can still survive. As others have pointed-out, a dead mage does 0 dps. :cry:

We should figure out our gear shortcomings and if there are chances to address them in instances, I'd like to jump right on it. I haven't seen a ton of great heroic mage gear, but if there is something we need out there, let's go get it. For what lies ahead we should be squeezing every drop of dps out of our gear. :teeth:

Drizztdeurde

Post by Drizztdeurde » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:24 pm

IF you guys need help doing runs let me know I know Kali is like a half a SH run from getting exhaulted and whatever it is he needs from there. I would encourage all our DPS classes to start getting an idea of where the Gear they need drops from. I'm willing to help in any way,shape or form you guys need :) You could def. see we need to up our DPS in the Gruul fight, that and learn how not to die quickly both attempts I know I was dead in like 30 seconds, like Elle said Survival is key, dead DPS type=0 dps............

Elleandra

Post by Elleandra » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:29 pm

We got Kali HH exalted last night, but I still could use that, unless I get a Prince or Gruul drop, of course.

Thanks for the offer of help, too! The problem with every place is that you have some folks who are geared to the gills, and some who are quite a ways behind. With mages this issue becomes truly irritating because of some majorly stupid bottlenecks. I have a feeling other DPS ranged has the same problem!

Three of the big upgrades for mages drop off Prince in Kara, for instance. That's really crappy to have one mob hold so much for us. The dagger off Prince alone is (by my estimates) worth at least 25 dps gain over my current weapon. That's off the charts for one item.

Still, we'll see what we can do with heroics and faction rep grinds. They can help a bit, and that's better than nothing.

Elleandra

Post by Elleandra » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:37 pm

Another point..

Last night we did well at keeping scorch up on the mobs pretty much constantly. This was great. Going forward, we should remember to assign a scorch upkeep duty. The first scorch blasts should be shared between two mages to race towards full fire vulnerability. After that, I think max dps and safety (at least in Gruul's) would lead us to have just one person maintain the improved scorch debuff while everyone else hits with fireball. I don't think it's safe for us to close distance and use fire blasts on Gruul. In the High King fight, however, this should be possible one many of the mobs.

What do you think?

Drizztdeurde

Post by Drizztdeurde » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:45 pm

Gear wise it's pretty much the same here. I need Sonic Spear of Murmer or Legend of Crone and then the bow of Prince to really get a substantial upgrade. Hopefully we all stop doing the me,me,me on instance runs, i.e I NEED to go here blah blah and just go somewhere to help out whomever, it all comes around in the end. Biggest thing is the need for healers and tanks to be willing to do runs to help the rest of us out there has really been a lacking of that recently as far as 5 mans....For raids we seem to have a Ton.

Colder

Post by Colder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:56 pm

i'm going to work on getting more hit this week, there a couple items that i need but not many and Scyers blood gem and i'm going to re-enchant my gloves should give me a slight boost, the other items i have to look into.

Elleandra

Post by Elleandra » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:02 pm

Drizz, is that spear a heroic only drop or is it in the normal Murmur encounter as well?

Rayhort

Post by Rayhort » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:53 pm

The offhand and the trinket from heroic badges are a couple great things to work on outside of raids as well. You won't find an upgrade to those in the raid sphere for some time. I have to say I'm fairly disgusted as the prospect of leveling another char so I'll be around most evenings to help with runs.

On the survivability issue I'll add that I had a very similar problem when I first hit 25 mans and didn't have good Tier gear. Most of the crafted stuff and good early caster gear pitches stam for DPS stats. One thing that can help is mitigating this stam loss by subbing in some of the good pvp pieces. I have been working on this myself lately by getting the veteran's bracers and I'll get my merciless robe soon. Gruul and Magtheridon are really the "proving grounds" to see if your raid is really prepared to take on SSC/TK. Once we are able to down those two bosses then our gear should really bee good enough that we can start making some serious headway into SSC and TK.

I think our boss kill order will go somehting like High King->Lurker->Gruul->Void Reaver->Magtheridon->Tidewalker->Leotheras/Hydross/Solarion->Fathom Lord->A'lar So make sure you read up on those earlier fights.

Elleandra

Post by Elleandra » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:26 am

I would really like to push my dps up a ways. I'm not doing well on Gruul. What's more annoying is that the practice runs don't seem to be getting me the kind of improvement I want. I did the first fight perfectly, but the second run I hit someone twice with a shatter. One time it was very minor, the second I was stuck very close to another person. I am having trouble seeing where the safe spots are, and there were more people near my safe spot the second time than the first.

Elleandra

Post by Elleandra » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:28 pm

I've found a few items to help me deal with my omg where's the hp problem..

I need three jaggal pearls and three of those shadow pearls and I can put together a head item that, when gemmed properly, will give me like 600 hit points.

It takes some dps away, yes, but in non-dps races that thing is gonna rock for me.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32776

That + stamina gems will give me a ton of hit point boost at the cost of a about one or two percent of dps. I think I'll put this on for fights like Netherspite and possibly Shade as well.

Drizztdeurde

Post by Drizztdeurde » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:40 pm

I might have the pearls, I have a ton of green gems I've aquired, hit me up later on tonight and I'll look for you.

Can anyone craft relentless earthstorm diamond?? or do the transmute i have the matts for that. Kinda hijacked this thread on that one sorry.

But if anyone needs any help in heroics I'm always game :) I need badges for my cloak and trinket.

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 pm

for the most part, it seems that gear is fairly good if you're decked out in either crafted gear or 5-man/heroic gear with green and blue gems plus all the requisite enchants (head shoulder pants + whatever enchants to boost dps/heal etc).

I've pretty much gotten to that point so for me I'd have to run some heroics and trade badges for the offhand and dmg trinket. Not to mention get lucky switching schedule around so I can get in on kara raids and roll for cura staff or prince dagger =\

Lealla
Class Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Druid
WoW character gender: Female
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army

Post by Lealla » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:21 pm

Drizztdeurde wrote:I might have the pearls, I have a ton of green gems I've aquired, hit me up later on tonight and I'll look for you.

Can anyone craft relentless earthstorm diamond?? or do the transmute i have the matts for that. Kinda hijacked this thread on that one sorry.

But if anyone needs any help in heroics I'm always game :) I need badges for my cloak and trinket.
I have green gems (lots of 'em) on Brendore and a truckload of Jaggal Pearls as well on Gilkarg. Lealla can do the transmute.

Drizztdeurde

Post by Drizztdeurde » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Cool :) I'll hit u up tonight.

Elleandra

Post by Elleandra » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:33 pm

I have more green gems than I know what to do with. I'll pay for any pearls. Jaggal's aren't worth much IIRC, but the shadow pearls are still substantial, I think.