EP/Pawn values

Mage class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

EP/Pawn values

Post#1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:40 am

Where is a good place to find EP/Pawn values for different mage specs? Have you found any Gnomer?

Gnomerman

Post#2 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 am

the post that elven posted about the theory crafting had some numbers in one of the tables that equate very well to relative value.

i have not seen published wotlk ep values for mages, or rather i havn't seen any from a reliable source.

i'll give you a summary of what i've been seing

frostfire
dmg=1
hit=.9
crit=.8
haste=.75
int=.25
mp5=.1
pen=~0
spi=0

for fire crit is worth slightly less, and is on par with haste
similar is true for frost

for arcane, the stats are completely different. i don't have numbers, but spirit is useful (honestly spirit is the most worthless stat right now for mages, yet it goes on our gear).

as arcane i'd value intelect as the "yellow" stat.
sp>int>haste>crit>spir (assuming hit capped)

but as far as raiding is concerned, at this point you should be frostfire spec. this spec is about stacking crit. i am building a best item list (when i have down time at work). spellpower, in my opinion, is the best stat for a mage, regardless. the next best stat for a frostfire mage is crit. Ideally, in my happy world i would have enough hit to get to 264 (10%.. relying on drainie and sp) then all the gear would be stam int crit dmg gear with some haste sprinkled in on some items. if two items are the same ilvl, and only one has spirit, there is a good chance the other one is better. the change to imp ds, and the amount of mana regen from the other classes (its based on % regen now so int is a better stat to begin with), blizz has effectivly killed spirit at this gear lvl (ilvl 213).

one thing i've noticed, is frostfire bolt is looking like it will be the destro lock of tbc. not in the way that it is super op, but in the way that it scales, and gearing.

so moral of the story. avoid spirit, spellpower is the awesomesuace, and take crit over haste every time. aim for 264 hit (which is really easy to do, im in mostly T6 lvl gear and with a couple trinkets and a crappy weapon im hit capped wihout problem). it is possible to hit cap with only 4 items. i've seen some items that have over 80 hit on them.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

Post#3 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:38 am

Well, I'm not looking at raid specs or anything like that, since we are only allowing people to only raid on one toon. I'm just looking for values as I level to pick the right piece.

Gnomerman

Post#4 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:33 pm

well if your not talking about a raiding scenerio... ie gearing up for heroics and maybe some 10 mans later down the line, there is a difference. if you are lvling your mage, i HIGHLY suggest you level deep frost. there are many reasons to do so (i can't wait till dual spec comes out and i can have my offspec be deep frost so i can aoe farm again).

as frost its all about the spellpower, and haste. crit is nice, because you have a decent crit multiplier, but you also get 10% more to your frostbold anyway. for frost dmg>haste>>crit. however, more stam and int help greatly as you level.

on my mage (1270 sp 140 haste 270 crit 160 hit @lvl 70) replaced very few pieces of gear lvling up. i however saw many items that were slightly lower dps wise, but had a lot more stam and int.

to answer your questions:

the items you pick up will have lower dps stats, but much higher base stats. that is going to be the case predominantly as your lvling up. your mage is in T4 lvl gear if i remember correclty. you probably won't replace anything (except trinkets) until lvl 76 or so.

at 80 i would stay as frost to do dungeons and heroics until you get all lvl 80 blues+ i would reccomending having a nice balance of crit and haste. haste will be worth more, but spell power is worth about 1.5x crit or haste. the elemental precision bug still exists (and works with frostfirebolt), so you get 6% hit from EP with your frost spells only (your fire spells only get 3% with the ep bug).

for leveling i was using mage armor, and with the improved mage armor glyph, that allows for 50% mana regen while casting, and this makes solo leveling go much faster, because you have significantly more uptime, and you get some extra resist to magic. in 5 mans, where you don't have a reliable mana regen source, mage armor is nice. glyph'd molten armor provides 5% more crit, but 50% mana regen while casting is very nice (i remember being arcane specced, and whith glyph'd mage armor i was at 80% mana regen while casting. too bad the damage rotation now doesn't use enough mana for that to be useful... arcane blast is kinda broken atm), but 50% mana regen is amazing for uptime.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#5 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:46 pm

http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraf ... mpleOutput

Scale Factors, 2nd section from the top. Choose the spec, there's some rough EP values.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

Post#6 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:29 pm

I've gone over that page and picked some values for a 0/53/18 spec. I was just asking to see if Gnomer had seen something in the different mage forums that I don't know about. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Mage”