slow fall (kinda important)

Mage class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Gnomerman

slow fall (kinda important)

Post#1 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:08 pm

in the upcoming patch, slowfall will be castable on others (this applies to priests and levitate as well... *cough* elven *cough*

since you will be able to cast slow fall on others, if you have a friendly target targeted, no matter how far away they are, you will have to hold alt to cast slowfall onto yourself.

Gnomer why is this useful?

im just warning you that if you use slowfall a lot, or even at all (its great in AB), be mindful of your target, cuz you might be falling, and be ready to hit slow fall, and wonder why it says target is not in range as you die at the bottom of what you jumped down.

also very bored at work today.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Ecnailla

Post#2 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:28 pm

might help with people not making the jump on Thadius.

Ginxx

Post#3 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:32 pm

lol

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#4 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Possibly, although strategic party groups might also help; i.e., put Hunters with AotP in with the classes that can't speed buff themselves.

My old 40-man Naxx guild used to distribute Swiftness Potions to help with that jump. ;-)

Gnomerman

Post#5 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:44 pm

there is no that mages will be able to cast 25 slow falls for that one thaddius jump. it'd be difficult and time consuming, considering the timeframe to do it, and it. however, people that have problems with the jump (sorry stask, i can't help but point at you) can get a slowfall.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#6 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Ugh, no Rogue or Druid should ever miss the jump. With Dash/Sprint up, you can run straight off the edge without jumping and land safely. I don't know if the speed boost from Cheetah/Pack is enough, but it certainly can't hurt either.

Ecnailla

Post#7 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:09 pm

You automatically have half that number due to the split and you will usually have 1-2 other players on your side that can cast it, cutting that number in half (at least) again.

2-3 priests.... 2-3 mages... 4-6 people able to cast a "slow fall" type effect... When the two mini bosses get to about 3% spam it on about 4-6 people on your side. Make sure you hit the person tanking the boss and fall prone people first... I bet lealla can even come up with a macro that would cast it on a mouse over only if they don't have the buff so you can just go down your raid frames of people in range and spam the macro. One mage start at the top of the raid frame, one start at the bottom.

Sure, you won't get everyone, but you would cover a majority of the raid and reduce the chance of having anyone fall by a large margin. The odds of someone falling seem to be about 3-4 out of 25 at most, putting slow fall on 60+% of the raid, selectively choosing who to hit first, could possibly cut the number of falls to 0.

Sure you could just argue people should learn to jump, but on a fight where we need all our dps up and 2-3 fall; saying they should have made the jump won't help you kill the boss.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#8 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:17 pm

Macros can't distinguish between players by class or with/without a buff or debuff. But a very simple one would be:

Code: Select all

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:SELFCAST,target=player][target=mouseover,help,nodead][] Slow Fall

Change the spell name for Levitate, of course. Then just hover your mouse over each player in turn, press the bound key, and voila.

One problem is that both spells break on taking damage, IIRC, so timing is a critical issue. You'd pretty much have to prioritize critical (tanks for example) or fall-prone players.

Brulan

Post#9 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Ecnailla wrote:Sure you could just argue people should learn to jump, but on a fight where we need all our dps up and 2-3 fall; saying they should have made the jump won't help you kill the boss.

Lrn2jump nub!
No.

Ecnailla

Post#10 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:28 pm

Bru... i'm white. I can't jump.

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#11 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:30 pm

lern2autoruninastraightlinethenpressthespacebaronyourkeyboardassoonasyourcamerabumpsupcuzyourtoonjusthitthelipoftheplatform

works every time.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Brulan

Post#12 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Ecnailla wrote:Bru... i'm white. I can't jump.

I'm sorry i'm racist against non blue space goats.

GTFO of my spaceship.
No.

Ecnailla

Post#13 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:57 pm

...at least i dont have perma-blueballs.

Gnomerman

Post#14 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:58 pm

last time i checked slow fall did not go away by taking dmg (i've cast it and jumped off a cliff many times to get away when too many mobs were coming.

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#15 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:02 pm

Slow Fall doesn't break with dmg but Levitate does.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Return to “Mage”