[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
WotLK Paladin Talents and Abilities Review - Page 2 - Clan YaWA - You and Whose Army

WotLK Paladin Talents and Abilities Review

Paladin class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#16 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:13 pm

I can handle dropping Reckoning, although it hurts - you have to remember that you not only get the extra physical attacks with it, but also Seal and Judgement procs.

I've also been thinking about Divine Guardian and I have to admit that it does have one severe drawback, which is its use with the revamped Divine Protection. As it is, DP is designed as a shield wall for Paladin tanks, but combined with Divine Guardian, it could easily get a main tank killed in short order. I think Blizzard is going to have to remove Divine Guardian's effect on Divine Protection (while leaving the Divine Shield effect) for it to be a viable raid talent.

Obanswrath

Post#17 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#18 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Stask

Post#19 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:29 pm

"I am unworthy of any respect. True story." -Brulan

Recorded for posterity. He had no idea how right he was.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#20 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:47 pm

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#21 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:30 am

Some new updates: Divine Guardian no longer affects Divine Protection (thank God), and Sacred Duty now does affect Divine Protection.

Crusader Strike does not refresh Judgements (boo) anymore. However, with the new Judgement system it's no longer as difficult to maintain them.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#22 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Based on the latest talent changes...

my planned grinding spec for Brendore, starting at level 70.

my idea for a maxed out level 80 PvE Retadin.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#23 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:53 am

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the Protection tree once the 3.0 patch comes out before the expansion. Do you go for , or do you go for the most mitigation possible with?

Inquiring minds want to know. I stand by my choices in the Retribution tree, FYI.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#24 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Virek
Demon Hunter

Post#25 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:24 pm

correction. shield spec was rolled into redoubt not reckoning. redoubt is now 3 ranks. reckoning was improved to any blocked damage or damage taken has a 10% chance to grant an extra attack.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#26 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Huh, I could've sworn I meant to type Redoubt.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#27 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:55 am

So... I got on PTRs yesterday for about a half-hour, and aside from dealing with the crushing lag, I got to test out the new Retribution stuff on some normal mobs in Nagrand. There's an awful lot of posting about how disgustingly OP Ret is now, and I wanted to see for myself.

Even with a very small sample size to play with and no addons to monitor my damage output, I'd say that my DPS more than doubled. Plus, after killing 5 mobs, I had full health and mana. I never had to go through a full damage rotation on non-elites because my targets died before any of my cooldowns were up. One Judgement and one Crusader Strike were enough to finish off everything.

Oh, and Divine Storm is sick - I decided to try it out on a single mob and it's basically like Whirlwind except that it deals Holy damage (so no armor mitigation). 2500 crit on an air elemental (!!), 500 of which healed me.

I never even got to try out the free FoL from Art of War, but I tried out some Holy Lights on myself and was healing for about 1.2K more than I get on live, thanks to the AP->Spellpower conversion. My base AP was also about 100 higher.

I had to Alt-F4 in Nagrand because the server died from lag, but I look forward to some more off-night testing later this week.

Some other observations:
* The new mount/pet storage is kind of cool, except that it's a pain in the ass to cast spells from it in macros. I figured out how my Charger worked but couldn't get my Purple Riding Nether Ray fixed. For now, I'm clicking on it from the mount interface.
* To add mounts/pets, you have to right-click on the object, which "teaches" you the spell. Currently, the items remain in your inventory after use, so you have to destroy them manually. It feels very awkward and I hope the interface improves.
* Activating a mount from the mount storage seems to be on the GCD, despite Blizzard's claims otherwise.
* "Where did my mounts go?" is the single most frequently asked question on the PTR.
* The command to bring up mount storage is Shift-P.

* The new badge/mark/whatever storage system is awesome. However, on the PTRs it's currently bugged so that you only get credit for one stack of each type of item (so if you have more than 200 Badges of Justice, it only credits you for one stack).
* The calendar system is interesting. I wasn't in a guild so I couldn't see if it supports signups (doubtful), but it'll be nice to have our schedule posted for everyone to see.
* It's fun to look at all the Achievements you get credited for initially.

I'll look at the Druid changes later in the week as well. For those of you interested in going on the PTRs yourselves, I've heard that the PvP realm is a lot less laggy.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#28 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:45 am

Okay, well, the PTR is a lot happier this morning, so I was able to get on and really work Brendore with the 8970 build changes. I'll say this, if those are all the nerfs that are coming Ret's way, I'm not exactly upset.

So far, I can take out groups of 5-8 normal mobs without the slightest sweat, and I utterly nuked the elite giants in Netherstorm - came out with full health and mana. is the build I've settled on.

I'm going to try bigger elites later to see how much it takes to actually bring me down.

Update: Successfully soloed Levixus.
Update 2: Soloed Ruul the Darkener (barely, needed DS+HL and a LoH).
Update 3: I met Ken online and we 2-manned Durn, Grulloc, Maggoc, and Skulloc, as well as the two Forge Camps in Nagrand (well, some uninvited guests helped on Durn and Skulloc). Then for S&Gs, we ran normal Slave Pens and cleared it in about 40 mins, no wipes, not even any close calls. We probably could have done double or triple pulls, but I was being conservative.

I don't have a working damage meter but I wouldn't be surprised to find Brendore at 1700+ DPS, more than double live. Can I make him my raid main in 3.0? lol
Last edited by Lealla on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#29 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:50 pm

Some more thoughts on specific changes and abilities.

Heart of the Crusader: Shows up as a separate debuff on mobs now, so you can see when it's up. Very nice.
Retribution Aura/Imp RA: It's doing 180-200 damage a tick now at my current gearing level - more than a 5x increase.
Consecration: Also significantly buffed. 110-120 damage per tick, a good 50% increase over live.
Repentance: The 1 minute duration is insanely awesome. I played with it in SP and it's going to be a wonderfully effective CC ability, limited only by the inability to recast if it breaks.
Judgements of the Wise: Restores about 1.1K mana per Judgement, plus the Replenishment effect, enough to keep me topped off unless I go nuts with Holy Wrath and Exorcism. Replenishment lasts around 10 sec, FYI, for a total of about 2.5% mana regen per application, but I didn't pay enough attention to be sure.
The Art of War: Not only does this provide an instant FoL surprisingly often, but when that FoL crits (around 1.9K on PTR), I get the HoT effect from Sheath of Light. Synergy ftw.
Sanctified Wrath: Hammer of Wrath crits for 3K - about 75% of the time. Instant cast. Doesn't interrupt the swing timer. Yeah.
Divine Storm: This ability is... insane. That's the only way I can think to describe it. It needs a higher cooldown, or higher mana cost, or something. I can hold as many mobs as I like with Consecrate and just annihilate them with DS. I was doing pulls in SP where the other mobs in the group would be at <35% health before I finished off my current target, and I could immediately start hammering them down.

Managing my rotation is a bitch - there are just too many cooldowns to keep track of. Judgement and Crusader Strike at a minimum for single-target dps, then Divine Storm and Consecration in any situation where I don't risk breaking CC. Hammer of Wrath once the mob gets low on health. Exorcism for undead/demons. It got to the point where I was watching my cooldowns as much as the game world.

Oh, and for Holy Paladins, Beacon of Light is sexy. But you knew that already. :-)

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#30 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:42 pm

Hmm, so... I went on PTRs again today, with Recount and some other DPS addons, and put Brendore through his paces.

I soloed Valzareq the Conqueror and all of his adds.
I ran through Netherwing Mines without going oom or using a pot.
I cleared Strat - both Live and Dead - in just under an hour, including some of the optional bosses - without eating, drinking or potting. I killed Baron Rivendare and Balnazzar in 34 sec each.

My sustained DPS throughout Strat was about 1800 - mind you that this includes all the AoE fun. Single-target in Outland, I was measuring 1000-1100 DPS.

Not bad.

Update: soloed normal Hellfire Ramparts in 24 minutes. I tried Shattered Halls but got stomped; the mobs hit too hard.
Update 2: soloed normal Blood Furnace in about 40 minutes, counting family interruptions.

Return to “Paladin”