Judgement of Light = no threat in 3.0.8

Paladin class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Lealla
Class Leader

Judgement of Light = no threat in 3.0.8

Post#1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:10 am

Thread on MMO Champion

Ghostcrawler wrote:I realize this thread is a month old, but I couldn't find a more recent discussion of the issue.

One of the changes in 3.0.8 that we may or may not have announced is that we changed Judgment of Light to do no threat in order to fix some of this seemingly random behavior. We aren't trying to nerf Prot paladin threat overall with this change.

The topic came up again recently when Protadin OTs were accidentally pulling off the MT with huge threat spikes while tanking adds etc.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:53 am

For those of you who have not read the MMO Champion article, the gist of the matter is that, currently, effective heals from Judgement of Light give threat to the Paladin who cast it. This means that on fights where there is significant raid damage, Paladin tanks who use JoL get enormous amounts of burst threat. In contrast, if any other Paladin (say, Retribution, whose JoL is much more powerful) uses it instead, they get huge amounts of threat, enough to risk pulling off the tank.

To abate this issue, Blizzard is removing threat from the JoL heal.

Note that there is apparently a separate problem where, with multiple Paladins Judging Light/Wisdom, Holy Paladins may not be properly benefitting from their talented haste effect.

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

Post#3 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:50 am

Note that there is apparently a separate problem where, with multiple Paladins Judging Light/Wisdom, Holy Paladins may not be properly benefitting from their talented haste effect.

How so? Every time my judgement hits, I get my haste buff. Granted, I use Judgement of Justice, so I don't overwrite another pallies judgement.

Ecnailla

Post#4 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 am

After the patch you will have judg. of the pure i think, which even with the removal of threat from judge of light- our total threat could stay the same if not go up.

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

Post#5 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:03 am

I already have judgement of the pure, which is the haste buff that I've been using and that Lealla is talking about.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#6 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:53 am

What Blizzard said is that they were looking at reports where you might not get the haste buff if your Judgement of Light got preempted by a stronger version from a different Paladin. I have no personal experience of the issue.

Judgements of the Pure is too deep in the Holy tree to be accessible to Protection Paladins, so it won't have any benefit for them. Blizzard has promised to look at threat generation to make sure it isn't penalized by this change, but in general, you'd prefer to have the Protection Paladin judging Wisdom and the Retribution Paladin judging Light, because the latter will be stronger. Justice is a throwaway in PvE normally.

The main problem that sparked the concern was with Protadin offtanks judging Light and unintentionally pulling aggro because of massive healing spikes.

Sionnaine

Post#7 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:07 pm

Kendalh, the issue was a bug. I encountered multiple times in raids. It was hotfixed according to Ghostcrawler.
- Sionnaine -

Return to “Paladin”