Guide to the Charger Mount
The real quest to get your charger starts off with two quests, simultaneously given to you by the Paladin trainer in Stromwind Cathedral, Lord Grayson Shadowbreaker... However, there is an optional step first.
0a) Lord Grayson Shadowbreaker
- If you go to a different NPC first (Duthorian Rall or Brandur Ironhammer), you'll be given a quest to go and see Lord Grayson Shadowbreaker about your charger. This step is optional.
This is where the real quest begins. Quests 1a and 2a are given to you simultaneously by Lord Grayson Shadowbreaker.
1a) Emphasis on Sacrifice
- This sends you to Ironforge to see High Priest Rohan (Mystic Ward) to pay 150g for an "Exorcism Censer".
When you have it, the quest will change to:
1b) To Show Due Judgement
- This is just a filler. Take the Exorcism Censer back to Lord Grayson to end this and move on to quest 1c.
1c) The Exorcism of Terrordale
- This Sends you to Terrordale in the Eastern Plaguelands to kill 25 Terrordale Spirits. Terrordale is the region in the NW corner of the map. The easiest way to get here is to go through the cave on the bank of the river at the very western edge of EPL. When you come out of the cave, keep walking straight and you'll see various regions of green haze. Use the censer at these to summon Terrordale Spirits.
Aside: Have your Argent Dawn Commision equipped and these guys will drop Invader's Scourgestones. These will come in handy later on if you aren't already Friendly or higher with the Argent Dawn.
Be prepared to fight the spirits two or three at a time. You should be able to do it on your own, but it will take you quite a long time. If you bring a friend, you should finish in no time. When you kill 25, head back to Stormwind to see Lord G.S. again. Turn the quest in and you're done with this branch. If you finished branch #2 first, then you can skip to #3.
At the beginning, along with 1a, you're given:
2a) The Work of Grimand Elmore
- You're sent to a Dwarf in the Dwarven quarter of Stormwind, Grimand Elmore. You've probably run quests for him before. If you haven't, he's in a house between the mining trainer and the area with the blacksmith trainer and anvils. He gives you:
2b) Collection of Goods
- Grimand sends you on a mission to collect:
10 Arthas Tears
6 Arcanite Bars
5 Stratholme Holy Water
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree (just kidding)
bring all these back, and he'll make you an Arcanite Barding for your mount, and apparantly it's just as good, if not better, than the one that Grayson Shadowbreaker himself uses. This sparks the quest:
2c) Grimand's Finest Work
- This is another filler quest, and should take you no more than two minutes to complete. Here's a complete guide:
Leaving the house that Grimand is in, mount up, and go right, left, right, left, right over the bridge, left right, right, left, right, up the stairs, around the central post, left, and straight up to Grayson Shadowbreaker. Bring him the Barding to get:
2d) Ancient Equine Spirit
- This sends you to Dire Maul to get your barding blessed... but you're told that first you need to stop off in Southshore to get a special kind of Horse Feed. Go to Southshore and find Meredith Carlson. She's in some stables that you should be able to see from where you land at the flight point.
Talk to her and you'll be given the quest:
2e) Manna-Enriched Horse Feed
- From here, you need to go to the Western Plaguelands. If you already have friendly or higher reputation with the Argent Dawn, go to the quartermaster next to the flight point and buy 20 Manna-Enriched Biscuits. If you aren't friendly, kill some Undead for a while, turn in scourgestones, do a couple of strath or scholo runs, etc, and go back to the quartermaster when you have a high enough reputation. The biscuits set you back 2g,40s if you're friendly, or 2g,16s if you're honored.
Return to Southshore with the biscuits and 50g to get the Manna-Enriched Horse Feed.
Now you're back on track for 2d, Ancient Equine Spirit
- Continue on to Dire Maul. The instance you want is Dire Maul West. Go in, and kill Tethendris Warpwood (the massive, massive tree... and one of the first bosses in the instance). This will make the Ancient Equine Spirit appear. Talk to it, and you'll place your barding on it, and the barding will become a Blessed Arcanite Barding.
You'll also get the quest
2f) Blessed Arcanite Barding
- Just another filler, this quest will send you back to Grayson Shadowbreaker with your barding. Turn it in and you're done with this branch.
If you've already completed branch #1, continue on, otherwise, go back and complete that branch. Regardless of the order in which the quests are completed, when both branches are finished, you can receive the next step of the quest from Lord Grayson Shadowbreaker.
3) The Divination Scryer
- This is the final bit that will have you running around. You need an Azerothian Diamond and a Pristine Black Diamond to turn your Exorcism Censor into a Divination Scryer, which starts the event you need to complete to redeem your Charger's spirit. Bring the diamonds back to Lord Grayson to complete the quest.
4) Judgement and Redemption
- This requires a 5-man scholo run. The ideal group, IMO, is 3 paladins, a priest and a mage. Take the group to the Ossuary basement (Rattlegore's room), and clear it. Then rest and buff up as much as you can.
Use the Divination Scryer. It'll physically place it on the floor, and spirits will start to appear. Using a Paladin's judgements on them should stun them and do AoE damage. Specific judgements must be unleashed on specific spirits:
Wave 1: Banality -> Seal of Wisdom (rank 3)
Wave 2: Malicious -> Seal of Justice (rank 1)
Wave 3: Corrupted -> Seal of Righteousness (rank 8)
Wave 4: Shadowed -> Seal of Light (rank 4)
Don't spam the judgements, but rotate them between Paladins. The effects last about 4 seconds, so using 3 Paladins will keep them stunned 100% of the time (judgement's untalented cooldown is 10 seconds in patch 1.9), and 2 Paladins, both with improved Judgement will be just as effective.
In my opinion, this is most easily completed in the Northeast corner of the room. Always be sure to refresh the party as much as possible (potions, heals, buffs, rezzes, etc.)
Refresh Seals immediately after judging to make sure that they're always available.
Remember that in this case, using Exorcism or Holy Wrath is just a waste of mana.
My suggested auras are (assuming 3 Paladins): Shadow Resistance, Devotion and Concentration.
One way or another, kill all four waves of spirits to bring forth the deathknight. The Deathknight isn't too bad, but be prepared for a long fight. Don't blow all your mana early... make sure you have some to finish the job. Using Seal/Judgement of Light and Wisdom will help keep everyone's health and mana up. Avoid using two-handers (you need the Paladins tanking), since it won't speed up the fight all that much. Additionally, consecration and Holy Shock are just big wastes of mana.
Lay on Hands is a pretty good trick here, since at highest rank it will restore some mana too. If you find yourself running out of health and you have no mana left, LoH yourself to refill all your health and about 800 mana. You could also do this to someone else (what a concept, eh? not enough Paladins do) to restore THIER health and mana.
Failing the quest at any point after you've started the event is rough, since, if you wipe, all the doors to the Ossuary basement close and you have to reset the instance, as well as abandon the quest and take it again (i.e. just have to redo this part... not the whole damned thing), which involves a trip to Stormwind. If you can stop a wipe with Divine Intervention, Soulstone, etc. Than you can keep going, but you can't re-enter the Ossuary if you wipe completely.
Victory: When you finally complete the event, you physically get the charger (i.e. complete the quest) by looting the charger's soul from the Deathknight's body. Run over to the Divination Scryer thats on the ground and use (right click) the soul in your inventory. Go over to the ghost horse and complete the quest. You should now have the "Summon Charger" spell under the holy tab in your spellbook. Don't get too excited and forget something. Make sure you've completed everything.
If you don't have the spell (it's a similar icon to Summon Warhorse, but red/yellow instead of Blue), than you haven't completed something in the basement. Make sure you actually redeem the soul/talk to ghost horse, etc, etc, etc.
And there you have it. You now have your wonderful, +100% speed, charger mount. Go ride around Ironforge for a while. You have now completed the Paladin's hardest class-specific quest, and have something pretty nice to show for it.
Congratulations on your new mount.