Paladin class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Lealla
Class Leader

Paladin 3.1 Changes

Post#1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:18 pm

From the "unofficial" patch changes compiled by MMO Champion:
Paladin
  • All Paladin auras have had their tooltip changed to note that they work on the entire raid, not just the party.
Holy
Skills
  • Exorcism can now be used on all targets, but is now a guaranteed critical strike vs Undead and Demon type mobs.
  • Judgement of Light now procs off spells as well. (Previously only "attacks" would trigger this)
Talents
  • Purifying Power (Tier 6) now reduces the cooldown of your Exorcism and Holy Wrath spells by 17/33%. (Previously increased the critical strike chance of those spells by 10/20%)
  • Pure of Heart (Tier 5) now reduces Curse, Poison, and Disease effects by 15/30%. (Previously was 25/50% but did not include poisons)
  • Blessed Hands has been moved from Tier 5 to Tier 4 and now reduces the mana cost of Hand of Freedom, Hand of Sacrifice and Hand of Salvation by 15/30% and cooldowns by 10/20%.
  • Improved Concentration Aura's (Tier 4) reduced silence/interrupt effect now works while any aura is active.
Protection
Skills
  • Shield of Righteousness now deals 130% of block value + 520 at the highest rank. It no longer causes a high amount of threat. (Previously increased damage by a set amount)
  • Blessing of Kings is now a baseline ability. Trainable at level 20.
Talents
  • Shield of the Templar (Tier 10) no longer increases the damage of your Holy Shield, Avenger's Shield and Shield of Righteousness spells. Instead it gives your Avenger's Shield a 33/66/100% chance to silence targets hit by it for 3 sec.
  • Judgements of the Just (Tier 10) now reduces the cooldown of your Hammer of Justice by 10 sec, increases the duration of your Seal of Justice effect by 0.5 sec, in addition to its previous effect.
  • Avenger's Shield's (Tier 9) damage has been increased across all ranks.
  • Guarded by the Light (Tier 9) now reduces spell damage taken by 3% and gives a 50% chance to refresh the duration of your Divine Plea when you hit an enemy. (Previously reduced the mana cost of your Holy Shield, Avenger's Shield and Shield of Righteousness spells by 15%.)
  • Holy Shield's (Tier 7) damage slightly increased across all ranks.
  • Ardent Defender (Tier 7) is now a 3 point talent, reducing damage taken by 10/20/30%. (Previously was a 5 point talent)
  • Sacred Duty (Tier 6) increases stamina by 4% now. (Previously was 3%)
  • One-Handed Weapon Specialization is now a 3 point talent, increasing damage done with 1 handers by 4/7/10%. (Previously was a 5 point talent)
  • Blessing of Sanctuary (Tier 5) now only grants 2% of maximum displayed mana when the target blocks, parries, or dodges a melee attack. (Previously granted 10 rage or 20 runic power or 2% max mana)
  • Divine Guardian (Tier 4) now has been changed to redirect damage "(up to a maximum of 150/300% of the Paladin's health)." (Previously had no limit)
  • Improved Devotion Aura (Tier 4) now increases the amount healed on any target affected by any of your Auras by 2%. (Previously only worked with Devotion Aura active)
  • Improved Hammer of Justice (Tier 4) is now a 2 point talent, reducing the cooldown of Hammer of Justice by 10/20 sec. (Previously had a 3rd rank that reduced cooldown by 30 secs)
Retribution
Talents
  • Righteous Vengeance (Tier 10) is now a 3 point talent. When your Judgement and Divine Storm spells deal a critical strike, your target will take 10/20/30% additional damage over 8 sec. (Previously a 5 point talent)
  • Fanaticism (Tier 8 ) is now a 3 point talent and now increases the critical strike chance of all Judgements capable of a critical hit by 6/12/18% and reduces threat caused by all actions by 10/20/30% except when under the effects of Righteous Fury. (Previously a 5 point talent)
  • Improved Retribution Aura has been removed from the game.
  • Improved Retribution Aura's effect has been merged into Sanctified Retribution (Tier 5).
  • Divine Purpose has been moved from Tier 5 to Tier 6.

The Protection tree looks wierd now. Nevertheless, it now appears that Retribution can reach Divine Guardian without too much sacrifice. Here's my new build idea. Thoughts?

Gnomerman

Post#2 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:57 am

is it just me, or should from now on, every patch be called improvements for paladins?

does blizzard literally sit there, and think, hmmm, how can we make paladins better? (now that i think about it they should do that for every class). well, except the mages class. its nearly perfect. it has 3, nearly perfectly laid out, trees, that offer 3 raid ready specs, and 2 pvp ready specs.

but in all reality, lets think of the 3.2 changes we can make to paladins

bubble now lasts for 30 secconds

paladins can only take damage from boss level mobs

change to becon of light, whenever you heal the becon, everyone in range of the becon recieves 20%
of the amount healed.

all paladins granted a new ablitiy, hammer of win. this ability stuns the target, and of the targets allies within 30 yards indefinatly, until the paladin kills them, or decides to let them go.

they are immune to stun, polymorph and fear effects.

command of crusade. when paladins are grouped together, their auras increased based on the number of paladins, 10% more per extra paladin.. (imagine kings with 8 paladins, or BOM, or wisdom).

divine punishment. this ability does damage equal to 2% of the targets life indefinatly. If dispelled, it does damage equal to 75% of the targets maximum health (5 minute cooldown, thats right, you can't be a god all the time)

and im out of creative ideas to make paladins basically the iwin button.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Virek
Demon Hunter

Post#3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 pm

gnomer..... seriously. i thought you were above being a forum troller. Yes, paladins are a strong class. but hardly as perfect as you think.

and lealla ninjad my forums. >.< ive been waiting to get some finalization on some of the prot talents before making a 3.1 thread.
But mmo is bugged atm. primarily saying that Ardent defender requires 5/5 reckoning. which wouldnt be the end of the world to dump AD, but it also says guarded by the light requires AD. which would require you to get reck. so essentially nerf your survivalbility to hell to keep some points in threat gen (holy seals of the pure) or deflection in ret for parry. or sacrifice both and take.....gulp. reckoning. the most usless talent in the tree.
Last edited by Virek on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnomerman

Post#4 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:47 pm

you know i get bored at work..... i thought some of that would be amusing for a pally

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#5 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:29 am

Virek, I intentionally left the Protection build up to you. Enjoy. :-)

Gnomer.... pbbbbt

Virek
Demon Hunter

Post#6 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Virek, I intentionally left the Protection build up to you. Enjoy.

oh i will lealla. i will

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#7 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:38 pm

More Paladin changes from the latest PTR build...

Blizzard wrote:
  • All paladins auras had their range extended from 30 yards to 40 yards.
Holy
  • Sacred Shield now cannot be on more than one target at any one time.
  • Infusion of Light no longer has a chance to reduce the casting time of Holy Light, but increases the the critical chance of your next Holy Light by 10/20% instead.
Protection
  • Hand of Sacrifice now lasts 12 sec or until the caster has transfered 100% of their maximum health.
  • Targets affected by Divine Shield, Hand of Protection or Divine Protection can no longer be affected by any of these spell for 2 minutes. (Down from 3 minutes)
  • Divine Sacrifice *New Talent* (Tier 3) - 30% of all damage taken by party or raid members within 30 yards is redirected to the Paladin (up to a maximum of 150% of the Paladin's health). Instant, 2 min cooldown.

I can't speak to the Holy changes except to say that improving the crit chance of HL seems like more of a synergy benefit than a cast time reduction. The change to Hand of Sacrifice (and the previous change to Divine Guardian) seem to be aimed at keeping the Paladin from buffering too much damage - it's a deliberate nerf to the "oh shit" buttons.

What's really odd is the placement of Divine Sacrifice in addition to Divine Guardian. I kind of wonder if this isn't an incremental thing and Blizz plans to remove DG or turn it into something else, because having two nearly identical talents that close to each other is bound to be confusing. Now, the very last thing Paladins needed was yet another button to press, but I have to wonder if decoupling the effect from DS/DP will have the intended results... either Paladins will macro it to those abilities or they will run a serious risk of splatting themselves accidentally...

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#8 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 pm

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... rsion=9704

New Retribution build from latest 3.1 patch notes.

Doulmagnus

Post#9 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Paladin (3.1 Skills List / 3.1 Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Retribution

Seal of the Martyr now makes all your melee attacks deal [ 48% of min weapon damage ] to [ 48% of max weapon damage ] (up from 22%) additional Holy damage. Unleashing this Seal's energy instantly causes [ 11% of AP + 18% of Spell Power + 26% of min weapon damage ] to [ 11% of AP + 18% of Spell Power + 26% of max weapon damage ] (Down from 16/25/36%) Holy damage at the cost of health equal to 33% of the damage caused.

Seal of Blood now makes all your melee attacks deal [ 48% of min weapon damage ] to [ 48% of max weapon damage ] (up from 22%) additional Holy damage. Unleashing this Seal's energy instantly causes [ 11% of AP + 18% of Spell Power + 26% of min weapon damage ] to [ 11% of AP + 18% of Spell Power + 26% of max weapon damage ] (Down from 16/25/36%) Holy damage at the cost of health equal to 33% of the damage caused.

Crusader's Strike has been reverted back to normal - An instant strike that causes 110% weapon damage.
Protection

Divine Guardian *New Talent* - Tier 4 - Improve the effectiveness of your Divine Sacrifice spell by an additional 5/10% and increases the duration of your Sacred Shield by 50/100% and the amount absorbed by 10/20%.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#10 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:35 pm

They said they are trying to reduce the "spikiness" of Blood/Martyr by increasing the Seal damage and reducing the Judgement damage. This will help Retribution Paladins avoid killing themselves on fights like Thaddius, Malygos, and Loatheb.

Virek
Demon Hunter

Post#11 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:10 am

newest protection build. i had to take pursuit of justice out.....

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... rsion=9733

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#12 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:25 am

Updated Retribution build here.

Imp. Righteous Fury is there for the damage reduction effect, mainly for soloing or PvP. It could be replaced with Eye For An Eye or Vindication in a PvP build.

I'll probably use your build in my dual spec, V.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:32 pm

This post is to confirm that my planned Retribution build is not changing from the above in 3.1 live.

Return to “Paladin”