Raid Healing Builds/Healing Techniques....

Priest class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Elvenbane
Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Priest
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 110
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army
Battle.net region: us.battle.net
Battle.net character realm: Vek'nilash
Battle.net character name: Elvenbane
Battle.net character URL: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... e/advanced

Raid Healing Builds/Healing Techniques....

Post by Elvenbane » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:55 am

...Should I ever go crazy and respec.

As you all know I've played 10-70 as shadow with a brief (2hr) time spent as a smite build.

So I'd like to hear what experienced healing priests have to say about specs, and healing techniques with special regard to the new spells and group healing.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Ahlyzabeth

Post by Ahlyzabeth » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:58 am

Im not 70 yet and i dont have much experiance, but i've found healing almost as fun as dpsing, once i figured out how to dps it was gravey :P AND people are way nicer to you!!
You're the boss, applesauce!

Kalianna

Post by Kalianna » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:01 am

Damn I'm rolling a Priest
Please someone, give me the knowledge to only Blink when I should.

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character level: 70

Post by Ecnailla » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:17 pm

I leveled most of the time with all my points in the holy tree. During 5 mans preBC this was great. The holy tree will allow you to land heals that are HUGE and make your renews more than enough for someone taking some aoe dmg. I could let my tank get to about half health and land one greater heal and put them in the 90-100% range. I had almost 0 overheals this way. I don’t recall every having mana issues aside from a few tough fights or if we got adds or something. I really felt like I had a lot of control over our success in instances. I could take a bad group, that would have wiped us over and over, and just out heal the mistakes to help us move on. I loved it. Most people say shadow priests can heal fine up to about late 40s or early 50s. I am sure this is true, but I really don’t think a shadow priest could have pulled off some of the saves I have done.

Ding… 60. Incoming raids…

ZG was cool. But dang… these two priest just outheal the hell out of me. I figure, gear – whatever. As time passes I try to learn what they are doing. I forget the 2nd priests name, but he wasn’t here for very long after I hit 60. Then it was just cheezy out healing me. We had a couple of other priest/healers that were there, but it was the awesomeness of cheezypoofs that I obviously wanted to mimic. Then one day he said something that really did shock the hell out of me… “You and Elven probably both have more +healing than me…” And so I did. What the mother hell was going on? Was I just that bad? My focus was on HUGE heals – but in a raid situation, when you have multiple people healing and you can’t let a tank get to 50% health because someone is going to heal them first. You would just be sitting there all day waiting for someone’s health to drop low enough and give you a chance to use one of your sexy greater heals.

Cheezy focused on MANA. He went after int. gear and thus could spam flash heals on anyone that needed any heals. No one’s health dropped very low before he would have them full again. So I stared to do the same and found it was quite hard to beat him the heals – not that I was trying, but I just kept landing a heal right after his. This was just skill, he was able to get there first and I had to work long and hard to “anticipate” dmg and get the heals where they needed to be as fast as possible. I started to go OOM on trash. I just couldn’t hang with his mana pool. So I respected disc with a focus on mana and life got much better.

Due to Cheezy’s mechanical skill I still couldn’t outheal him, but that’s ok – I really don’t want to be number one- I just wanted to use him as a goal to better myself. He is a better healer and I knew that, but just watching him had helped me improve a great deal.

We started 40 mans and I lost interest. Healing got boaring to me and I had no desire to raid. I didn’t have the same feeling that I could make or break a raid – I was just a little added healing. If we wiped, we wiped – I couldn’t stop it no matter what I tried. No more heroics. I had stopped improving- I couldn’t figure out what to focus on or how to get any better, so I just kind of – became board. Quit raiding.

I havn’t really grouped much at all now that I am 70. Mana is more of an issue now than I remembered from preBC. Mobs hit harder. I used Circle of healing for a while, but it’s mana usage was right up there with oomnova. I haven’t used binding heal much. Prayer of mending is nice, but it is easy to lose track of. (It rocks in arenas)

This is about all I know about healing Kara- Heal Gnos and Kat as usual – throw a renew on each and flash heal them unless they dip really low and Gheal them. Shield Colder until he dies and throw Mera a heal when she needs it. Kara is different than preBC raids- if it doesn’t go clean and a couple of people get one or two shotted, you reset or wipe. Healing is basic, but there is very little room for error and you have to be ready for moves that take your tanks HP down fast.

Yea, so – in short- holy for 5 mans, Disc for raids. Cheezy is a machine and healing can get boring. No to COH until maybe after the patch – Yes to prayer of mending and shadow fiend (which you already know). MP5 and Int and +healing- possibly in that order. Tailoring can apparently get you better gear than T4 so don’t expect huge upgrades in Kara – but that’s hearsay, not personal knowledge.

Elvenbane
Leader
Battle.net character URL: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... e/advanced

Post by Elvenbane » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Eh from what I've seen Flash Heal spamming doesn't work very well these days. For the simple reason that if you're just spamming Flash Heal you're effectively trying to heal like a Paladin, and they're far more mana effecient at it.
Elvenbane#1520

Merawynn

Post by Merawynn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:15 pm

Has anyone besides Cheezy looked at healing meter in Kara? He is not top, and is usually 2 or 3, depending on who else we have in there.

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character level: 70

Post by Ecnailla » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Merawynn wrote:Has anyone besides Cheezy looked at healing meter in Kara? He is not top, and is usually 2 or 3, depending on who else we have in there.
Oh yes, I have. IMO The priest class is broke for healing right now. Instead of buffing us, they are nerfing pallys.

I wonder how healing assigments would work... If holy spec, I think a priest could use Gheal for more mana effic. if they could control their assigned targets health. Someone could use G.heal with out worrying about it going to waste by having a flash heal and a holy light hit before the G.heal. Just a thought.

In Yawa it alwasy seems like we are all just supposed to heal everyone. Maybe a little organization is needed.

Cuchulainn

Post by Cuchulainn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:58 pm

Ecnailla wrote:IMO The priest class is broke for healing right now. Instead of buffing us, they are nerfing pallys.
Priests heal just fine. The key is that optimal level 70/post-2.0 healing is very different from what it was at level 60/pre-2.0. If you are still healing the way you were pre-expansion, yes, you are broken (you, not your class).

Renew+PoM+downranked GHeal ftw. Flash Heal only in very rare emergencies.

And invest heavily in MP5 gear and enchants.

Elvenbane
Leader

Post by Elvenbane » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:22 pm

Merawynn wrote:Has anyone besides Cheezy looked at healing meter in Kara? He is not top, and is usually 2 or 3, depending on who else we have in there.
Aye I checked after last run and saw the 80% Flash Heal with little use of the new healing spells. I then compared it with the pallies healing and concluded that Flash of Light packs more bang for the buck in comparison.
Also, my buddy Rizaz has sent me some of his healing meters in the past from Kara and he dominates the shit out of everyone. Granted he's got about +1500healing but I think part of it is due to the fact that he was shadow pre-bc and is therefore not conditioned to flash heal spam and utilizes the new spells more often. I know personally when I'm forced to heal I tend to make heavy use of Prayer of Mending, Renew and Gheal.
Elvenbane#1520

Hisa

Post by Hisa » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:21 pm

Not sure if this is useful at all cuz its a bit of a late reply only cuz i joined a month ago. But what i have found is that heal rank 4 is by far the best heal pre-bc and post bc. I am currently standing at +1700 healing and 193 mp/5 and i can last endurance fights. Heal rank 4 hits around 1900 and crits for about 3k. Whereas flash heal is only ~2200 and critting for 3.5k, which isn't very efficient in terms of mana management.
Only when needed will i pull out flash and gheal. I dont like using renew because it costs quite a bit of mana.

Anyways those are my 2 cents hopefully it helps? lol

P.S. circle jerk of healing is by far the most OP healing spell in the game!

Isuka

Post by Isuka » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:09 am

Flash heal spam never really worked unless you're

1. in a critical situation
2. trying to pad healing meter b/c your raid group is too stupid to realize that's pointless

All in all, I believe the guy's above me has it covered. But I do want to point out that... yes Flash heal isnt useful, nor mana efficient... but it does have it's place in raid.

DO NOT confine your own skill use b/c another class can do a better job. Currently, if you're going to compare your utility as a priest with other healing classes, you might as well bang your head against the wall. Since the majority of our healers are priest, some flash heal spam might be necessary to make up for the lack of diversity.

Just wanted to point that out.

Isuka

Nagisa

Post by Nagisa » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:06 am

WTB Resto Druid.

Context

Post by Context » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:10 pm

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Cyrithea

lawls.
i made her to heal DM.
obviously...she needs work...

>.>
...have trigger, will travel...

Cheezypoofs

Post by Cheezypoofs » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:46 pm

FOR THE RECORD

The raid that Elven, Cuch, and Mera were referring to was a critical type healing situation. No, Flash Heal is not mana efficient nor will it put out HPS like some of the other spells. It never has. But when you are pulling healing aggro from the tank with nothing more than a renew, you have to find a way to keep the tank alive while it attains aggro.

For the first couple runs in Kara, I had to back off my healing altogether to let the pallies pull the healing aggro, because they could at least absorb one hit, where I was getting one shotted.

Ech is right about how I heal. I use speed and anticipation to heal. It doesn't always benefit everyone, given so many different types of raid compositions. It should be noted that I have never at any time been Holy. 60-70 up until about a month ago, I have always been full smite spec dps. I do currently have more points in holy than before.

As for what heal spells are the best ones to cast. It is very simple for me. I use the ones that I can adapt to the given situation and raid dynamics. I'm just glad Gnos finally stopped trying to ninja my bubbles.
Stop looking, I found it.

Merawynn

Post by Merawynn » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:30 pm

Cheezy and I have had this talk more than once since we first started running Kara, when I was trying to figure out what the crap I was doing. I had NO healing exp before Kara, since I was shadow until 60 (in the outlands) then was very heavy disc. But he was right about healing aggro....and to an extent still is. Throwing gheals early in a fight is death for some ppl.