Election Day In Zimbabwe

Talk about anything!

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Ahlyzabeth

Election Day In Zimbabwe

Post by Ahlyzabeth » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:45 am

I dont know how many of you like to follow world news.

Zimbabwe is one of those places where ppl get kicked out for being news reporters. And they just had elections. I wont go into the details, its a longosh story, but basically there has been a dictatorship there since Zim won its independence over 20 years and this is an email from my daddy about whats going on with the elections they are having this year. And I wanted to share because its good to know whats going on in the world around you.

Dear Kids,

How are things? Big changes around here. We had the election and then……….sit on your hands for 5 days waiting for the results. The thing is that this election was different. SADC observers and MDC protocols made the vote counting transparent and relatively free from fraud. The voter rolls were highly rigged with lots of dead people and non-existent addresses found on the one constituency that ZanuPF shared with MDC. So….MDC and everyone else could see the results of each of the 9000 polling stations around the country. The observers and interested by-standers photographed the posted results with their cell phones and voila! The results were known.

So what was the waiting all about?

MDC was of course waiting for the Election Commission to announce the results. The Election Commission isn’t going to do that because Bob and his gang 1) didn’t want to lose and 2) didn’t want a run-off which they were sure to lose and 3) the head of the Air Force and Defense Force swore to not accept an MDC victory.

So that’s why we’re waiting. We’re calming the security/military guys and massaging Bob and his chiefs to accept the new reality. I suspect we will find out that Mozambique, Botswana, Zambia and South Africa have all threatened to intervene if the army pulls a coup.

Pretty exciting, huh?

Big Hugs,

Love,

DAD
You're the boss, applesauce!

Stask

Post by Stask » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:47 pm

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on Zimbabwe and Robert Mugabe for the past week or so. I don't know much about it, the Middle East holds far more of my interest when it comes to world news, but Mugabe is just another 2-bit dictator trying to keep his hold on power. With luck, he'll be overthrown and democracy will take root there.
"I am unworthy of any respect. True story." -Brulan

Recorded for posterity. He had no idea how right he was.

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:21 pm

yeah, I too occasionally keep tabs on Mugabe, though I'm not entirely sure why (maybe him being in Foreign Policy magazine and his failure to improve the economy after forcibly confiscating white-owned farms?).

current news according to NYT is that Mugabe lost parliament, but there's no word yet on whether Mugabe will have a 2nd round of voting (automatic runoff if winner fails to get majority or 50%+ of the vote) or gracefully resign. it would be a turnaround if mugabe loses, but the economic and political situation is such that I'm skeptical Zimbabwe will improve immediately =\

(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Liz, or anyone else who's better informed)

Ahlyzabeth

Post by Ahlyzabeth » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:31 pm

oh there is no way in hell it can turn around immediately, but its a start and its hope and that is what Zim needs more than anything.

zephar

Post by zephar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:08 pm

I crit perception so hard that I could see why people love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

" I saw a baby [ panda ] sneeze in a video and it telepathicly gave me a bonar. Cosmic Powers "

Ahlyzabeth

Post by Ahlyzabeth » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Here's an update:
Speaking of no success, it is two weeks after the election and the results have not been officially announced. The government thugs have been busy, however, going out to rural areas and beating up whole villages of people who voted against them. "How do they know who voted against them if the results haven't been released?" Of course, everyone knows the results. The government lost. This is just giving them time to intimidate the opposition, intimidate the electorate and rig the whole thing in the manner they have done in the past. The wolves have thrown off their puppy dog skins and have reemerged to devour the flock.
The Zimbabwean, a newspaper printed in UK and SA, had a headline this week with the photos of three high-ranking generals that said "Military Coup" which is pretty much accurate. The opposition party will not participate in a run-off in this environment. It's a stand off.
More news later after the SADC meeting that happens today in Lusaka, Zambia....Mugabe isn't going, however. He doesn't what to sit at the same table as Morgan Tsvangerai and he doesn't want to hear the frank assessments of his neighbors on his bungled and corrupt election process.

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:16 pm

Sad update: The election body after days of deliberation announced that the MDC opposition did not win enough of the vote to avoid a runoff, triggering suspicion because of the long delay in announcing the voting results. The runoff election was set to be on June 27th, 2008.

Although Mugabe briefly considered stepping down, he decided to stay in the race. There have been allegations of intimidation and worse, orchestrated violence against opposition. Mugabe also has seized relief intended for impoverished areas while allegedly diverting it to his supporters.

In today's New York Times newspaper, the MDC leader Morgan Tsvangirai pulled out of the race, referring to the cost his supporters have paid for their (continuing) opposition to Mugabe and his skepticism of a fair election that he could win.

for more information:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/world ... we.html?hp

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/world ... bwe&st=nyt

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/world ... bwe&st=nyt

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:58 pm

another sad update: Mugabe and the opposition tentatively reached an agreement on power-sharing ministries. but the agreement has been thrown into doubt based on Mugabe taking control of most of the vital ministries (as well as the police AND army). it's suggested that much of this turnaround is based on fears that Mugabe ceded too much power to opposition and that the military/police force fears vengeance after cracking down on opposition before the election runoff.

the agreement is also shaky because South African Presiden Mbeki (sp?) was forced to resign, so while he is still a mediator, he does not have the status of a president or prime minister....plus, Mugabe apparently prevented the opposition leader from leaving the country to attend talks.

in chronological order:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/19/world ... babwe.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/world ... babwe.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/15/world ... babwe.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/21/world ... babwe.html

adenrei

Post by adenrei » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:52 am

Is zimbabwe in cananda?

Stask

Post by Stask » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:28 pm

adenrei wrote:Is zimbabwe in cananda?
No, it's in Africaca. :-P

Brulan

Post by Brulan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:38 pm

QQ for zimbabwe. Lets worry about ourselves first k thanks!
No.

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:08 pm

meh, I understand that sentiment Bru, but it behooves us as Americans not to be so provincial....at least for me, one benefit of keeping tabs on other places is to realize how protected Americans are by constitutional rights than in other countries (ie Russia with Putin, Venezuela with Chavez).

Overan

Post by Overan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:39 am

Funny thing is, Pale, that most Americans simply don't know as well as you, Ahlyz, myself or other people with world-wide ties, just how good we have it. We have become a slothful nation of lazy haves and have-mores. The haves want to take from the have-mores because they don't want to earn their way to the top like a handful of the have-mores did. Unfortunately, the NYT is probably one of the least honest or unbiased filth-rags that you could possibly pick up, and Reuters is a worthless puddle of ineptitude anymore.

But, I must extol Bru's sentiment. One of the foremost reasons we have succeeded so well is we focus on our problems first. One of the foremost reasons for our previous and current failed foreign policies have been our focus on other nations - and our well-intentioned desire to intervene.
MORE DOTS!

Lealla
Class Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Druid
WoW character gender: Female
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army

Post by Lealla » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:18 am

That and the fact that the recent world economic crisis is largely our fault.

I love America and what it stands for. The trouble is that we often have difficulty making up our collective minds about what exactly we stand for. The basic idea, however, is that anyone can be as prosperous as we are if they simply put in the effort.

For having the audacity to suggest that other countries would be a lot better off if they stop mindlessly slaughtering each other and start cooperating, we are reviled and hated by half the world. So be it.

Now, do we have any business going to those countries and forcing them to play nice? That does seem to be the big question these days. A part of me thinks that if they want to kill each other so badly, we should just let them. However, if they expect to become a member of the world political and economic community, and want to have open trade, economic assistance, military and food aid, etc., they have to accept a certain amount of international oversight.

Iraq was a mistake. Not so much because Saddam Hussein wasn't a complete jerk and didn't need to be removed from power by any means necessary - he was and did. Because (a) we smokescreened the war behind fake 9/11 and WMD propaganda, and (b) completely and utterly failed to recognize that long term occupation/pacification of a Muslim country has never been successful in all of history.

These next few years will undoubtedly see our international influence lessen while we clean up our own house. This is as it should be, in my opinion. But there are still people out there who want to destroy America, and we have to defend our interests or risk losing them.

Edit: A last comment...

The scariest thing in the world right now, in my opinion, is that there are people who will kill me without the slightest remorse because I don't pray the way they think I should. Ditto if my skin is the wrong color or I have the wrong sexual preference. Humanity MUST eradicate this insanity if it is to make any lasting progress.

Stask

Post by Stask » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 am

Lealla wrote:Edit: A last comment...

The scariest thing in the world right now, in my opinion, is that there are people who will kill me without the slightest remorse because I don't pray the way they think I should. Ditto if my skin is the wrong color or I have the wrong sexual preference. Humanity MUST eradicate this insanity if it is to make any lasting progress.
QFT.