Mut Spec

Rogue class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Gig

Mut Spec

Post#1 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:32 am

ok guys. EB and I have been working on a new spec for me. i've tried this in the past and it was a fun spec to play. total control of the target and really involoved. the bad side is Mut did not produce the DPS as combat dagger raid spec (15/41/5). i heard the patch buff'd up the DPS output of Mut spec....of course, i'm the only dagger rogue left on this server and i haven't heard of anyone raiding in a mut spec. just wanted to know if you guys heard of anything. thanks.

Gig

Post#2 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:57 am

i found this on the rogue forums.

So, with the advent of 2.4 and the change to Imp Backstab (changed to Puncturing Wounds and now adds +15% crit chance to mute as well as 30% chance to crit with backstab) mutilate is now a viable alternative to combat swords for end game raiding. This does not by any means mean it will be out DPSing combat swords. What it means is that the difference between combat swords and Mutilate should be fairly small and can be overcome with personal skill/practice.

Now, mutilate is a different type of raiding from combat swords. A rogue can be "asleep at the wheel" and still maintain a good cycle as combat swords. This is not the case with a mutilate build. While specced mutilate a rogue will have to be on his game the entire time watching DP/Rupture/SnD counters, combo points, managing energy pools, and above all staying behind the target 100% of the time (this is easier said than done, for example... Hyjal trash on Rage). With that in mind, let's begin to lay out how to raid as a mutilate rogue.

First and foremost is the spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0efoeroizVoGcV0bV

Now, there are a few things in this spec that could/will be changed.

First is the 5 poison talent points. These will be alternated depending on what speed your offhand dagger is. Slower daggers benefit more from Imp Poisons than fast daggers, which will benefit more from more points in Vile Poisons.

The math behind this is as follows: (Originally posted by Left on the Elitist Jerks forums, Mutilate Raid Discussion)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q u o t e:
Assumptions

* 5.5% miss rate (running at ~275 hit rating)
* 6.0% dodge rate (running at ~10 expertise rating)
* SnD up at all times
* No other passive or active haste effects running
* On average, Mutilate attacks are spaced ~6.5 seconds apart

Method
Ran the simulator linked above for 1 test each at 100 days continuous DPS time, got the reported average number of stacks and damage per second, and posted those values here.

Results
Listing deadly poison simulated average stacks and DPS

1.8 speed weapon

* 5/5 Vile, 0/5 Improved -> 3.86 stacks, 69.47 DPS
* 4/5 Vile, 1/5 Improved -> 4.03 stacks, 70.18 DPS
* 3/5 Vile, 2/5 Improved -> 4.19 stacks, 70.39 DPS
* 2/5 Vile, 3/5 Improved -> 4.32 stacks, 69.99 DPS
* 1/5 Vile, 4/5 Improved -> 4.44 stacks, 69.22 DPS
* 0/5 Vile, 5/5 Improved -> 4.53 stacks, 67.96 DPS

1.5 speed weapon

* 5/5 Vile, 0/5 Improved -> 4.20 stacks, 75.63 DPS
* 4/5 Vile, 1/5 Improved -> 4.34 stacks, 75.54 DPS
* 3/5 Vile, 2/5 Improved -> 4.47 stacks, 75.10 DPS
* 2/5 Vile, 3/5 Improved -> 4.57 stacks, 74.03 DPS
* 1/5 Vile, 4/5 Improved -> 4.65 stacks, 72.60 DPS
* 0/5 Vile, 5/5 Improved -> 4.72 stacks, 70.80 DPS

1.4 speed weapon

* 5/5 Vile, 0/5 Improved -> 4.31 stacks, 77.61 DPS
* 4/5 Vile, 1/5 Improved -> 4.44 stacks, 77.27 DPS
* 3/5 Vile, 2/5 Improved -> 4.55 stacks, 76.40 DPS
* 2/5 Vile, 3/5 Improved -> 4.64 stacks, 75.20 DPS
* 1/5 Vile, 4/5 Improved -> 4.71 stacks, 73.54 DPS
* 0/5 Vile, 5/5 Improved -> 4.78 stacks, 71.64 DPS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, the faster the dagger the more it benefits from Vile Poisons. Keep in mind your offhand dagger speed while speccing.

The second thing that could alternate from the above spec is the top tier of the combat tree. I personally prefer Imp Gouge and Imp SS for the rare situations where they become useful. For example, killing your Inner Demons on the Leo fight in SSC. The top tier of the combat tree is however, not that important. Distribute the points as you see fit.

Next comes to the combat rotations for a mutilate raider. The mutilate combat rotation is not the rigid 3s/5r of a combat swords spec but rather rather is a system with wiggle room and alot of "If A is true then B, if A is false then C". What you are attempting to do is keep Slice and Dice and Rupture up as close to 100% of the time while chaining finishers to keep your Find Weakness buff up as well for all of your yellow damage. What you will attempt to do is a:

4-5cp Snd --> 4-5 cp Rupture --> 4-5cp Evis (if both SnD and Rupture are up and have time, if not pool energy and then renew them)

Now, do not be confused by the "4-5cp" part of that combat rotation. It's really very simple. Often Ruthlessness will proc and then you will get a mute crit resulting in 4cp from your Seal Fate proc. It is not worth the energy you would spend to mute, shiv, or SS to gain that 5th combo point. What you do instead is use your finisher with 4cp instead of 5. An easy way to think about it is this.

If 0cp --> Mutex2
If 1cp --> Mute
If 2cp --> Mute
If 3cp --> Mute
If 4cp --> Finisher
If 5cp --> Finisher

Also, when you are about to do your SnD finisher, wait. If you are low on energy just before the SnD finisher is the time to wait and allow your energy to pool so that once you hit SnD you have enough energy to burst during the Find Weakness buff (IE, you hit SnD, get a relentless proc, mute twice, finisher and and continue the chain). This can be done to some degree before the rupture finisher as well however, rupture must be cast before the Find Weakness buff fades as to get the benefit of it. Keep in mind, Find Weakness enhances all yellow damage by 10%. This includes the entire duration of a Rupture cast while Find Weakness is up even if Find Weakness fades while the Rupture is ticking.

Now that we've covered finishers we can now explain why Mute is so strong. Mutilate chains finishers, easily. Often what you will end up doing will be Finisher --> Ruthlessness proc ---> Mute --> Finisher --> Ruthlessness proc --> Mute ---> Finisher ect. What does this mean? Massive energy returns from Relentless strikes. 4cp finishers have an 80% chance to return 25 energy, 5cp finishers 100% chance. With long finisher chains (which are common) you will be getting energy return after energy return from Finisher chaining. Relentless Strikes is your new Combat Potency. This one talent keeps Mute from being overly energy starved and allows mutilate to put out simply disgusting burst damage.

Geming for mutilate is different from combat as well. Due to combat potency not being in the spec +hit loses some of it's value in a mutilate build. We now get our energy returns from Relentless Strikes, which is assisted by mutilate criting. Hence +agil and +crit now become much more valuable. Hence, as a mutilate spec rogue, in your red sockets you would be socketing +8 agil (and upgraded versions as they become available), in your yellow sockets +4hit +4agil and in your blues +4agil +6 stam (although only 2 of these to activate your meta). The amount of +hit mutilate builds need will be obtained easily simply by taking gear upgrades as almost all rogue gear has more than substantial +hit on it.

Weapon Expertise is another stat that gains a small bit of value for a mutilate build. Without Surprise Attacks our finishers can now be dodged. Hence, capping weapon expertise becomes much more valuable. The Expertise cap for a mutilate build is 103. Quick Recovery helps to make up for dodged finishers (returning 80% of the energy speant) but the 20% energy that is lost from a dodged finisher still hurts, so weapon expertise maintains it's spot as the most valuable stat to rogues.

Enchants are largely the same for a mutilate build with one exception. You do not need to get Cat's Swiftness to boots (thank god). With Fleet Footed you are officially faster than anyone with a minor runspeed chant (Minor run speed is 8%, Fleet Footed 15%) and the effects do not stack. Instead get Enchant Boots - Greater Agility (+12 Agil) which is much less costly than Cat's Swiftness.

Now then, the one thing that people seem to be universally confused about is dagger speed. Drill this into your head:

Given equal stats and DPS the slower dagger is better. However, if a faster dagger has higher DPS and more desireable stats, use it. The difference in mutilate damage from 1.8 to 1.5 speed daggers is negligible and not worth thinking about.

For example. The Tracker's Blade is better than the Heartrazor for an offhand weapon due to it's DPS and stats being superior. Slower daggers have harder hitting mutes and better offhand enchant proc rates where as faster daggers have better chance to proc poisons (and hence allow you to put more points into Vile Poisons, increasing the dps from your poisons).

As far as what poisons to use, it stays the same. Instant Poison Mainhand and Deadly Poison Offhand. If a shaman is present, take the instant poison off your MH to recieve Windfury (which is still better than GoA for mute rogues).

I hope this helps anyone thinking about this spec out and if I missed anything feel free to ask.

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#3 » Sun May 04, 2008 2:10 am

Gigaflo wrote:Now that we've covered finishers we can now explain why Mute is so strong. Mutilate chains finishers, easily. Often what you will end up doing will be Finisher --> Ruthlessness proc ---> Mute --> Finisher --> Ruthlessness proc --> Mute ---> Finisher ect. What does this mean? Massive energy returns from Relentless strikes. 4cp finishers have an 80% chance to return 25 energy, 5cp finishers 100% chance. With long finisher chains (which are common) you will be getting energy return after energy return from Finisher chaining. Relentless Strikes is your new Combat Potency. This one talent keeps Mute from being overly energy starved and allows mutilate to put out simply disgusting burst damage.

So sexy
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Ecnailla

Post#4 » Sun May 04, 2008 2:00 pm

I have always questioned a players skill when they say Combat>mute for lvling.... I could just kill mobs faster and take almost NO dmg as mute.

Not to mention its a hell of a lot more fun.

I am currently lolstep w/ nerf squares for pvp, but if i decide to pve more I will probably go mutil again.

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#5 » Sun May 04, 2008 5:07 pm

Blade Flurry
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Ecnailla

Post#6 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:22 pm

Yea, so? and AR - I can still wipe mobs faster.

zephar

Post#7 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm going to keep watching your icon till the boobs pop out.
I crit perception so hard that I could see why people love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

" I saw a baby [ panda ] sneeze in a video and it telepathicly gave me a bonar. Cosmic Powers "

Gig

Post#8 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:05 am

well, i was pushing 990 dps on MAG today. i couldn't figure out a rotation until 1/2 through my fight. i was able to reach 900-1K on MAG with combat daggers. i bet it will be the same or even higher with MUT. in anycase, MUT is very involved since i had to pay attention to Find Weakness, my engery bar, my SnD, and Rupture WHILE not getting killed by mag.

Return to “Rogue”