70+ Leveling PVE Dagger spec?

Rogue class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Stask

70+ Leveling PVE Dagger spec?

Post#1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Ok, it is looking increasingly likely that since I got the Shard of Azzinoth I'm going to be going daggers for the xpac. I need some advice on how I should spec, whether combat or Mut (and I'm told the Shard isn't ideal for Mut spec), what sort of rotation I should use and links to any other useful advice.

Keep in mind that I'm not planning to do any PvP in the near future, so don't worry about posting any PvP info.

Thanks, guys.
"I am unworthy of any respect. True story." -Brulan

Recorded for posterity. He had no idea how right he was.

Ecnailla

Post#2 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Mute is more fun imo. Dagger should be fine either way - yea, you won't max out your raid dps with it, but its still a very high end dagger and I don't think you will find it lacking regardless of the dagger spec you go with. Mutliate is not a 1 button faceroll like combat can be. You want to get slow daggers if possible, not that the speed matters, but the slow daggers usually have a higher top end number, which is preferable. I'll post a spec tonight for leveling if i remeber unless someone else gets to it between now and then.

Gig

Post#3 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:31 pm

HERE is the lvl 70 combat dagger spec i would go with. similar to combat swords and the rotation should stay the same. BS instead of SS, keep SnD anbd Rup up at all times (for raiding). the only thing i don't like about combat daggers is your positioning. take in account that you're going to be leveling and you're going to have to get behind your target a lot.

Mut is my favorite spec since you have a lot of control of your taget for soloing and it keeps you on your toes while raiding. HERE is my spec.

with weapons, you would use the same rule as combat swords. slow MH, Fast OH. having a 1.4-1.5 OH is good for combat potency.

as for gear stats:
Combat: Daggers: Agi>Hit>Crit>AP
Swords: Agi>Hit>AP>Crit
Mut: Agi>Crit>AP>Hit

(Combat) since most of your DPS is coming from your OH (white damage), you'd want a fast OH for CPombat Pot to proc your MH and a good amount of hit. also, BS uses more energy as SS. just something to keep inmind.

Merawynn

Post#4 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:39 pm

And you can now use Mut from the front of your target! Best change EVER!

Gig

Post#5 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:41 pm

i still enjoy doing it from the back. hee hee.....

Gnomerman

Post#6 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:03 pm

im a fan of doing it from the front and the back.. a little mid combat switch is always good :)

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Ecnailla

Post#7 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:03 pm

Yea, i lock and get behind out of habit still.

Stask

Post#8 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:22 pm

One reason why I like combat swords so much better than daggers is precisely because I don't have to worry about positioning. I lost count of the times I tried to Backstab a boss but it wouldn't go off because the boss had shifted and I was no longer in position. And dealing with trash mobs, when they do nothing but shift around or are surrounded by so many glowing debuffs that I can't even tell what direction theyre facing? Fuggedaboudit.

But, if my weapon upgrades are daggers, then dagger spec I shall be. If I don't have to worry about positioning as Mut, then all the better. As Combat daggers, I was never a big fan of gouge; Gouging a mob and then running behind it to BS it always struck me as really tedious. But the times, they are a-changin' so QQ'ing about it isn't worthwhile.

Anyway, gotta run atm, but I'll re-read these comments in more detail later. Thanks, peeps, and keep the advice coming.

Ecnailla

Post#9 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:19 pm

Taralash

Post#10 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:36 pm

Shard is gonna be replaced fast, just pick and choose with the weapon selection WOTLK hands out.

Gnomerman

Post#11 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:15 pm

yeah.. mele weapons are getting replaced early due to the high dmg on lvl 74ish blues

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Shonmitsu

Re: 70+ Leveling PVE Dagger spec?

Post#12 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:16 pm

Depending on how you're going to be leveling your rogue your spec for mutilate can be vastly different.

If you are soloing, i suggest using a muti spec starting out much like this spec. (no points in Cut to the Chase due to the fact that, nobody uses slice and dice on a mob that will die in 10 seconds...)

If you are running instances heavily to level, go with Gig's spec.

usually here i'd ask you to link what daggers you would be using, keeping in mind that shard will probably have your best top end damage and will be your main hand, but considering the circumstances, you'll replace your off hand right away. However, keep in mind while leveling that you'll have the opportunity to switch out a lot of weapons, and that mongoose will still currently be your best bet for a weapon enchant. Given the expensive mats list for this enchant, i'd say you may want to keep a weapon with slightly less top end/dps with the enchant, than to pick up a new one without, to enchant.

any questions/comments/critiques please post to discuss

Stask

Post#13 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Ok, quick post because the srevers might be up in a few minutes (maybe).

MH: Shard of Azzinoth
OH: Swift Blade of uncertainty (not purchased yet, but likely to be obtained if I get no better OH daggers between now and Thursday)
(Is this a viable alternate OH for Mut spec?: The Mutilator Also not purchased yet)

I'll very likely put Mongoose on both daggers.

I don't expect to be running instances right away as questing seems to yield more XP than instances at least as far as I can tell. Given all that, which spec is more recommended: Combat Daggers or Mut?

Shonmitsu

Post#14 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:37 pm

the mutilator is the off hand for mutilation spec, Mutilate spec is recommended for either instances or soloing, if you're going to stay daggers, it is currently, or was on beta, the rogue's highest dps tree

Stask

Post#15 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:41 pm

Shonmitsu wrote:the mutilator is the off hand for mutilation spec, Mutilate spec is recommended for either instances or soloing, if you're going to stay daggers, it is currently, or was on beta, the rogue's highest dps tree

But don't the speed on both the MH and OH need to be the same for Mut spec? If that's so, then won't the 1.9 speed on the Shard and the 1.8 speed on the Mutilator pose a problem? The entire reason im looking at combat spec instead of Mut is because Gig told me that the Shard wasn't ideal for Mut because of it's 1.9 speed.

I'm confused and my brain hurts... :-(

Return to “Rogue”