HAT Spec

Rogue class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Stask

Post#16 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Elvenbane wrote:I'm sorry Stask, maybe I'm reading the tone of your replies in completely the wrong way but the words that keep going through my head when I read them are:

"I'm not going to change anything till someone does all the work for me and tells me exactly what to spec and how to play it."

Don't get me wrong, I (and I'm sure others) have no problem giving you a hand improving. But at the same time we don't want to do all the footwork for you.

No one's asking you to do all the footwork for me. I've been saying over and over again that I'm doing the research for HAT spec. I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up in the meantime. It's just a natural conservative impulse of mine not to do anything on a matter of this import until I can figure out what I need to do and how. I haven't been asking you guys to do all the work for me; I've just been asking for clarification about some things because they didn't make sense or confused me (the variants among Vek rogues for HAT spec when most Mut rogues on Vek had no variances for their spec being one example).

It's been my experience that when I'm confronted by a problem that I don't immediately know how to solve, I have to stop and think and plan my solution ahead of time because every time I try to solve the problem without thinking it through ALWAYS makes the problem worse. It's the same thing here.

EDIT: I found this EJ post on HAT specs last night. I'm gonna finish reading through it and it should give me enough info to respec tonight. Stay tuned.
"I am unworthy of any respect. True story." -Brulan

Recorded for posterity. He had no idea how right he was.

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

Post#17 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:55 pm

Stask wrote:But for me, spending gold on respecs where I don't know beforehand where and how to spend the talent points just strikes me as inherently wasteful.

If you learn something, it's not wasteful. Spending money on the respecs is almost the only way for you to figure out what works and what doesn't for you. To get that money back, test your new spec on dailies.

Stask

Post#18 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Kendalh wrote:
Stask wrote:But for me, spending gold on respecs where I don't know beforehand where and how to spend the talent points just strikes me as inherently wasteful.

If you learn something, it's not wasteful. Spending money on the respecs is almost the only way for you to figure out what works and what doesn't for you. To get that money back, test your new spec on dailies.

Duly noted.

I must have found at least 5 HaT variant specs by now, including at least one variant that has Master of Deception. MoD in a pve build? That doesn't strike me as raid viable....

Ecnailla

Post#19 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Congratz! There is apparently a lot of flexibility in the HAT spec making it 100x less dull than a a tree that forces you to place each point in a specific spot. Tweek it to your play style - if you don't ever pvp - dont' take certain talents, if you have issues staying alive, drop a few of the spare points in cheat death... I know you are reading up on stuff, but just look at the spells, which ones make sense to you? FOR you? Try them first - try them all - if someone is using something like MoD - find out if there is a PVE aspect you didn't think of, if not - it might just be a pvp choice while not raiding. I can't tell you how many times I skipped over a talent over and over just to have someone say - yea, but you could use it like this - and BAM whole new use for a talent.

There are three places to be on this:
A. Won't look at anyone's specs - just going to do all experiments and test on your own.
B. Looks at other specs and tests them out working out kinks and fitting it to your own style.
C. Just copies a cookie cutter spec without questioning it. If it worked for so and so, it should work for me.

You tend to be very heavy on C. - I would suggest moving closer to B.

Stask

Post#20 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Yeah, I've already respecced twice working on the HaT spec. The experiment continues. Stay tuned.

Tweaked

Post#21 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:15 pm

nwanda is the hat spec rogue in enigma. Puts out alot more dps than Kitsunari's dps is quite low in comparison....

Stask

Post#22 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:59 am

Nwanda out-dps'es Kitsunari? Damn, I gotta have a talk with that guy...

I'm already in the process of copying Nwanda's spec. I'm gonna contact him in game and have a chat with him.

Return to “Rogue”