Jumping on the bandwagon...

Warlock class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Brand

Jumping on the bandwagon...

Post by Brand » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:01 pm

The "check out my new spec, lol" bandwagon, that is.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000

With all the recent changes to the DoT coeffecients, how could I NOT want to try out the new affliction? After some theorycraft, it looks like my corruption will be doing double damage after this patch (average 400 a tick). Melting faces? Bah. I'll be melting countries. And Unstable Affliction is just plain sexy. It rocks for PvE, since it's another corruption-style dot, and will piss off quite a few dispellers in PvP. Dark Pact now scales with spell damage, making any pet a valuable mana battery. I'm still undecided on Shadow Embrace, I've yet to hear a solid explanation on it, and am a bit hesitant to dump points into it until I fully understand it.

The only changes I'm considering is between Malediction and Improved Imp. I think eventually I'll go to Malediction unless I am absolutely required to have my imp out for the improved stamina buff.

Demonology looks awesome, but is too dependant on what demon you have out, so I don't know how it would work in raids. Destruction looks like fun, but I'll wait until I get incenerate first before trying it.

What spec are you guys going for?

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:54 pm

I'm curious as to why you put points in howl of terror and 1 in curse of exhaustion; *if* i was going for 41 pt aff spec I'd put the 3 points in Malediction instead (exhaustion seems pretty weak outside of pvp since you can just use curse of recklessness to prevent people from fleeing).

I'm still trying to figure out my build but I'm leaning towards either a

heavy destro build
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0510031200

modified DS/Ruin build (similar to what i currently have)

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0010000000

or Aff build
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000

Brand

Post by Brand » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Main reason for CoEx and improved howl of terror is for getting people the fuck off me in pvp. As of now, locks only have one "get the fuck outta my face" move, and it's on a 2 minute cooldown. Also horde seems to enjoy gangbanging me (maybe its the sideboob robe?) so the howl of terror is useful for scattering 2 or more guys and running like hell or hitting them with dots. It's also good for those warriors who enjoy the charge / hamstring combo.

CoEx because it's only 1 point now, plus it makes dot kiting much easier when soloing.

I'd be willing to respsec and get both malediction and improved imp, but the imp HoT and CoEx will be helping me a ton in solo and pvp.

Granted I'll be respeccing about a dozen times, so this is merely temporary.
I HAVE CANDY GET IN VAN

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:36 pm

yeah, as I said HoT and CoEx seem kinda useless outside of pvp. I'll have to think about my own builds >_>

destro is prob. the bottom spec I'd choose since I still don't see much threat reduction (you'd have to either get imp drain soul or go master demo for that talent-wise it seems), so at a certain point it's counterproductive to just max damage output like a mage. On the other hand, the warlock's equivalent of vamp embrace is tempting....

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:25 pm

I made a post on another guild and this was some useful advice:
It depends on a lot of factors, including playstyle, raid compostion, and the instances you guys are running.

For example, Demonology is actually an extremely raid-viable and powerful tree IF you don't have to play imp-bitch. If you raid groups the tanks in 1 or 2 groups with a couple of imp-imp locks then you might be free to use whatever pet you wish, or sac whatever pet you wish. Demo grants a ton of flexibility and allows you to tailor yourself to specific encounters.

Now if you do have to play imp-bitch, then Demo is only good if you have your tanks out-geared and need the threat reduction your imp offers; I don't think this applies to you, as your +damage is fairly low, so aggro shouldn't be a problem. When we get to 25-man raids though, locks will mostly be relegated to imp duty so at 70, demo will be a weak raid tree with respect to that.

That said, Affliction & Destruction are now 2 very different styles of play; but they both share a couple elements too. First, both have an available 10% threat reduction, both have methods of regen, and both make use of the shadow tree. Now for the differences...

Affliction is very static, and you'll approach most encounters the same way. Gone are the days of SM-ruin Shadow Bolt spamming, deep Afflcition is a sustain build with plenty of damage available, but most raid-locks won't go more then 41-deep as the other two trees offer up both additional damage and resources valued by both you and your raid group. The real strength is Shadow Embrace, which is a 5% damage reduction for your tanks... it doesn't stack though, so a raid group only needs 1 Affliction lock with respect to that ability. Most of what you do is mantain dots, drain life, and toss shadow bolts on NF procs. You can spec pure +shadow damage and you can basically go on forever. The down sides are that you have very little synergy with other classes, you're gimped if the mobs are sahdow resistant or immune and you have very little burst for mobs without large life-pools. You also have to be very very careful with your threat... once your DoT's are up, they're up, and you can't stop them if the tanks get hit with an aggro-reduction ability or what have you; you're also going to have a lot of healing threat from Siphon Life & Drain Life, which reduces the total damage you can do without exceeding tank aggro.

Destruction is a bit more dynamic... You have a fire tree that is almost as good as your shadow (and come TBC it will be as good as shadow). You also have synergy options with not one, but 2 classes... Shadow priests will offer Shadow Weaving, and Fire Mages offer up Fire vulnerability. The locks are already throwing CoS & CoE so this helps you to reap some benefits. Burst damage is nearly mage-like as well, and you can pick up some big benefits to your AoE. Come TBC, Fire will probably take over as the primary damage tree because Incenrate is more mana-efficient then Shadow Bolt, but really, you can roll with either or even both. Threat is actually easier to control here as well; you're looking at less DoT damage, and a bigger emphasis on Direct Damage; so if you're threat is high you can simply stop casting. It also has some handy, although not ground breaking survival & sustain helpers such as Nether Protection and Soul Leech. The weaknesses are lower sustain, the risk of big crits and less "raidly" defensive utility.

Pre-patch I was MD-Ruin specced, mostly because BWL is such a threat-sensative instance (my guild is a BWL-AQ40 guild), and it helped a lot... I've also been deep-Affliction and was considering going back to MD-Ruin for a little more damage in AQ. The locks in our raid group split pretty evenly, half went deep Affliction, the other half went deep-Destruction and we still have 1 undecided (but he's out for several weeks with a hole in his hand). One of the Affliction locks tried a mid-combo of 28/2/20 and didn't like it, instead respeccing to deep affliction. Personally, I went 8/0/43 with the intent of going 15/3/43 at 70. Learning curve aside, I'm very much liking Destruction, it's a bit more mage-like, but doesn't feel mage-like at the same time if that makes sense. I also PvP a fair amount when I'm not raiding, so I made some comprimises for both areas. I have enough in Affliction though to help improve my sustain while the additional damage from destruction has put me at #1 on the DPS meters since patch despite having to play a utility role. My survivability has been excellent as well. Our Afflcition locks are speaking highly of their choices too, so really, I don't think you can go wrong with either tree as long as you play it to it's strengths and be mindful of it's weaknesses.