leveling spec

Warlock class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Sprock

leveling spec

Post by Sprock » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:11 am

im grinding up a warlock because well....

my warrior just isnt fun right now.

whats a good spec for leveling?
Heal me plz k thx
- Sprock's Last words

Elvenbane
Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Priest
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 110
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army
Battle.net region: us.battle.net
Battle.net character realm: Vek'nilash
Battle.net character name: Elvenbane
Battle.net character URL: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... e/advanced

Post by Elvenbane » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:38 am

I would assume demonology, just like beastmaster for hunters
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Brand

Post by Brand » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:01 pm

I'd say it's about a tie between affliction and demonology. Destruction is just too mana and shard intensive. While it's a blast at higher levels and especially in pvp, you'll be spending more time drinking than killing.

Demonology is a blast because it is so versatlie for pve and pvp. If you know which demon to use where, you can be unstoppable. I'd write a big huge thing on different strats for different demons, but all the abilities are pretty self explanatory.

I'm going to say affliction is the best for grinding. It is not shard intensive, there is very little downtime, and you get to annihilate entire villages of monsters and not think twice about it. I'm affliction right now and probably will be for a long time. I regularly farm about 4-8 mobs at a time by dotting and running, the occasional instant howl of terror followed by drain life if i'm hurting a bit. Farming high level elite single mobs is almost a joke, too. Curse of exhaustion, dot dot dot, run run run. Keep CoEx and dots up at all times. I've soloed those wandering elite patrols in AV before (the giant stitches dude, I forget his name) with no difficulty using that method. Another awesome thing affliction can do is drain tanking. I've drain tanked several bosses in instances that would otherwise kill a clothie. Soul siphon and a lot of dots make this possible.

If you're going affliction, your talents should go a litlte something like this:

- Get all 5 points in improved corruption ASAP and never regret it.

- Soul siphon. Soul siphon. Soul siphon. Makes drain tanking viable. Also incredibly reliable DPS. When all my dots are up, I do on average 200 damage per tick, healing me as well. With multiple warlocks in the raid keeping their dots up, I've gotten up 350 - 400 damage per tick. There have even been calculations that between lifetapping and drain tanking, you actually spend negative mana while doing insane DPS.

- At this point you can go for improved life tap, or put a few points in suppression.

- Get amp curse and Fel Concentration. Amp curse is just plain sexy, and fel concentration makes drain tanking even easier.

- Nightfall and Grim reach. Self explanatory. Empowered corruption is ornamental at this point, since while levelling up you wont have much +dmg gear, you should be focusing on stam and int.

- Siphon life and Coex, and put one point in shadow embrace. Shadow embrace counts as an affliction effect, which increases soul siphon by another 5%. One point is all you need. If you have any leftover points, another few points in suppression never hurt anybody.

- Get shadow mastery and contagion. 'Nuff said.

- Get dark pact. I used to hate it, but I've warmed up to it. Keep your imp out on phase shift and you have unlimited mana (plus you get to snicker everytime someone says "ZOMG TEH MANA, put up a jugmnt of wizdom kthx" on vent)

- Imp howl of terror is like your own psychic scream. Malediction is more useful for raids, it's really up to your preference.

- I go for UA simply because it's another dot. I've yet to see anybody dispel it in pvp, probably because the kind of morons I go up against dont know you can dispel dots, and they're probably the same whiners who got our dots nerfed in the first place. But if they did dispel it, they'd cry even more. Circle of life for retards.

Sorry about the wall of text. Don't worry, I'll go ahead and say it before anyone else does:

tl;dr
I HAVE CANDY GET IN VAN

Sprock

Post by Sprock » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:45 pm

thanks brand. good info there

too bad it was tl;dr
Last edited by Sprock on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heal me plz k thx
- Sprock's Last words

Elvenbane
Leader
Battle.net character URL: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... e/advanced

Post by Elvenbane » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:45 pm

Brand wrote:plus you get to snicker everytime someone says "ZOMG TEH MANA, put up a jugmnt of wizdom kthx" on vent

I hate you.

Brand wrote:I go for UA simply because it's another dot. I've yet to see anybody dispel it in pvp...

I hate UA soo much, cuz it's usually the last dot they tack on so it's the first to get dispelled, got killed by it soo much right after the patch.
Elvenbane#1520

Brand

Post by Brand » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:00 pm

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask, is there any specific order of dispel? I've heard that it's entirely random, but I'm not too sure. UA is usually 3rd dot I lay on, but I'll put it on last from now on if that's the case. :P
I HAVE CANDY GET IN VAN

Elvenbane
Leader

Post by Elvenbane » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:24 pm

afaik it dispells in reverse order to how they're laid.
Elvenbane#1520

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:04 pm

brand covered most of it, so there's little to add.

- suppression is alright but it's best when facing mobs at a higher lvl then you. Usually when you're lvling you don't face mobs more than 1 lvl higher than you (endgame imo is when it's best), so I'd take life tap over suppression

- lifetap lifetap lifetap. That's the big difference between warlocks and other casters. Make sure you have enough stamina, and between lifetap and dark pact (assuming you went 31 pt aff), you'll rarely have to gulp mana potions. If you plan on using lifetap alot, put 5 points in demonic embrace.

imo go aff with 11 points in demo (*if* you plan on summoning pets regularly or don't want to wait 10 sec each time)...or mostly aff. If you really want to spam shadowbolt and greatly improve dps, just put 10 points in Destro (imp SB and Bane).

- use either VW or succubi for draintanking. Succubi gives you dps and can seduce humanoids.

Sprock

Post by Sprock » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:21 pm

thanks for the recommendations on the affliction build.

i've been having a blast playing this warlock. last time i leveled one it was destruction spec. i remember be OOM constantly and it was in the days before soulshard bags so i was always reluctant to use a lot of space for all the shards that i really should have had on me.

but now, with affliction its non stop killing. i end every fight with near full health and mana and down time is non existant.
Heal me plz k thx
- Sprock's Last words

Brand

Post by Brand » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:47 pm

Glad you're enjoying it Sprock. What pet do you usually roll with?
I HAVE CANDY GET IN VAN

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character level: 70

Post by Ecnailla » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:09 pm

I took something away from this also. I respeced after reading this the first time and had about the same results. I had never even heard the term "drain tanking" - but once I had it down I did't really need my blueberry out anymore.

I am still working on pets. I usually keep VW out and let him tank or tank a 2nd mob with dots on both.

(my lock is lvl 27)

Sprock

Post by Sprock » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:15 pm

I'ts a toss up between the imp and the succy rightnow. VW can't really hold aggro on more then one mob if im dotting them up, so his durability isn't really that much of a bonus. Succy has better DPS and can just seduce if things get out of hand. I pull out the imp if i just dont feel like listening to the succy talk slutty at the moment. Just finally got around to finishing the felhound (or whatever it is) quest last night (at level 35 figured it was time to go back and do it) so i haven't really had much of a chance to play with it. i remember on my old warlock, i never really used it for anything.
Heal me plz k thx
- Sprock's Last words

Brand

Post by Brand » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:31 pm

Yeah, I don't use old blue that much anymore. His only use is a shield, which at the max rank absorbs about 2300 damage. I used him before I discovered that even though I was a clothie, I could still take hits. After that, I switched to the imp and never looked back.

Grinding with the imp is fun. Just got max rank blood pact (+66 stam ftw) and his fireball is just like having another dot on a mob. Makes drain tanking a ton easier, also great when I'm going on one of my dotting and running tears (getting 4-6 mobs) I can just dark pact and start draining. It's funny, even with all those mobs beating my ass, I still come out just fine.

Felhunter is good against casters and other special situations. In BG's I always roll with one for spell lock. It also has a fast attack speed, so even if they get a chance to cast it'll be interrupted. Not to mention it can eat enemy buffs or eat your debuffs and heal itself. It takes a bit of getting used to, but a warlock with a felpup and good sense of timing is definetley a force to be reckoned with.
I HAVE CANDY GET IN VAN

Elvenbane
Leader

Post by Elvenbane » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:18 pm

Felhound... by far the most annoying creature ever implemented into this game. Well, if you're a priest.
Elvenbane#1520

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character level: 70

Post by Ecnailla » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Ok, so I have started to drain tank and love it. I can dot 2 mobs that are orange to me, tank one and have my VW tank the other and do fine. Up to this thread I have ignored my drain life - Doh! I did't realize how powerful it was.

Question: Why don't I get hit with a green ray of light in BG more?