Affliction Raid Spec and Spell Priority

Warlock class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Priest
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 110
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army region: character realm: Vek'nilash character name: Elvenbane character URL: ... e/advanced

Affliction Raid Spec and Spell Priority

Post by Elvenbane » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:44 pm

Pet: Felhunter
Major Glyphs: Corruption, Curse of Agony, Siphon Life

Spell Priority:
Haunt to keep the buff up only
CoA (unless ur the only lock and there is no mage, the CoE)
Unstable Affliction
Siphon Life
Shadow Bolt (when Nightfall procs)6
Drain Soul (if the mob is <35% health)
Shadow Bolt

It seems a bit complicated on paper but it really isn't once you get used to it.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.

Post by Gnomerman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:13 pm

ummm elven, unless im missing something, i don't think there is a mage buff that would replace CoE

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Post by Brulan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:20 pm

It would be a DK or Oomkin that would provide the same debuff.

Post by Ginxx » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:41 pm

I dont agree with every word of what this dude on EJ says but the thrust of his post is really good to keep in mind while playing this spec:

Gnome Warlock

Mannoroth said
I think you're worrying way too much bout things. If it's a run in fight, I get instants off, haunt, ua, immolate, siphon, start sbing, haunt, etc.

I mean, dots take priority over shadowbolt, haunt takes priority over everything, etc. It's fairly straightforward and I find affliction to be really easy when you drop the notion of a strict rotation and instead look at it as a prioritization of abilities. I generally let dots fall off to get their "last tick" and finish whatever I'm doing (shadowbolt or whatever), then reapply them. 100% uptime isn't a huge concern to me because you can't do it perfectly, and you risk losing that last tick of a dot to keep 100% uptime, essentially losing dps overall since you wasted time not casting sb or doing something else to achieve that, and inadvertently losing the final tick of something.

This may sound counter-intuitive and wrong, but I don't do really high dps by trying to line everything up perfectly. I do it by getting a feel for things and reapplying things how I feel they should be while fitting in shadowbolts >.>. If UA is down for 0.5s cause I delayed slightly and I lose a slight bit of dps, I don't sweat it - cause I know I'm making it up elsewhere.

Perfect 100% dot uptime doesn't really get you anything, is impossible, and will cause stress, headaches, poor raid awareness, and overall bad dps.
You do want to stick to the rotation posted by EB and that determines the order but the part about not worrying about 100% up time i think is good ( IE dont interupt a SB cast to refresh a dot). Get a feel for it and DPS will rock.