Removing certain spells in 3.1 for affliction...

Warlock class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Doulmagnus

Removing certain spells in 3.1 for affliction...

Post by Doulmagnus » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:42 pm

-Off mmo-champion-

Removing Syphon of Life ... and Immolate?

Players tend to evaluate almost everything in terms of dps. If you could come up with a rotation with just one spell that maximized dps, many players would do it even if it was soul-destroyingly boring. If we were dumb and gave you 35 spells you needed to cast in the average fight, many players would still do it even if it made their eyes bleed. Clearly there is some intermediary point between 1 and 35. Part of our job is to think about what that number should be and not just focus on what the damage meters show at this moment.

We thought Affliction had too many spells to cast as part of their rotation (by which I mean spells they generally think about all the time, vs. cooldowns or more situational spells). What we want to do is get rid of Siphon Life and adjust everything else so that Affliction remains similar (it won't be identical) to how it was before.

That is a different intent than if the design team had sat down and said "We need to nerf Affliction. What is the best way to do it? Hey, we could remove Siphon Life." That happens sometimes, but that was not our design goal with this change.

Now, we do also want to remove Immolate, but it's a lot harder to do. The base Immolate spell does decent damage even without talents. If we nerf Immolate, then we have to add deep talents to both Destro and Demo to prop it back up. We might just leave it as is, because you could at least de-prioritize Immolate. Using it would be a modest dps increase, but nothing like your other spells. Or we might find ways to still steer it more towards the other two trees. One of the reasons we wanted to get some of the changes out early was to start getting feedback. Unfortunately, much of the feedback has been "I don't like the change because it's a dps loss and that's all that's important to me." (That's a bit of an exaggeration; I realize some of you care about it being instant cast, providing an extra debuff, like having a ton of spells to manage, or just liked the look and feel of the spell.)

Again, I understand the value of instant cast spells in PvP, but we aren't going to just design classes so that every spell they want to cast is instant for PvP reasons. We can't just write off all of those spells with an actual cast time as PvE only.

I know it's fun to say Blizzard doesn't understand this class (that they designed), or that no thought went into the decision, or drag out that tired old adjective: kneejerk. However, we put a great deal of thought into this. Just because you might disagree with the direction does not make that untrue. Sometimes we are going to make changes that may seem unpopular in the short term because we think it improves the game in the long term.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm unsure now. I thought it was cool to put Syphon Life mixed with Corruption since it provided one less whack-a-mole DoT to have up, but removing Immolate kinda has me worried a bit.

Guess we will have to see closer to the patch.

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:50 pm

i liked the first line
If you could come up with a rotation with just one spell that maximized dps, many players would do it even if it was soul-destroyingly boring
lol @tbc warlock, the absolute king of tbc dps (an illi glaive wielding rogue could come close).

had to put in my 2 cents. i had to sit there and look at how amazing shadowbolt was while all i had was fireball. it was nice... but it just was never as good.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Doulmagnus

Post by Doulmagnus » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:56 pm

I was affliction in TBC also... and my numbers where purely decorative compared to the destruction locks. At least now I can pull my weight.