Specs..

Warlock class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Evilturtle

Specs..

Post by Evilturtle » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:47 am

For the locks that look at their forums, what are you shooting for spec wise? I have choosen to go Destruction/Affliction

It is more of a pvp style of build, but it does some mean damage.

Also, what proffs have you guys picked up? Tailoring/Enchanting here.. So if you guys need anything cloth made, let me know.

Wyndsong

Post by Wyndsong » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:40 am

Popular specs are usually SM/Ruin, DM/Ruin, Soul Link, and Conflag.

Most ppl seem to avoid Dark Pact, but that's a personal choice.

EDIT: Sorry for invading the Warlock forum :)

Kianda

Post by Kianda » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:43 am

I am currently heavy affliction spec'd (32/8/8), but that's mainly for leveling and minimizing downtime. My trade skills are alchemy and herbalism. I'm going to be respecing soon (probably several times) to play around with some of the different talents.

Evilturtle

Post by Evilturtle » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Sounds good.. Oh, and Wynd, get the hell outta here!!!! ;)

Yumi

Post by Yumi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:20 am

I have a 31 point Destruction build so far. I plan on going SM/Ruin for endgame.

Skinning/Tailoring are my profs.

I plan on getting to atleast Friendly with Thorium Brotherhood to make Flarecore Gloves, damn the 6x Fiery Cores it takes.

Evilturtle

Post by Evilturtle » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:42 am

I could use some of that leather you get :)

Yumi

Post by Yumi » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Looking at respecing to this build as a target for lvl 60. I would use this build and just start adding to Shadow Mastry until I hit 60.

Thoughts?

Evilturtle

Post by Evilturtle » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:45 am

You are pretty even with the two trees, but personally I think you should look into a more heavy destruction spec. Take it down to conflag which helps ALOT for run aways.

I noticed you got curse of exhaust which would kind of replace conflag but when you hit DC - Immo - Conflag, it does a damn good job of taking them down.

Kianda

Post by Kianda » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:46 am

Yumi wrote:Looking at respecing to this build as a target for lvl 60. I would use this build and just start adding to Shadow Mastry until I hit 60.

Thoughts?

First off, Improved Drain Soul sucks. "YOU have to get the killing blow in order for it to proc. If anybody in your group/raid or your pet gets the kill, no Improved Drain Soul proc for you. You have to finish the mob while channeling Drain Soul. You also have to wait 5 seconds for yourself to go out of combat before it starts to tick well at all. And finally, Spirit is generally not considered an important stat for Warlocks at all, so your regen is going to suck anyway."

I'm going to assume you plan on doing a lot of PvP with curse of exhaustion and extended range spells as those aren't really needed for instances, although I would still consider moving some of those points to improved drain life because you will want it when you end up tanking (at the very least, move the 2 from improved drain soul).

Other then that minor tweak, it's a solid build that should kick out a lot of damage. Learning to not pull aggro will be fun.

Yumi

Post by Yumi » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:46 am

Harthran wrote:You are pretty even with the two trees, but personally I think you should look into a more heavy destruction spec. Take it down to conflag which helps ALOT for run aways.

I noticed you got curse of exhaust which would kind of replace conflag but when you hit DC - Immo - Conflag, it does a damn good job of taking them down.

I guess I thought that conflag would be to 'spikey' for use in an instance, right now I have about 15% crit on conflag. This is why I thought it might be good to go into the Affliction tree, pulling less agro with my DoTs.

Kianda wrote:First off, Improved Drain Soul sucks. "YOU have to get the killing blow in order for it to proc. If anybody in your group/raid or your pet gets the kill, no Improved Drain Soul proc for you. You have to finish the mob while channeling Drain Soul. You also have to wait 5 seconds for yourself to go out of combat before it starts to tick well at all. And finally, Spirit is generally not considered an important stat for Warlocks at all, so your regen is going to suck anyway."

I'm going to assume you plan on doing a lot of PvP with curse of exhaustion and extended range spells as those aren't really needed for instances, although I would still consider moving some of those points to improved drain life because you will want it when you end up tanking (at the very least, move the 2 from improved drain soul).

Other then that minor tweak, it's a solid build that should kick out a lot of damage. Learning to not pull aggro will be fun.

Thanks, I suspected that of Imp Drain Soul but wasn't exactly shure.

As far as pulling agro, I solo with the void all the time so I have gotten pretty good at managing my agro with him. In a dungeon, I almost never pull agro off the tank until the end. Oops, that conflag just critted him for 550-800, hes gunna be mad.

Curse of exhaust, I guess that was really more of a point sink because I wasn't really shure where to put in the final points to reach SM.

Reworked target for lvl 60:
Minus: Supression, Curse of Exhaustion, Imp Drain Soul
Added: Imp Drain Life, Imp Drain Mana.

Link.

This is my first lock, I am also wondering if maybe going Demo instead of Destro is better for end game raiding. I guess I got the feeling that Demo is a soloing tree, so I never really got in to it.

Evilturtle

Post by Evilturtle » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:03 pm

Demo is a solo tree, but I like damage and kind of stay away from the whole "Non-Damage dealing, solo class" like Prot warriors..

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue May 23, 2006 7:24 am

My Build

That talk about Imp Drain Soul being worthless is nonsense. This build allows for tons of burst dam. for PvP and at the same time its extremely effective for grinding be it for items or shards. You wont be getting any complaints raiding either. This is one reason I love Locks. At first glance this build looks like a pure PvP build, but even so its still effective in PvE. All other classes gimp themselves in one area in order to excel in another. We don't have to.

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:09 pm

a friend of mine who has an decked-out epic warlock told me about this 7/10/34 build (he gave me instructions for aff and demo but not destro)

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=AqMbVMbZZxx0tr0tt

I actually am thinking about re-speccing to move the 2 points away from improved drain soul since after I got this build i've seen it once...maybe 2-3 times total.

Here's a list of some suggested/common builds:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Warlock_builds

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:37 pm

at the advice of a naxx-running guild member I respecc'd to DS/Ruin (7 21 21, with 2 spare talents)

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 70

Post by Ecnailla » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:14 pm

I am working on a lock - can you link your new spec?

Usually I understand my goals and why I would spec one way, but the lock tree has thrown me a little.
Seems like the first tree is best for lvling and the last is best for DPS.