Slam Warriors

Post#1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:04 am

1. Slam
2. Rotation and Quartz
3. Gems and Stats
4. Improved Demo Shout?!
5. Execute Phase

Slam

Slam is an extremely intensive DPS spec for warriors, and to a greater extent, guilds, who are VERY committed to squeezing out the absolute maximum amount of DEEPS. Sustaining Blood Frenzy is the notion. It seems trivial, laughable, downright EASY. Some of you may be thinking, "Why Taralash, any ol' fop can do 'at, can't 'e?"

No Geordie, they can't. You MUST master the rotation, which is probably the most intensive rotation in the game!

Rotation and Quartz
The Slam spec REQUIRES you download and use a swing timer, Quartz being the norm. This is the hardest part of of being an Arms warrior, as your damage is directly related to how well you can execute the rotation. Slam resets your auto attack swing timer; when you use the ability is crucial.

You want your slam to start every swing as soon as the auto attack happens. To do this you need to have Quartz activated and displaying your swing timer. Ideally, if you have 0 latency, you will hit slam as soon as the swing timer finishes. If executed perfectly you will only loose .5 seconds from your auto attack, and you will be maximizing your potential damage. Unfortunately, most people do not have 0 latency; to maximize your rotation Quartz has another very use feature to help you avoid latency slowing your rotation.

This takes practice, and frankly, precise timing, even moreso because YOU CANNOT move while casting Slam or else the "spell" will cancel.

The rotation is as such:

Auto attack --> Slam --> Mortal Strike
Auto attack --> Slam --> Whirlwind
Auto attack --> Slam --> Mortal Strike
Auto attack --> Slam --> Demo Shout/Battle Shout

If you do not have enough rage to complete the rotation then just focus on getting the slams in at the very least. The final aspect about this rotation is that you cannot push your attack speed past 2.5 seconds, else you WILL start clipping auto attacks, and it becomes extremely difficult to even keep up the rotation while swinging so quickly as I have found when heroism is popped.

Gems and Stats

Stack Strength.

Armor Penetration is very important for Slam Warriors, and it is how they top DPS charts. It is very possible for a Slam Warrior to reduce a bosses' Armor to absolute 0, rendering him extremely vulnerable to attack. Stacking this is important, and I will report further findings as I gain more.

December 2009 Edit: LOL

Improved Demo Shout?!

This is something that, to me, is very important. For a warlock to safely be able to use curse of recklessness on a raid boss, someone in the raid needs to have 5/5 improved demo shout. This falls to arms warriors for several reasons. Chiefly, unbridled wrath is shit for arms. We also have room in our attack rotation to use demo shout. Curse of recklessness adds 800 armor penetration for the entire raid so it is very important for raid dps. If you raid with only 2 locks or someone else in the raid has improved demo then do not worry about it.

Execute Phase

Slap on two fast weapons and pop your shit. Maintain this until recklessness runs out, then re-equip your two hander and continue the rotation. Thats all there is to it.
Last edited by Taralash on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Slymangreat

Post#2 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:50 am

Can you post this spec I would like to have a look at it :D

Taralash

Post#3 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:24 pm

/pat
/soothe

kites

Post#4 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:37 pm

/purr

/snuggle

Polarside

Post#5 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:29 am

If that spec is for pure PvE, its fail.
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Gnomerman

Post#6 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 am

i thought you didn't want flurry in a slam rotation? or is that just me?

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

kites

Post#7 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 pm

You do. You just dont want to drop your swing timer below 2.5 otherwise it becomes significantly more difficult to put slams into your auto attacks with lag and such. Eventually you abandon slam entirely with enough haste. DST etc etc.

PS: I enjoyed the ninja delete of my constructive criticism.

Heartwood

Post#8 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:54 pm

From EJ:

33/28/0
>20%
Slam is an important part of this spec's dps. Slam resets your swing timer so it's best timed directly after a white hit (in order to minimize time wasted on a reset swing). Get an addon such as Quartz to help if you have latency problems, practice on some Blasted Lands mobs for Slam timing. Learn to use Slam. Generally this cycle is:
Auto -> Slam -> MS -> Auto -> Slam -> WW -> Auto -> Slam -> MS -> Auto -> Slam -> Instant
Battle Shout or Demoralizing Shout for example can be used as the last instant in the rotation. This rotation is commonly referred to as 4xSlam, 2xMS, 1xWW. One thing to note about Slam usage, if your attack speed goes below 2.5 seconds, drop Slam from your cycle and use Heroic Strike to manage your rage. Another option is to simply Slam only when Mortal Strike and Whirlwind are both on cooldown. This requires some practice and a feel for the play-style.
<20%
In most cases, your dps will be better under 20% if you continue with the 4xSlam 2xMS 1xWW cycle and ignore Execute, or slap Execute into that last instant spot. Some warriors prefer to switch to two fast weapons and Execute spam as normal. In the end it comes down to personal preference. Mobile fights will likely favor Execute spamming however.
At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Taralash

Post#9 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:53 pm

The spec Meeks provides is some skewed by a couple strange talent allocations as Enigma's Boxkite has pointed out. Obviously as Slam is an intensive DPS rotation you want maximum DPS and shit like Imp Intercept, while potentially useful, wont keep you in the top 5. I threw down a spec here, tell me if it's a little better.

kites

Post#10 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:38 pm

That is a very good spec. However it requires a fury warrior to have improved demo shout if your raid is using Curse of Recklessness.

Once a warrior accumulates enough crit they will not become rage starved as often if at all which means they will have a lot of spare rage even rage going to waste. To counter this if your rage is greater than 60 you queue up a heroic strike. This tends to make imp heroic strike a nice slot for that 1 extra point floating around.

Ive seen some warriors put it into Ovepower but the waste of the GCDs switching stances seems ridiculous in my opinion.

Taralash

Post#11 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:45 pm

Yeah, Overpower is PvP all the way, but I didnt know about that Heroic Strike business. Its kinda similar to the Fury rage dump

kites

Post#12 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:00 am

Yes. Exactly. If you are hugging threat already it may not be good to use HS and use Cleave instead so it depends on the current situation of the warrior.

Taralash

Post#13 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:14 am

Dude fuck cleave, it's nothing but a shit multi-target version of HS, and there is no reason you should be hugging the tank if you have Salv, especially on bosses.

kites

Post#14 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:44 am

Haha there are times you are hugging the tank. I can remember hugging at least 50% of the fight on VR.

Context

Post#15 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:43 pm

im slam, btw.

a bit of pvp talents though.
don't judge.
...have trigger, will travel...

Return to “Warrior”