Tanking and general strat for all boss encounters for BT

Warrior class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Tachion

Tanking and general strat for all boss encounters for BT

Post#1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:31 am

I shamelessly ripped this out of the forums. This is our MT's experience and advise to BT MT. He also gives a lot of other helpful info on each boss as well.

Bt/Hyjal Tanking Guide by Tee

Basic Rotations and Gearing:
There are two set threat rotations for tanking that will hold for all single boss tanking and one set rotation for multi mob tanking. The single boss tanking rotations depend on if the boss is a low rage or infinite rage boss. For low rage bosses you set your rotation for maximum threat per rage; for infinite you set your rotation for maximum threat. Your rage will always spike depending on strings of hits and for this you need to be aware of how much rage you currently have how much rage you need for the next ability in your rotation and how long your shield block cool down is currently at.
Pre Pull:
Always swap into berserker stance and use berserker rage before swapping into defensive stance and using blood rage.

Low rage:
Rotation (By Threat Per Rage)
1. revenge 2. shield slam. 3. devastate 4. devastate
Rotation (Infinite Rage)
1. shield slam 2. revenge 3. devastate 4. devastate
These rotations are set and you should get used to spamming your keys in order to maintain these rotations. The first rule is to make sure your shield block is always used and only saved on fights like Illidan or Brut when you are not tanking. Use Heroic Strike liberally to dump your rage so you are never sitting on a full rage bar.
Multi Mob Rotation
Rule 1. Thunderclap every CD- it’s your best ability to keep healing agro on 4 mobs.
Rule 2. Spam Cleave
Rule 3. Keep taunt ready for the kill target, on pulls of 4 or more its better to build aoe agro and keep your taunt and concussion blow ready for the skull marked on the pull.

Gearing:
Always have a trash set, a mitigation boss set, an effective health boss set and a threat boss set ready for the individual situations that you need to adjust for; knowing how to gear for a boss is as important as doing the tanking of the boss.
For your threat set the order of stats is expertise, hit, shield block value. Avoid stacking too much dodge so you have a steady rage stream to dump. When in doubt on a boss- it’s always safer to use a mitigation set.
For your mitigation set on physical bosses its self explanatory to gear. Remember to gear for stam on bosses whose main damage is magical, physical mitigation means nothing when the damage incoming is magic.
Your trash set shouldn’t include your dps gear however you shouldn’t use any mitigation trinkets and the shard of contempt should be your first trinket choice. Gemming the ZA chest with 3 10 hit gems and the Khaz’rogal shield with hit are also perfect choices for a trash set.

The Dalai Lama said, "Remember, not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck."

When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
Contact CardPersonal MessageEmailAIM
TeeSmiley Posted: Aug 4 2008, 10:09 PM Quote

Council Member
Grand Fucktard
Exp: 2,819
Mting Hyjal Bosses:

Hyjal:

Individual Bosses: Rage Winterchill
Boss Name
Gearing Threat Gear
Consumables Elixir of Major Agility and Fort
Tips: Tps is an issue on this fight due to the fact that he doesn’t melee during death and decay. If healing is good you can announce you are staying in death and decay to build more threat. Watch for ice block on the tank as you can be crushed while you are in the ice block. Use your low rage rotation on this boss as he doesn’t melee hard and ask for an enhancement shaman in your group for obvious reasons. CoR should be used to help threat- don’t bother with wasting rage on demo shout as hit extra AP gives you more rage that is needed on this fight.

Individual Bosses: Anatheron
Boss Name
Gearing Mitigation
Consumables Fort Flask
Tips: Tps for ranged is a non issue on this fight as the infernals are getting dpsed as you tank anatheron. Save your moroes trinket for tank healers getting the reduced healing debuff and hold threat over the melee. Keep up demo and thunderclap to ease stress on the healers.

Individual Bosses: Khaz’rogal
Boss Name
Gearing Mitigation with Shard of Contempt
Consumables Fort Flask
Tips: The stun will make your threat have to be burst based. The dps will be nuking from the start so you have to frontload your threat with WF and MDs. Make sure you position him so that the npcs don’t cause parry strings. A bit of twisting and slight movement is required at the start of the fight. Make sure you save your last stand for the last 15% when healer mana is low and don’t hesitate to use shield wall if you get low early. Blow your moroes trinket on CD as soon as you have enough rage to start your threat rotation. Use demo and tc because the stun will cause burst damage on you that you want to watch out for.

Individual Bosses: Azgalor
Boss Name
Gearing Mitigation
Consumables Fort Flask
Tips: Watch for parry strings on the npcs again. Always use nightmare seeds before silences and time your moroes trinket to be used during a silence you drop below 50% health. Don’t move out of the fire aoe if it hits you as healing range is extremely important on this fight. If you didn’t use shield wall and last stand use them at around 15% because a tank death late will wipe the raid quickly. Demo and TC should be kept up at all times because threat is a non issue on this fight as the dps is moving constantly. Save pot cds for super healing during silences when your trinkets are not up.

Individual Bosses: Archimonde
Boss Name
Gearing Mitigation
Consumables Fort Flask
Tips: Don’t miss a stance dance, it will wipe the raid, I bind my mouse roll up in defensive stance to berserker stance and in berserker stance my mouse roll up is berserker rage and mouse roll down is defensive stance. So on Fears roll up twice and down once to get back to tanking. Make sure demo and TC are up constantly as he hits slow but for quite a large amount. Save trinkets and cds for fears to help healers recover and use last stand on soul charges. Threat is a non issue on this fight after the first few doom fires. Make sure you twist archimonde to get out of the melee if they have to move from doom fire. Getting airbursted is almost always going to be a wipe due to healing range. Tanking besides stance dancing is easy on this fight- it’s up to the healers and dps to not soul charge the raid. At 10% when the bubble goes up swap to DWing and if you haven’t used your 30 minute CD pop reck and execute spam.

The Dalai Lama said, "Remember, not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck."

When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
Contact CardPersonal MessageEmailAIM
TeeSmiley Posted: Aug 4 2008, 10:11 PM Quote

Council Member
Grand Fucktard
Exp: 2,819
Black Temple:

Black Temple:

Individual Bosses: Najentus
Boss Name
Gearing Mitigation
Consumables Fort Flask
Tips: Save your trinkets and pot cds for directly after the shattering of the shield. Remember to not use any rage while the bubble is up as he is immune and you may not fill your bar by the burst of the shield. Use demo and Tc just because it’s not a fight you really need extra rage for. De all the loot and move on to supremus.

Individual Bosses: Supremus
Boss Name
Gearing Mitigation
Consumables Fort Flask
Tips: Tank and spank phase is easy. The challenging part is to make sure you are always in melee range during the kite phase so the rogues and other melee don’t get hit between him targeting people to follow. Intervene the person being kited to get to the spot faster. Before he transitions call for a dps stop and Get in a centralized position without volcanoes around to tank him. Position yourself directly inside his click box so the healers have an easier time getting range. His hitbox is huge and after the kite phase many are out of position so save your pot / hs / ls / trinkets cooldowns for transitions. If he targets you during the kite phase you can tank him as normal.

Individual Bosses: Akama
Boss Name
Gearing Threat
Consumables Major Agility and Fort
Tips: Use thunderclap on cd to get adds on you and target the healer, then the caster, then the rogue and use a cleave, tc, and build threat on the kill target. They are tauntable and tanking a side solo as a warrior shouldn’t be challenging as long as you have a slow trap. When the adds are dead and shade starts to move swap to DWing and dps in beserker stance.

Individual Bosses: Teron Gorefiend
Boss Name
Gearing Threat
Consumables Fort Flask
Tips Max your Tps. Gear for threat and hold it over nuking dps. Use your pots health stones and trinkets reactively while making sure you keep up battle shout. This fight is the first measure of how your tps holds up. Also yell at hunters to make sure they drop snake traps to eat shadowbolts off of the clouds. Use last stand and shield wall at a low percentage if constructs get into the raid.

Individual Bosses: Reliquary of Souls
Boss Name
Gearing Threat
Consumables Major Agility and Fort
Tips Phase 1- eat enrages only. Use trinkets during your time to see if you can eat 2.
Phase 2- save rage for spell reflect on deaden. Don’t attempt to shield bash the disorient as it will mess up the rogues interrupt rotation. Hold agro while making sure you don’t dump all of your rage.
Phase 3- swap stances to dump rage for the cooldown on soul scream- it can hit you extremely hard later in the phase. Always use last stand and shield wall at around 15% and hold agro the best you can. There will be threat issues and if someone does pull, make sure you have your taunt and CS ready quickly.

Individual Bosses: Gurtogg Bloodboil
Boss Name
Gearing Full Mitigation with a Full mitigation trinket selections (like moroes and hydross trinkets)
Consumables Flask of Fort
Tips With agro don’t dump rage with HS to let the other tanks catch up until around 50% and then build as much threat as possible. Use your trinkets to let your debuffs fall off so you can tank again. Make sure demo and tc are up and you have both shouts in your group. Don’t use shield block without agro however use it to mitigate damage and dump rage while you have it. Watch Omen very closely to make sure you are within range of the other tanks and call for MDS and dps slows as needed. Use shield wall and last stand under 10% with agro when are are only 2 tanks left up. DO NOT intervene fel raged person as it can one shot you. Always make sure you reposition him in the center by the water fall after fel rage is over. If you need to clear your debuffs you can ask for a bop and get out of melee range or attack from the side as long as you are not #2 in agro.

Individual Bosses: Mother Sharaz
Boss Name
Gearing Full Mit, no shadow resist
Consumables Fort Flask
Tips Tank and spank, easy to hold agro due to dps in shadow resist gear. Save your cooldowns for teleports on top of the tanks. Keep up tc and demo and watch your health bar.

Individual Bosses: Illidari Council
Boss Name
Gearing Max Stam for Tanking Priest, Max Mit for tanking Pally
Consumables Fort Flask
Tips: Priest-save your shield block, move out of aoe and don’t miss heals. That’s it.
Pally- Save spell reflect for every other judgement, you cannot reflect judgement of blood. Move out of consecrate and keep your reactive abilities ready for double aoes. Make sure you don’t kite him over healers and make sure the melee has room to dps out of the consecrate.

Individual Bosses: Illidan
Boss Name
Gearing
Consumables
Tips
waiting to see flames first person for the first time.

Heartwood

Post#2 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Our first move into BT, from a tanking perspective, made one thing clear...these bosses are different from previous ones.

One of the first issues I found is that they are highly resistant to warrior debuffs. I was wasting 8-10 GCDs trying to land TC on the boss a number of times that could have else wise been put towards threat gen. But like all boss fights, there are only so many GCDs and so much rage and its a balance between survivability and threat gen. Next run into BT, we'll look at getting Hyrion to help get getting the debuffs to land.

The fights are a lot of fun. They all have their unique challenges and Supremus is a blast with the large playfield and hazards to keep an eye on.
At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

hyrion

Post#3 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Normally i would take care of the debuffs.
On najentus i went dps gear and bezerker stance, next time i'll do battle stance so that i can keep the TC up.
Supremus is a rage starved boss for me. After a hateful strike i have a full bar but that gets used fast trying to keep my aggro up. I'll try to keep debuffs up but am afraid my TPS will suffer.
I used to do the debuff job on void reaver when you and gnos would tank it and my threat would be significantly below both of you. I can try on supremus but am worried that the hateful will end up on another player. If it's one of the OT's thats fine, but if it hits a melee than they are dead.

Tachion

Post#4 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 pm

screw melee anyway. one less loser to heal :P

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

Post#5 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:03 pm

I thought the hatefuls went to the person with the most health? Is it threat and health?

hyrion

Post#6 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:46 pm

it's most health and significant threat.
Not sure what the strats meant by significant threat but i would rather not find out.

Gonna go look at another strat and see if this can be clarified. Now that i think about it the strat i read was kind of stupid to not expalin what "significant threat" meant.

Looked at another strat and it didn't say anything about threat being an issue. It did say the MT should have more health than the OT or Supremus may ignore the OT and target melee dps instead.
All kind of confusing now, wish all these strats were consistent. I say stay with what worked for us, i'll gear for a little more health than heart and try throwing out the debuffs this time.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#7 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:33 pm

"Significant threat" basically means that you are on his aggro list and in melee range. His Hatefuls are basically identical to Patchwerk in Naxx; they are based solely on health and not threat.

Edit: From my experience back in Naxx, there is some kind of a "priming" event that occurs on initial aggro with Patchwerk/Supremus. Essentially, the first targets to engage him after an aggro wipe or aggro change (e.g., a tank dies or overaggros, or a phase change occurs for Supremus) are given the highest priority for Hateful Strikes. However, the main factor is still health; whoever is in melee range, on his threat list, and has the most health will get whomped.

Return to “Warrior”