Warrior class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Heartwood

SBV Macro for 3.0/WotLK

Post#1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:52 pm

/use [harm,nodead,equipped:Shields] Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600
/use [harm,nodead,equipped:Shields] Coren's Lucky Coin
/cast Shield Slam

I pulled this off of a thread at Tankspot to activate both +SBV items and then Shield Slam. If you wanted to add a pretty-swirlly thing like Lealla would likely do, you could add a "#showtooltip Buffed Shield Slam" line before the above macro.
Last edited by Heartwood on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#2 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 pm

"#showtooltip Shield Slam" would work just fine; the reason you need it is that otherwise the macro would show the first spell/item that would be used, in this case the Auto-Blocker, and not the tooltip for Shield Slam, which is what you really want.

You'll also get some error spam with the above macro, since it's going to tell you rather annoyingly every time you click it that the items in question are not ready yet. There are two ways around this: have the trinkets activate on a modified click, such as with Shift - this way you control them rather than having them activate automatically; the other way is to incorporate statements in the macro to clear the error messages.

Examples of each follow:

Code: Select all

#showtooltip Shield Slam
/use [mod:shift,harm,nodead,equipped:Shields] Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600
/use [mod:shift,harm,nodead,equipped:Shields] Coren's Lucky Coin
/cast Shield Slam

Shift is simply a suggestion; you could use Ctrl or Alt. Just remember that if that key combination is already bound to something else, it won't work as a modifier to the macro. For example, Shift-1 through Shift-6 are bound to action bar paging in the default UI, and Ctrl-1 through Ctrl-0 are bound to the pet action bar.

#showtooltip Shield Slam
/console EnableSFX 0
/use [harm,nodead,equipped:Shields] Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600
/use [harm,nodead,equipped:Shields] Coren's Lucky Coin
/console EnableSFX 1
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/cast Shield Slam

This version will spam the trinkets with Shield Slam, but you'll be spared the error sounds and messages. Note: if you habitually operate with sound off anyway, then the /console lines can be omitted.

Heartwood

Post#3 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:25 pm

*woot* Much nicer.

Heartwood

Post#4 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:25 am

Here is a newer version from Ciderhelm from Tankspot.com:

#showtooltip Shield Slam
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()
/cast Shield Block
/use 13
/use 14
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/script UIErrorsFrame:Show()
/cast Shield Slam
/startattack

The nice thing that this does is that it activates Shield Block first which increases SBV by 100%. To maximize the Shield Slams in the window of increased SBV, watch how Sword and Board is finally implemented and use ONLY those damage abilities that proc the refresh of Shield Slam via Sword and Board.

Right now my SBV set is sitting at 894 on live, not including trinket buffs which increase SBV to 1294. The gearing conversions and Str->SBV conversion will likely increase these values into some truly stunning Shield Slam crits.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#5 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:07 am

The "/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()" and "/script UIErrorsFrame:Show()" lines are unnecessary. Macros run inbetween frame draws, so there is never a point in time where the messages would be displayed. This particular idea leaked out into the macro community and is now a common practice, when in fact it's a complete waste of 58 characters. I feel that it is my duty to stamp this practice out whenever I encounter it.

Also, by tying Shield Slam to Shield Block as well as your trinkets, you're setting yourself up to always use those abilities/items whenever they are available, even if you may prefer to save them for situations where it really matters. If I were a tank, I would have my "oh crap" button set up separately (or via a modifier) so that I can hit it when I anticipate a big damage spike. An example might be if a boss has an Enrage mechanic, or if you have to deal with waves of adds where a high SBV is needed.

However, this is merely a matter of play style, not a hard and fast rule. If you don't want to be bothered with remembering to hit Shield Block and trinkets, then the macro is a great way to maximize your usage of those abilities.

Lastly, the macro above is specifically intended to max SBV in order to achieve huge Shield Slam results. Obviously, if you aren't equipping SBV trinkets, you would get less useful results.

Heartwood

Post#6 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:22 am

I bounced your revision on the macro off of Ciderhelm from Tankspot.com and he gave the macro a try on the Beta server. Here's what he found:

Hey, I tested this in-game this evening to verify the information. I couldn't tell you whether it's a Wrath specific change or not, but the UI error hide is definitely working. More specifically, once I removed those lines, I began seeing the "This item is on cooldown" message every time I used it.

Yes, the macro is designed for grinding. It wouldn't be a good idea to progression tank with it.

Looks like the extra lines in his version suppress the cooldown spam, which is nice.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#7 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:36 am

Did he keep the "/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()" line? That's what removes the message. I can test it (or similar macros) myself on the PTRs and see what happens.

Return to “Warrior”