[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Level 80 Raid Tanking Spec - Clan YaWA - You and Whose Army

Level 80 Raid Tanking Spec

Warrior class discussion.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Heartwood

Level 80 Raid Tanking Spec

Post#1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:10 am

Currently I'm looking at as my upcoming spec for level 80. The only thing I'm not completely happy with is not having been able to include Puncture for the rage reduction on Devastate/Sunder. But between Puncture and Focused Rage, FR is the better way to go since it has the same amount of rage cost reduction for ALL offensive abilities.

Rage generation seems like it will be much better come WotLK, especially with the above build. Ghostcrawler has said that Blizzard would like to see the order of importance for tanks to be: Revenge, Shield Slam, Devastate. Time will tell once everything goes to Live about how rage generation goes and whether I'll have to tinker with the above build or not more.

At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Taralash

Post#2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:45 am

Looks solid IMO. But why Imp Revenge over Imp Bloodrage, or Imp Heroic Strike, or Puncture? Furthermore, they are changing Armored to the Teeth to Attack Power, not strength, how will this affect the build?

hyrion

Post#3 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 pm

Heartwood

Post#4 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:17 pm

The assumption is that rage will not be better for 3.0 and beyond. I've never likedly Imp. Bloodrage given that Anger Management is a better rage generator for boss fights if rage generation is what is being sought (and its passive...not sure if Imp Bloodrage also eats a CD or not). Imp. HS is nice to keep rage dumping efficient still. With the increased damage of the build I'm hoping that it will equate to roughly the same amount of threat overall as compared to a build that produces less damage for less rage.

Revenge is being designed as the Prot War's #1 go-to ability . So the additional 20% damage of Imp Revenge is very attractive. Not sure if the stun will be more of a hassle though in positioning mobs in trash pulls.

Puncture applies only to Sunder and Devastate, making Focused Rage the better choice given limited talent points to spread around between damage, threat, mitigation/avoidance, and rage conservation talents.

The upcoming changes to Armored To The Teeth will equate to 111 AP at 20k armor, which makes it very good bang for the buck.

If rage starvation becomes an issue, then I'd turn to Puncture first as Devastate will be one of the 3 most frequent offensive abilities used by Prot Wars. The problem then will be cutting 3 points away from mitigation/avoidance talents.

Taralash

Post#5 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:20 pm

Yeah I hear ya. No reals flaws in the build. Hell, I'd use it. But still, AP is useless for Protection, Strength was good because it boosted block, but I believe the points Armored to the Teeth could be spent elsewhere.

Gnomerman

Post#6 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:38 pm

i wouldn't say AP is worthless, 2 of your 3 most commonly used abilities are based of AP. granted str is better.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Taralash

Post#7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:43 pm

I guess I'm just old school. I haven't really been keeping up with tanking stuff. To me Prot was never about AP, but I guess that's going to change.

Heartwood

Post#8 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 pm

Str is preferred as it directly feeds Shield Slam damage and mitigation from blocking. AP is still a good, solid, consistent feed into threat gen from damage or abilities that scale from AP. I don't think it would be unreasonable to be around 25k armor around level 80 for instances and early raids. That would be approximately +139 AP which is a very nice increase in DPS/TPS for only 3 talent points.

A lot can change by the time level 80 becomes a concern. The tough decisions I'm looking at right now are for a level 70 build. 70->80 I'll likely be solo grinding/questing for the most part and talents won't be as make-or-break as they are in min-maxing for raids.

Return to “Warrior”