Heads up to raid healers

Talk about anything Warcraft related.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Heartwood

Heads up to raid healers

Post by Heartwood » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm

And whoever said we should make mention of the change to healer moves such as earth shield and prayer of mending that gives the healer the aggro rather than the tank now is spot on. My healer who is an excellent healer got killed many times in Kara on PTR because of this.

WARNING: Tell your healers NOT to prayer of mending / earth shield you at the start of a pull, especially on AoE type pulls. It causes them to receive all aggro that used to go to you, the tank. It can be very dangerous to them as it CAN and will cause mobs to pull off you from the start
The above is from one of the tanking forums that I frequent.
At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Lealla
Class Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Druid
WoW character gender: Female
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army

Post by Lealla » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:22 pm

I know I brought this up before, but it definitely deserves mention again. PoM/ES at the start of a pull will get healers smacked in the face. Power Word: Shield is now the only precast effect that won't give aggro to the caster (since it isn't actually a heal).

To compensate for this, tanks now have many more AoE threat tools in their arsenals. But give them time to be used!

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 70

Post by Ecnailla » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:28 pm

so do pallys get mana from them now?

Lealla
Class Leader

Post by Lealla » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:39 pm

Ecnailla wrote:so do pallys get mana from them now?
Yeppers. O frabjous day!

Paxstris

Post by Paxstris » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 am

I'm saddened by that change since pre-POM'ing was a good way to get initial aggro on a less-than-stellar tank. It was a trick I learned while leveling, and now it's not applicable anymore.

Pre-POM'ing was also a good raid tool too (see Vashj and her initial arrow of doom on Heart) to keep the trigger-happy dps from pulling too soon.

Seriously gimping us now since Bliz conditioned us to pre-POM and now we can't do it anymore.

Ecnailla

Post by Ecnailla » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:52 am

Threat isn't an issue in the slightest. I am happy to trade the threat for it giving me mana. This is in no way a gimp.

Polarside

Post by Polarside » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Umm maybe on the PTR but not live? I respecced back to resto when 3.0.2 hit and I've been healing HHM every night... Throwing ES on the tank and I don't even register on the threat meter until I throw a heal out. And this is after a few charges of ES have gone off. Maybe Omen is screwed up though... I don't know, but nothing has yet to come after my ass.
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post by Lealla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Remember that threat is really small for heals. It's already 50% of the base amount, multiplied by your talents and balanced against the tank's dramatically increased threat generation in 3.0.

Ecnailla

Post by Ecnailla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:35 pm

I bet ret aura alone would negate most of it. The first hit is usually pure over heal - is it calculated the same way?

Lealla
Class Leader

Post by Lealla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:42 pm

Overhealing doesn't generate threat. If the tank gets hit for 200 and your ES heals for 1000, you only get threat for that 200 healing actually done. That 200 healing only counts for 100 base threat, and if you have 30% reduction from talents, it goes down to 70. Then you further divide that by the total number of mobs that have you on their threat list.

Polarside

Post by Polarside » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 am

I didn't even take the talents that reduced my healing threat (15% for me). But I was watching the threat meter much closer last night and I waited for several charges of my ES to go off. It was overhealing on the first few and I know overheal doesn't generate threat, but still wasn't registering on the threat meter. I waited till I could see a ES charge go off and get a full Riptide off. ES went off... Showed no threat. I threw a Riptide for about 1500 and I showed up on the threat meter as having 750 threat. So I still believe this is only on the PTR's or something isn't right with the threat meters.

Another thing is, I cast ES before the fight even starts. I haven't tried casting it on the tank after the boss was engaged. Maybe its something to do with that... I don't know. I'll continue to look at it. Because this dude was on the PTR when having the problem. Maybe it won't for us on live until Wrath is fully live Nov 13th.
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Elvenbane
Leader
WoW character class: Priest
WoW character level: 110
Battle.net region: us.battle.net
Battle.net character realm: Vek'nilash
Battle.net character name: Elvenbane
Battle.net character URL: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... e/advanced

Post by Elvenbane » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Lealla got himself nuked last night on Vashj by PoMing Heart off the pull.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Stask

Post by Stask » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:30 pm

Elvenbane wrote:Lealla got himself nuked last night on Vashj by PoMing Heart off the pull.
Now I don't feel so bad about Rejuving Heart that time on the Vashj pull a while back. :-P
"I am unworthy of any respect. True story." -Brulan

Recorded for posterity. He had no idea how right he was.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post by Lealla » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:31 pm

The worst part was I knew I shouldn't have done it, but did it anyway as a reflex.

Elvenbane
Leader
WoW character class: Priest
WoW character level: 110
Battle.net region: us.battle.net
Battle.net character realm: Vek'nilash
Battle.net character name: Elvenbane
Battle.net character URL: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... e/advanced

Post by Elvenbane » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:32 pm

I'm just glad you did Lealla, cuz I got the "a more powerful version is already on blah blah blah" error.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520