Food for thought

Talk about anything Warcraft related.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Ecnailla

Food for thought

Post#1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:06 pm

I have heard this probably 5 or 6 times in my life- I know they mentioned it when I started karate and I just read an article online about it...

They say if you want to be an "expert" at something or perform at an "elite" level you have to work on it for about an hour a day for ten years. Some people have natural talent and some people focus for more than an hour a day lowering that down -but still - about 10 years is a good goal to mater something.

I started to think about this in regards to warcraft. I think it is safe to say most of us spent or spend more than an hour a day on it.

Lets see.... 1 hour a day... 365 days a year.... 365 hours a year... multiplied by 10 (screw leap years) = 3,650 hours needed to become an expert/elite/master something....

152 days played would be around 3,648 hours played. 2 hours short of the "10 year" number of hours.

I was sitting between 250-300 days played before I deleted all my toons ( I still can't believe I didn't record my final /played).

Cheezy is just over 300.... Lealla was at 222 last March (10 months ago)... Last he told me I think elven was around 300....

I'm sure a lot of you are well over the 152 days played if not doubling it.

Now its official, you're 1337!

(Just kidding, you are all still a bunch of noobs)

Gnomerman

Post#2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:55 am

that is something, im not sure what my /played is, i'll have to check later. on a side note, i would like to thank you for pointing out how much time i've spent playing wow. if i had spent that time doing something else, it gives me a greater appreciation for what i could have accomplished. if i had worked a mimimum wage job, (im assuming 6 bucks an hour here) that is just short of $22,000 pre tax. thats more than i paid for my car (one of them sedans with the gas pedal recall). Im fairly certian most of you make just a little bit more than that /hour (i hope quite a bit more). and people want to sell their accounts for a few hundred dollars.... pffft.

however, on the flip side, if i had spent that time going out i would have spent a lot more than 6 bucks an hour.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Palehorse

Post#3 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:49 pm

actually I heard the standard metric is 10,000 or so hours to become proficient/expert in something. so a number of "child prodigies" were basically practicing their craft many hours a day. Iirc it took Bobby Fischer around 9 years before he became tops in chess.

Return to “Warcraft General”