Macro assistance thread

Forum for mod & macro requests and discussion

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Ecnailla

Post#16 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Lealla wrote:Ecnailla:

Your first example is simply a castsequence, as follows. The reset portion puts you back to the beginning of the sequence when you enter or leave combat or you switch targets. These kinds of macros look nice on paper, but in practice they can screw you up if you get too dependent on them and something goes wrong.

Code: Select all

/castsequence reset=target/combat Vampiric Touch, Vampiric Embrace, Shadow Word: Pain, Mind Blast, Psychic Scream

For the second, that's the [channeling] conditional that is true when you're channeling a spell. This only works for channeled spells, not spells with a cast time. It would look like:

/cast [nochanneling] Mind Flay

Awesome - thank you!

I don't/won't use this durring normal play, but there is one area were I grind for mote of mana that this is perfect for. The mobs pose little to no risk to me unless I get 4 or more on me with low mana and there is a big area to fear them in, so it is very limited to just that farming spot, but for that spot it is gold! Thanks again!

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#17 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:57 pm

i'ma laugh when u get banned for botting
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Ecnailla

Post#18 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:11 pm

Bah- never happen....

I buff everyone who walks by with fort - I buy water from mages, I ask for buffs, i talk all the time and move constantly. I have A.D.D and get board - I mix it up just to try new stuff all the time.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#19 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:52 pm

You can't get bot-banned for using a /castsequence, unless you put a drinking birdy on your keyboard and walk away. :-) Just watch the game every now and again and you'll be fine.

FYI, I wasn't sure of the exact spelling of some of the spells in that macro example; you may need to adjust it a bit.

Ecnailla

Post#20 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:55 pm

How do you use trinkets? I want to have a “last stand, killing blow” macro that hits both my trinkets, power infuses myself (assuming all cooldowns are ready) and casts Shadow Word: Death.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#21 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:34 pm

There are two ways to use trinkets: by name, and by inventory slot number. For example:

/use Vengeance of the Illidari

This will equip your Vengeance of the Illidari in your top trinket slot if it isn't equipped, and activate it if it is. This is a good command if you want to be able to see the trinket's cooldown, but generally less useful than the following:

/use 13
/use 14

These commands use whatever is in your top or bottom trinket slot, respectively. This way, you aren't dependent on having a specific named item equipped, but you do need to make sure that the item you have equipped has a "Use:" property, or it might cause an error.

The last piece of the puzzle is the /stopcasting command, which permits you to chain multiple effects in the same macro as long as none but the last invoke the global cooldown.
2.3: /stopcasting is no longer needed to chain non-GCD abilities.

Thus, we assemble our final monster:

#showtooltip Shadow Word: Death
/use 13
/use 14
/cast [target=player] Power Infusion
/cast Shadow Word: Death

However, you will run into one problem here, which is that all "spell booster" trinkets and abilities have a linked cooldown so that you may only have one active at any given time. Thus, the above macro will use the first trinket or ability on the list that is available (equipped, not on cooldown) and all the others will give you "Not ready" errors. You will always cast the final spell, regardless of errors, if it's possible to do so.

Warning: I don't recommend that you set this macro up for general use, or you'll get tons of error spam and probably want to shoot yourself. It's probably best, if you will be replacing your existing SW:D action button, to put a modifier condition on the macro to only attempt to pop trinkets when you hold a certain key. Here's an example, using "Alt" as our modifier:

#showtooltip Shadow Word: Death
/cast [nomod:alt] Shadow Word: Death
/stopmacro [nomod:alt]
/use 13
/use 14
/cast [target=player] Power Infusion
/cast Shadow Word: Death
Last edited by Lealla on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ecnailla

Post#22 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:11 pm

Is there a website you learned all of this from or just off of wow's site? I can't tell you how awesome this stuff is to me...

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#23 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:21 pm

I am a computer programmer by hobby and trade, and I've been contributing to and trolling on the UI & Macros forum on the main WoW website for close to a year now. Does that count? ;-)

Ecnailla

Post#24 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:32 pm

That works : ) - never got into programing- just networking. "unofficial CCNA" lol.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#25 » Wed May 30, 2007 8:24 am

I have just updated the macros in this thread for WoW version 2.1. The most significant changes for macro authors are:

* #show and #showtooltip now evaluate the macro to determine what spell cooldown/tooltip to display, rather than always showing the first. They also work with inventory and bag slots, and can take conditionals of their own (e.g.: #showtooltip [harm] Starfire; Healing Touch).
* New conditional: [flyable] evaluates true if you are able to use a flying mount.
* Multiple "or" conditions for a single spell/item use may be compressed (see my macros for examples).
* New command "/cancelform" cancels any Druid form.

There are some bugs in 2.1 with respect to macro conditionals and certain /castsequence commands; adding a semicolon at the end usually resolves the issue. This will be fixed in 2.1.2.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#26 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:14 pm

Major 2.3 changes that will affect macro writers:

* /stopcasting is no longer needed to chain actions or overcome latency. You can still use it to intentionally interrupt a spellcast - such as with Counterspell or CC abilities.
* Druids and Priests will now automatically shift out of forms if they attempt to use an action that cannot be done in that form.
* Shifting out of a form is now recognized instantly by the client, just like dismounting. This means that Druids can now instantly shift from one form to another with the default UI.
* Some macro conditionals now have abbreviations - see the patch notes.

Also (actually implemented in 2.2, but I forgot to add them):

* Macro conditionals must now always be in lowercase.
* #show and #showtooltip cannot be used in the same macro - one or the other.

Sample macro updates indicated in yellow text.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#27 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:04 pm

I have some critical updates about 2.3 macro changes that I've been reading about on the UI & Macros forum. See below if you're a heavy macro user.

* First, any /cast in a macro that activates a toggleable ability (such as Druid forms, Paladin auras, Hunter aspects, Stealth, Shadowform, etc.) no longer toggles that ability, but recasts it. This will cause old style macros to fail.
* Second, /castsequence macros now only advance to the next step when the current ability in the sequence is explicitly activated as a consequence of using that specific macro.

The combination of the above two changes was intended (among other things) to allow Hunters' Auto Shot to be used in a castsequence without toggling it, but it is broken. A fix is going into 2.3.2 that will revert these two changes, but (in the case of the /cast toggle), allow a macro writer to use the new functionality if desired.

If this sounds slightly obscure, well it is, but it boils down to the following:
* Macros that used to shift you out of forms or stealth with /cast no longer do so.
* /castsequence macros with abilities like Judgement and Auto Shot will break if the ability in the macro is triggered from a different macro or manually rather than directly from the /castsequence you're using.

I'm going to update my main macros post with the necessary changes to make them work with 2.3. Remember that many of these changes are going to be reverted or fixed in 2.3.2.

(This has nothing to do with the infamous "global cooldown" issue, which the devs have promised to examine in detail.)

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#28 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:53 am

Master Healthstones - use in order of effectiveness (per EB's request):

#showtooltip Master Healthstone
/use item:22105
/use item:22104
/use item:22103

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#29 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:31 am

Bump for new people; made some edits for 2.3.2.

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#30 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:43 pm

I still want that focus macro with options!
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Return to “WoW Addon & Macro Discussion”