Help

Forum for mod & macro requests and discussion

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Brulan

Help

Post#1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:36 am

Because I am terrible at writing macro's that arn't super simplified and sloppy, I ask for help (looking at EB or Lealla).

Can you construct a macro for me to Earth Shield my focus without having to actually click or switch targets onto him/her. I have a general idea of how to do it, but I figure you'd get it right the first time.
No.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#2 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am

Well, assuming that you set your focus beforehand...

Code: Select all

#showtooltip
/cast [target=focus,help,nodead] [] Earth Shield

If you'd rather not use focus and don't mind editing your macro to fix the MT's name each time, you could use this instead (using a name in the target conditional works if the unit is in your party or raid)...

#showtooltip
/cast [target=Hyrion,help,nodead] [] Earth Shield

If you want to preserve your self-casting key option, use this:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:SELFCAST,target=player] [target=focus,help,nodead] [] Earth Shield

Lastly, remember that the macro cannot test for range, so if you have a valid target for the conditional, but it's out of range, you will not be able to cast ES at all. You could force an override by adding a modifier key, so that the macro will use the default spell behavior when you hold Shift or Ctrl.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:SELFCAST,target=player] [target=focus,nomod,help,nodead] [] Earth Shield

Brulan

Post#3 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:05 am

Awesome thank you. First one would work, as its easier to just /Focus on the tank i'll be putting ES on rather editing the macro every single time. Plus I can watch the charges on my focus frame that way.
No.

Heartwood

Post#4 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 am

Lealla could throw a modifier key in there so that you can set your focus with the first usage, and then default to the focus target every other time.

-Heart
At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Brulan

Post#5 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:45 am

Eh, not really necessary I don't think. Especially considering a few exceptions, I'd be putting ES on the same tank all night.
No.

Heartwood

Post#6 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:46 am

#showtooltip Earth Shield
/focus [target=focus,noharm][target=focus,dead]
/clearfocus [target=focus,noharm] [target=focus,dead] [mod:ctrl]
/cast [target=focus,exists] Earth Shield

I believe... But Lealla will know for sure.

-Heart

At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#7 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Heart's macro will set focus automatically, even if you'd rather not in a particular situation. My preferred method is to set focus on Shift, clear it on Ctrl, and then have the spell figure out the appropriate target.

#showtooltip
/focus [mod:shift,help]
/clearfocus [mod:ctrl]
/cast [mod:SELFCAST,target=player][target=focus,help,nodead][] Earth Shield

Using the above macro, you will only ever focus on a friendly target, and will only attempt to cast on a living, friendly target. I omitted the other conditions for clearing focus because you may not want to reset it automatically if the tank is dead or if you're using it for something else; in these cases it'll just target normally.

Oh, and as a last resort, you can also combine this with mouseover casting, as follows:

#showtooltip
/focus [mod:shift,target=mouseover,help][mod:shift,help]
/clearfocus [mod:ctrl]
/cast [mod:SELFCAST,target=player][target=focus,help,nodead][target=mouseover,help,nodead][] Earth Shield

Return to “WoW Addon & Macro Discussion”