Close to home...

Forum for jokes, videos and other random shit. Some content may be NSFW.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 70

Close to home...

Post by Ecnailla » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:37 am

So, I live in a 2 storie home in the suburbs, there is like 30 kids under 12 that live on my street alone. Guen hates them - you can't take a nap ever b/c of the sound of childrens. This is small town texas - not the bad side of a city....

Saterday night about 10pm a 17 year old was shot in the head about 4 blocks away from my front door. I drive by the swimming pool parking lot they found him in every day on my way home from work.

Just... wow.

Doulmagnus

Post by Doulmagnus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:48 am

... just wow indeed.

Drive safe.

Lealla
Class Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Druid
WoW character gender: Female
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army

Post by Lealla » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:53 am

Drugs? Gangs? sigh

Seriously, I'm going to make it abundantly clear to my son, once he's old enough to understand, that if I ever find out that he's involved with either of those things, I'll kill him myself.

Ecnailla

Post by Ecnailla » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Who knows, he may have cut off the wrong person at the wrong time. I don't think drugs/gangs were a part of it, apparently he was an athlete and a good student. Had a job working on cars and was planning on opening his own body shop. I'm not saying its impossible, but didn't come across like that - any gang in little elm is just a wanna be gang anyway.

To an extent, drugs are misunderstood.

Brulan

Post by Brulan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 pm

Ecnailla wrote:To an extent, drugs are misunderstood.
Lol. Inviting the holier than thou people to go off on some giant rant with that quote?
No.

Doulmagnus

Post by Doulmagnus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:12 pm

Sadly, the way things are nowadays, he could have been shot cause someone wanted his sneakers :(

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:13 pm

are those things to be worried about? yep

gangs more so than drugs though.

define drugs, if your kid decided to smoke pot once or twice is that enough for you to go find a tall bridge? what about drinking? oh boy

as far as ecn, thats crazy. I firmly believe that everyone has something that will make them kill someone else, on purpose. granted with some people being mentally impaired (on drugs, stressed out, angry, upset, panic... etc) is part of the equation, but personally i have some ideas that would make me think about it at least. however, if im at my house, and i have a gun (or any weapon handy) and some mofo comes in and busts down my door, im probably going to legitimatly threaten their life to get the hell out of my house. if said mofo is wielding a weapon, im pretty sure ima kill that bitch.

granted, i don't have a gun, but i have an 8inch chef's knife that'll kill just as fast as a bullet, and i've got a maglight that will crush your skull. good thing im not a hunter, otherwise it would suck to be in mele range.

everyone has the potential, and being in texas, almost everyone has easy access to a gun of sorts. its just a big shock when you don't expect it.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Brulan

Post by Brulan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Gnomerman wrote: granted, i don't have a gun, but i have an 8inch chef's knife that'll kill just as fast as a bullet, and i've got a maglight that will crush your skull. good thing im not a hunter, otherwise it would suck to be in mele range.

everyone has the potential, and being in texas, almost everyone has easy access to a gun of sorts. its just a big shock when you don't expect it.
You have issues.
No.

Ecnailla

Post by Ecnailla » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:44 pm

Aye, guen and I both have a pistol within reach of where we sleep. We leave our house unlocked, in fact, I don't think I have a key to my own house.

If I found someone in my house I feel rather comfortable that I could kill them if needed regardless of the situation - even if they have a gun and I don't. If someone is within an arms reach it is pretty easy to take a gun away from them if you know what you are doing. I'd be careful relying on a knife - it's harder than you would think to quickly incapacitate someone with a knife- injure them, sure, but stop them from coming at you? IDK, might just piss them off.

My advice: get a gun. Find one that works for you. Best home defense for a single mother is a pistol grip shotgun - you don't have to have good aim, they just have to be in front of you and it's very simple to use. Just the sound of racking it will send a lot of people running. Some people just hate guns- so get one and load it with blanks. Simply firing a gun in the air will do the trick most of the time.

He had his wallet with some money still on him, so theft was ruled out.

Lealla
Class Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Druid
WoW character gender: Female
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army

Post by Lealla » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Even if the kid was clean, there are plenty of other possible reasons for him to get shot, ranging from "looked at someone crosseyed" (although those are vastly exaggerated by the media) to accident to old-fashioned robbery. I'd also be curious to know what he was doing in a swimming pool parking lot at 10 PM.

I didn't say that I would kill my son. But he doesn't necessarily know that. And I do recognize levels of severity: pot is illegal (now) but not a hanging offense, but getting involved in gangs or doing stuff like coke or meth... not good.

Edit: ninjaed! But the lack of a robbery motive makes it even more likely that the kid was involved in something shady.

Regarding guns in the home, there's a serious information gap in terms of statistics on how effective they are at deterring or preventing robberies. The media loves to jump on cases where someone shot their own kid or vice versa so it's hard to find objective data. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of a loaded weapon where my son could stumble across it.

Kalianna

Post by Kalianna » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 pm

Ecn, I beg you....LOCK THE FUCKING DOORS

EB might be lurking
Please someone, give me the knowledge to only Blink when I should.

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 pm

lealla, you don't need to keep a loaded gun in the home, seeing as the majority of weapons these days are capable of being loaded in less than 3 secconds (its like 1 seccond a shell on a shotgun).

however, leaving a pistol in your unlocked bedside drawer with the loaded clip right next to it is bad if you have a kid lying around.

and yes, knives are a little more tricky that guns. they requires strenght (to some level) and body control. also knowing where to "aim" your strike. but if your within arms length of the person, disabling them, so they are unable to retaliate isn't too much more than a solid thrust or well places slash (depends on how good your cutlery is, mine is close to the high end).

however if someone broke into my house in the middle of the night, the maglight is the first thing i would be able to get my hand on that could potentially kill someone.

the one benefit to the shotgun is that you can usually take control of the situation without actually getting blood all over your carpet.

most people who break into your house arn't as worried about keeping their gun out looking for people to shoot as they are with making off with your stuff in a short amount of time, and not getting caught. however, if you are going to use leathal force to incapacitate the person, you will have a much smaller chance of getting into legal trouble if you end up killing them. you claim self defense, and their is no counter argument. hell in texas, if you even feel threatened (someone threatens to punch you) you have the right to shoot (correct me if im wrong on this, its either texas or florida with this verbage). its not like that everywhere however. so... be careful who you threaten.

lealla, guns are like power tools in your house. do one of 2 things. keep them out of sight and reach, or teach your kid to respect them and use them properly.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Drizztdeurde

Post by Drizztdeurde » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Buy a shotgun.....

The first thing we learn in all of our security/sweeping drills is that one of the most intimidating sounds is the pumping of a shotgun.

I have Mausburg short barrel mounted above the inside door of my closet and my GF has been to the range for when I'm gone. 9 times out of ten all you have to do is rack a round into the chamber and an individual will think twice about whatever they were trying to do.

All three of my kids have shot guns and have a general understanding of weapon safety. If you don't expose them to it, they don't know any better. My 2 oldest kids will be the first one to tell someone at a range or anything if they are doing something un-safe. Knowledge is power, it's not their fault if they don't know any better.

Ecnailla

Post by Ecnailla » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Locks on doors are such a false sence of security. Why is the lock made out of solid metal, but the door jam made of thin wood? Windows... are glass. If someone wanted in my house, they would get in, if I lock my doors, they are just going to break shit to do it. There is little they could steal that would hurt too bad. If Guen or I are home - we both know how to handle it. Knowing how to handle someone in your house is a lot more important than a lock. Someone in your house is like a wounded animal - they are usually more afrade than you are and simply flapping your arms might make them run off (or flashing a gun/ racking a shotgun), but they are still a danger, so be ready to take any needed action.
Last edited by Ecnailla on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disapears

Post by Disapears » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Ecnailla wrote:
My advice: get a gun. Find one that works for you. Best home defense for a single mother is a pistol grip shotgun - you don't have to have good aim, they just have to be in front of you and it's very simple to use. Just the sound of racking it will send a lot of people running. Some people just hate guns- so get one and load it with blanks. Simply firing a gun in the air will do the trick most of the time.

I live in Alberta, Canada. And things up here are alot different. I don't think anyone of my friends has a gun or that any of my friends parents have guns. My dad just recently started locking the doors of the house at night but i could probably walk around my neighborhood and walk into peoples houses. And i wouldn't get shot at for doing it lol.