STAR TREK!!!

Forum for jokes, videos and other random shit. Some content may be NSFW.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Lealla
Class Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Druid
WoW character gender: Female
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army

Post by Lealla » Thu May 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Lol, my point Gnomer is that there is no such thing as a "standard" vampire because the concept has changed constantly over time. The Dracula of modern myth was only invented at the turn of the 20th century, and many of the powers and weaknesses of vampires were made up at the whim of authors and screenwriters.

So claiming that Twilight doesn't feature "real" vampires is kind of silly, as there is no such thing as a single definitive "real" vampire.

Polarside

Post by Polarside » Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Good points Lealla... By the way, did I mention the vampires never sleep as well? Some of them also gain something of a "special ability" when they become their vampire selves. Like Edward can read minds or I should say "hear peoples thoughts", everyones but Bellas... Alice can see the future based off of a definitive decision, but can't see the werewolves... Jasper has this sort of calming aura... But the rest of the Cullens, Emmett, Carlisle, Esme and Rosalie, do not have any such talents.

I think I'm going to go cry in shame now...
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Thu May 07, 2009 3:33 pm

It's Vampire: the Masquerade Doul :P

now that I indulged my spelling police instincts, I will admit that my knowledge and interest in vampires is limited, although I did love Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vtmr) and I guess the movie Blade.

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Thu May 07, 2009 3:35 pm

you cannot tell me that it is not culturally accepted that garlic, sun, stake, silver, are all 100% accepted as things vampires have a weakness to. so i can claim they are not real vampires.

its kinda like words. if it becomes a generally accepted word/definition, then it becomes in the dictionary over time.

fictional (or are they) creatures, including but not limited to, zombies, vampries, and warewolves have all been used in movies thousands of times, and 99.99% of the time they all have the same properties (may i say definition). in my mind, these typically accepted traits belong in the "dictionary" you can think otherwise.

but twighlight vampires are like writing a book about a fish, and then telling me that they breathe air and are alergic to water. i mean come on

on a side note, while looking for a word example, i googled word of the day and got: coruscate. definition:1. To give off or reflect bright beams or flashes of light; to sparkle.
2. To exhibit brilliant, sparkling technique or style.

isn't that such a coincidence, that im ranting about the terriblness of twighlight, and then i get a word of the day of coruscate, which is a very acurate description the creatures (i refuse to call them vampires) in the book.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Thu May 07, 2009 3:38 pm

Doulmagnus wrote: Anyways, isnt this a star trek thread?

yes, but i derailed it, and, since i am the creator of this topic, i feel like i am allowed to take this thread wherever i want it to go, and now its ranting about how the creatures in twighlight are not in fact vampires, but the author is way too lazy to think of a new creature.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Polarside

Post by Polarside » Thu May 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Gnomerman wrote: that they breathe air
They don't have to breathe either... They really only have to breathe in order to talk.

Speaking of Star Trek... Check out this Review.
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Thu May 07, 2009 3:52 pm

that review is epic... zomg

"an elderly solitary black woman following president obama around shedding a tear every time he actually does anything"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oooo pure win.

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 70

Post by Ecnailla » Mon May 11, 2009 1:25 pm

A. I saw star trek and thought it was great.

B. I agree with gnomer on the vampire thing. Sure, some stories use some vampire traits, some use others - few use them all... but there are a few staples that should be stuck to unless you do a very very good job at explaining them away: Won't die of old age, drinks blood, can't be in sunlight.

But saying they can walk around day or night is like saying they don't need to drink blood. I mean, I could make a creature that dosen't drink blood, can go out durring the day, but has pointy teeth and can turn into a bat.... Vampire? I think not. They can call whatever they want a vampire, but we can call BS just as easy.

Blade did a good job of making a "day walker" exception.
Other movies/books have used varius reasoning to explain away Garlic/crosses/counting seeds/coins...

I have not seen or read twilight, but I assume I will enjoy it well enough based on what I have heard, but I do agree its a bullshit move to allow them to roam around free during the daylight.

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Mon May 11, 2009 1:38 pm

star trek was great... yes... it was

so this weekend is angels and demons. im pretty excited. if its done as well as davinci code, it should be worth my friday evening dollars. tom hanks is pretty awesome btw.

update on night of the museum 2. there is a ton of local press on this movie... seeing as the premier is in DC... and its trying to convince me to go (opens the 22nd...). terminator opens the 21st so... that is priority, 2 movies in one week is more than my wallet likes.

Kalianna

Post by Kalianna » Mon May 11, 2009 2:30 pm

WOOT Kirk and Spock........Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point I need to make an observation. I seem to have no problem walking away from raiding, but trying to stay out of these damn forums...now that's tuff my friends. LOL
Please someone, give me the knowledge to only Blink when I should.