Superhero and movie talk (renamed)

Forum for jokes, videos and other random shit. Some content may be NSFW.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Doulmagnus

Post by Doulmagnus » Thu May 07, 2009 2:25 pm

You guys forgot Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew...

Ecnailla
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Paladin
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 70

Post by Ecnailla » Thu May 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Lealla
Class Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Druid
WoW character gender: Female
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army

Post by Lealla » Thu May 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Stask wrote:Monsters by definition are not innocent. That's what makes them monsters.
Frankenstein's Monster, anyone?
Ecnailla wrote:I would have liked robin if he hadn't been gayer than 5 guys blowing 4 guys.
You'll have to explain how that works, Ec. Or, better yet, don't.

Spiderman is supposed to be the Unlucky Everydude who gets superpowers but still can't catch a break no matter what. He is so immensely popular precisely because people can relate to him. Of course, in the hands of multiple writers, he's gone through varying levels of success, failure, angst, and plain old Deus Ex Machinas screwing him over.

Superman is more of an adolescent fantasy - what would I be like if I was totally invicible and able to fight evil? He's also been through a lot of reimagining as authors realize just how hard it is to find convincing threats for him.

Batman is awesome, I won't dispute that. I personally think the hype over him is a bit overdone, though - the endless Batman vs. Superman contests make me want to /facepalm.

In the end, a superhero comic is about what you get out of it. I don't fetishize them or imagine that my preference for, say, Transformers over G.I. Joe means that one is inherently better than the other.

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Thu May 07, 2009 3:41 pm

Lealla wrote:
Stask wrote:
Spiderman is supposed to be the Unlucky Everydude who gets superpowers but still can't catch a break no matter what. He is so immensely popular precisely because people can relate to him.
ummm, how the hell do people relate to a physics major? honestly most people wouldn't be able to figure out how much 6 cans of soup cost if they are 2/3 dollars if the computer in the register didn't tell them when they brought it to the counter.

just a thought, i realize they don't relate to him, but the situations he's in on a regular basis.

i just had to point that out cuz i was thinking about it

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Thu May 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Well the thing that I enjoy about Spiderman and Batman is that to a certain extent they do emphasize agility and brains over brawn. Granted Spiderman is extraordinarily strong for a person of his size, and Batman is supposedly at olympic-caliber fitness and agility, but to defeat a number of foes each has had to outthink their opponents (most recently for Batman the Black Glove in the series R.I.P.). As strong as Batman is, for example, he's outmatched in strength by Killer Croc and Bane (when pumped with Venom).

Spiderman similarly cannot overpower Venom and Carnage due to the symbiotic powers they have, and they can jam his spider-sense.

I agree about the overhyping of Batman vs. Superman contests, but it's a fascinating question on whether strength would prevail in a contest when pitted against brains and agility. It makes one recall David vs. Goliath if biblically minded (behave yourself stask :P ).

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Thu May 07, 2009 3:48 pm

and to not derail this, i don't like/dislike super heros better/worse than other ones. i didn't read comic books, so say what you will, but if i watch a movie/tv show including super heros, i chose which one is better. if you only saw batman and robin the movie, what would you think about batman? total shit right? but thats not the case. the last 2 batman movies were very good.

spider man? the movies were pretty good. transformers was kick ass (or maybe meghan fox just distracted me from anything that wasn't good about it).

superman is a superhero i don't really care for. he's just like achilles, all powerful, and indestructable except for his heel (cryptonite). that is sooo 3500 years ago. not creative and is just meh.

i personally love the xmen series. they are all unique (to a point), and are fairly real. i probably just like their powers, and thats what i was into as a kid. it was xmen and ghost busters and tmnt for me growing up. that was my shit, so thats probalby why i enjoy it so much. i love me some x men. (the movies were slightly above average as far as im concerned).

the one thing that bothers me about xmen, is in the comics wolverine wore that yellow jumpsuit or whatever.... bullshit on that, he'd never wear that shit.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day