This Is Unit One...

Forum for jokes, videos and other random shit. Some content may be NSFW.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Polarside

This Is Unit One...

Post by Polarside » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:31 pm

...of Pimsleurs Spanish One.

So I decided to do the un-American thing and learn Spanish (mainly for work because we get a lot of Spanish peeps). Yeah... So anyone else know another language(s) or learning another?
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Lealla
Class Leader
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Druid
WoW character gender: Female
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: You and Whose Army

Post by Lealla » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:04 pm

I learned Spanish in high school, took five years of it, and still speak it brokenly, since I'm too lazy to practice.

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:26 pm

i took french in middle and high school. i remember a little bit

its next to worthless unless i go to europe, africa, or quebec

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Polarside

Post by Polarside » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:27 pm

I took it a little bit through school as well but remembered very little of it.

One of the things I was worried about was when I was finished with all the lessons, would I still remember it? I would sort of be able to keep in practice because there isn't a day that goes by when a Spanish speaking person comes in here that can barely speak English...if any at all. But I just rip all my lessons off the CD to my computer and then put them on my mp3 player. I take my mp3 player to work and I have time every day that I'm not dealing with customers and I'm pretty much left alone to do what I need to do. So I just replay lessons on my mp3 player at work.

The plan is, even after I've gone through all the lessons (all three levels), to just keep constantly going through them as often as I can to stay up on it.
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Arlan

Post by Arlan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Took 2 years of it in high school and lived in Mexico for 10 weeks. I've forgotten most of it, but it comes back to me when I am drunk. Last time I was in Mexico (for a friends bachelor party) I was pretty trashed but was nearly fluent, at least I thought I was. No one told me otherwise.

Virek
Demon Hunter

Post by Virek » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:53 pm

took 4 years of german in high school. and 2 years of russian in college. and ive been to russia twice.

Stask

Post by Stask » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Lealla wrote:I learned Spanish in high school, took five years of it, and still speak it brokenly, since I'm too lazy to practice.
I learned Spanish at home, spoke it badly, was too stubborn to learn it early as a kid and now speak it brokenly, since I'm too lazy to finish self-teaching myself the language.

I took a year or two of French in middle school and don't remember a word of it besides "Bonjour" and "Ca va bien."
"I am unworthy of any respect. True story." -Brulan

Recorded for posterity. He had no idea how right he was.

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:04 pm

took 1/2 a year of spanish and half a year of french in middle school I believe. Ended up taking an additional 3 years of spanish in HS and another semester in college.

I still remember some spanish and recall a few french phrases as well as a smattering of foreign words/phrases i pick up from reading, tv etc.

Du Doch Nicht (definitely not you! -german)

Heartwood

Post by Heartwood » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Spanish isn't the primary language of the US?
At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Polarside

Post by Polarside » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:14 pm

A few more years and it probably will be...

Lealla
Class Leader

Post by Lealla » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:18 pm

The plurality language, possibly. But there are some rather strong movements in several states to get English adopted as the official language of all government business.

Stask

Post by Stask » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Lealla wrote:The plurality language, possibly. But there are some rather strong movements in several states to get English adopted as the official language of all government business.
Which strikes me as the same sort of feel-good, no-practical-use sort of legislation as Congress passing a resolution to rename French fries to "freedom fries."

(WTB more American politicians who have actually have a clue....)
"I am unworthy of any respect. True story." -Brulan

Recorded for posterity. He had no idea how right he was.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post by Lealla » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:59 pm

The rationale is that allowing government business to be conducted in Spanish, French, etc., only serves to encourage speakers of those languages not to learn English. Consider that lack of English facility is directly linked to lower income and you'll begin to understand.

Of course, the irony here is that the recession is also eating into the budget for teaching English to those same people.

FYI, emergency services (like 911) will still be provided in multiple languages. They're not stupid.

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:41 pm

i personally am in firm belief that all official government business (laws are technically government business....) should be conducted in english. personally, if we want to go to another country and live and work, we have to learn their language. it shoudl be the same here.

it is disadvantageous to not know english in this country. EVERY law is written in english (in all honesty every law should be re written in common english, there is no need for needing to be a lawyer to know and have a basic understanding of the law), and requireing english is technically a way to better prepare people to live and be successful in america.

also, if you require everything to be in english, people will learn it, or won't be able to work, get a liscence (it should be 100% necessary to speak english to get a drivers liscence in this country)

its not obsurd to expect people who want to participate in this country to speak english

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day