Ah, China....still a spoiled brat.

Forum for jokes, videos and other random shit. Some content may be NSFW.

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Palehorse

Ah, China....still a spoiled brat.

Post by Palehorse » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:12 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/19/world ... ina&st=cse

At the Frankfurt Book Fair, China hoped to showcase its literature but ended up stirring up controversy by denying some of its controversial writers visas from attending and complaining about news coverage and the dissenter events that were hosted.

Between this news and an earlier article about China's ambition for a world-class media empire, I'm left thinking that China's unchanged and still....restless. On the one hand they do desire to be part of the global community and churn out innovative and distinctive products rather than be an outsourcing/imitation hub. But they also have the delusion that they can have their cake and eat it too by censoring or otherwise interfering with non-violent dissenters.

I personally think that China's ambitions will not be fully realized until it can learn to deal with criticism/dissent. Great works of literature/art are controversial; unless it's children's work the idea is SUPPOSED to inspire people to be uncomfortable, to think, to do more than just smile and nod.

Similarly if China wants to do more than create media companies which are fixated on celebrities and gossip they will have to publish thought-provoking articles and exposes. But I suspect pigs will fly before China "lightens up".

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:39 pm

i would have to agree with you on the pigs flying part.

as far as china is concerned, people don't have a right to their own opinions, feelings, expressions etc. human life is next to worthless in their culture. that has a lot to do with the serious sensorship.

welcome to eastern culture.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Palehorse

Post by Palehorse » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:25 pm

as far as china is concerned, people don't have a right to their own opinions, feelings, expressions etc. if they so much as criticize the chinese govt. human life is next to worthless in their culture if you criticize them.
fixed. yeah, even though I'm asian....I'm not fond of my culture, meh.

Gnomerman

Post by Gnomerman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:03 pm

no offense meant :) i <3 you all :)

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

zephar

Post by zephar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:48 pm

PALE YOUR ASIAN OMG
I crit perception so hard that I could see why people love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

" I saw a baby [ panda ] sneeze in a video and it telepathicly gave me a bonar. Cosmic Powers "