[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Safe Computing Practices (aka How Not To Get Viruses, Hacks, - Clan YaWA - You and Whose Army

Safe Computing Practices (aka How Not To Get Viruses, Hacks,

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Lealla
Class Leader

Safe Computing Practices (aka How Not To Get Viruses, Hacks,

Post#1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:19 pm

Palehorse

Post#2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:49 pm

bump especially for zeph's benefit ;)

IMajorSmall

Post#3 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:02 am

Excellent post. Should be sticky IMO.

One thing I would emphasize is that you should never even type a password on a public/insecure terminal. This includes terminals at the library, computers you don't need to log in to at work, etc. Even if you do have a password protected login at work, you're putting your trust in the administrators of the network, and nobody's infallible. But if you're on somebody else's network, consider anything you do to be public knowledge. Even clearing internet settings won't save you from keyloggers, packet sniffers, man-in-the-middle attacks, etc.

Also l337 sp34k in a password IS NOT as secure as you may think it is. An in-depth dictionary attack can find the words "CaT", "c@t", "C/\t", "(A7", etc. all just as easily as "cat". Sure, it includes numbers, which, in theory, increases the complexity of your password, but it doesn't really make it much more secure. Consider this--this sham of a language was engendered by script kiddies. Of course black-hat hackers would think to compensate for it.

Palehorse

Post#4 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 am

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:04 am

Ecnailla

Post#6 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:35 am

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#7 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 am

Gnomerman

Post#8 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:12 am

i think you guys are violating the line, never tell anyone your password, granted its hints, i now know how to get ecn's info... go to the "i forgot my password", hint, the first letter in every word of his hint, and some numbers. granted, some numbers and special characters provide more than three possibilites, which is the limit on most online logins before they make you wait some time to log in.

:P

just bustin on you cuz im a lil bored

not a bad plan thought, especially with caps and whatnot

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Ecnailla

Post#9 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:19 am

Ah, thats just my suggestion for others- I use two passwords- one is a random pass that was given me as a temp pass when I was about 17 - it's totally random. The other I don't use anymore, but it was the product key for Cisco CallManager - I use to [use to, is that right? looks odd] load the thing over and over in a QA lab and had the key memorized- btoo vqes ccju iebi, I would use the first 8, the last 8, the first and third set - whatever. Now I keep it simple and just use the random one.

Most companies are stupid - the require you to change your pass so often that the commen person runs out of stuff and starts to put their password on a sticky pad on their monitor. If you don't think this is true, just take a little walk in any reasonably sized office and I bet you will find at least 1 password taped to the monitor.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#10 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:25 am

"Used to" is the correct grammar. And Gnomer, if you can guess any of my passwords based solely on the hint I gave above, I'm going to accuse you of stalking me.

My company's ITS department recently implemented a strong password policy, requiring in most cases that all passwords meet minimum complexity rules. That combined with four to six separate systems (for the average user) and a no-reuse policy means that there are guaranteed to be a ton of calls to the helpdesk around every mandatory reset cycle.

I get away with it by using the same two passwords for everything and rotating the caps and special characters. Also, fortunately, my existing password stash was compatible with the new rules.

Ecnailla

Post#11 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 am

Yea, i use the same password at work and just rotate throught -
~1 ~2 ~3 up through 9, then !1, !2, !3.... I'm up to $6 - It helps me keep track of how many times I have ever had to change my password at work too lol. On my 46th password : )

Brulan

Post#12 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:39 am

No.

Gnomerman

Post#13 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:13 am

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

zephar

Post#14 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:19 am

I crit perception so hard that I could see why people love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

" I saw a baby [ panda ] sneeze in a video and it telepathicly gave me a bonar. Cosmic Powers "

Ecnailla

Post#15 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:33 am

Return to “Technical Discussion”