Ubuntu 8.10

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Dzam

Ubuntu 8.10

Post#1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Anyone here using this as their OS? Been playing around with it and so far I have been able to get all the software I want to work in it. It appears so far that it is MUCH more efficient than vista since XP will not run on my machine for some reason. I switched to Vista 64 bit and that made it a little better but still no picnic.

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:19 pm

go go windows 7
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Dzam

Post#3 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Are you using that one? Is it better than Vista? I haven't checked out the Beta yet.

ryeku

Post#4 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Surely win7 is better than vista, but I found this Windows Xp pro to be worth picking up (Business bought for multi comp unlimited). If all else fails, here the beta (linked from curse)...
Thievery is not what other's make of it, but what you get from it.
-Ryeku

IMajorSmall

Post#5 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:34 am

Ubuntu has probably the best community of all the distros out there. I use Gentoo myself, but Ubuntu would most likely be my second choice.

Elvenbane
Leader

Post#6 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:48 am

Nah I'm not running Windows 7. However I've heard from power users that it's amazing.
It's the thought that counts, not how many people die because of it.
Elvenbane#1520

Dzam

Post#7 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:34 am

Only problem I see is WoW will work in Ubuntu but the mouse is very slugish. I can get about 40 FPS on my laptop running WoW under Wine but the mouse lags. From what I read it is because Blizzard doesn't have Hardware Acceleration for the mouse when using OpenGL instead of DirectX. Are you playing WoW in Gentoo with Wine? Do you have mouse issues?

IMajorSmall

Post#8 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:41 pm

I am. The mouse doesn't draw very smoothly at all, but I wouldn't call it sluggish--it's always where I put it when I put it. Try checking "reduce input lag" in the video options if you haven't--it helps a little.

This is what I'm running WoW on:

wine-1.1.10
Linux MCP 2.6.27-gentoo-r7-Custom #1 Thu Jan 1 10:22:30 EST 2009 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 GT] (rev a2)

I have some pretty low FPS, but that's because I'm running on outdated hardware next to several servers.

One thing I strongly suggest: don't run WoW in KDE or Gnome or any other full-featured desktop. For a long time I ran it in it's own dedicated X session, but that made it impossible to tab between vent and WoW, so I just recently installed fluxbox, and now run it in an instance of that. The hit to FPS is neglible and now I can tab to vent without a problem.

Here is the script I use to launch WoW:

Code: Select all

john@MCP ~ $ cat ./launch-wow.sh
#!/bin/sh

export WOW_PATH=~/".wine/drive_c/Program Files/" # Installation path

X :3 -ac -terminate &   # Launch on a new X session on display 3
cd "${WOW_PATH}"        # Goto WoW dir
sleep 2
DISPLAY=:3 xset m 5 4 &
DISPLAY=:3 fluxbox -log ~/.fluxbox/log &
DISPLAY=:3 WINEDEBUG=-all wine "Ventrilo/Ventrilo.exe" & # Launch Ventrilo
DISPLAY=:3 WINEDEBUG=-all wine "World of Warcraft/Launcher.exe" -OpenGL