Gnomers computer hardware thread

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Gnomerman

Gnomers computer hardware thread

Post#1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:36 pm

so i was bored today, and was looking at computer parts, thus starting this thread.

I decided im going to give you my knowledgeable opinions on todays computer hardware (buying, building, value, performance, etc). im not going to go too technical, thats what other websites are for, but i am going to talk about how it effects wow (what we all spend the majority of our free time doing). as of right now my opinions are, it is 100% possible to build a computer for 800 bucks that will max wow's settings, even with the number of addons some people (elven/lealla) run, at 60fps on anything short of a 2560x1600 resolution monitor. it will do so with decent latency, so long as your connection isn't garbage.

now that im on the subject, here is how you would budget said system (or something like it)

cpu (intel or amd) $200

motherboard 150

psu(DONT skimp) and case 150

video card $200

memory+hdd $100

yes, im missing an input drive (add 25 bucks, and take it out of somewhere else, say motherboard)

next post will be an example that fits into this (i'll come up with an amd and intel build)

i think that $800 is a reasonable amount to spend on a computer. granted this comes with no software, no warranty and you have to build it yourself.
this is without a monitor. i will do more at different dollar amounts/including different goodies

technically you have to add an os (you could run ubuntoo and put wine on it and run wow with it (talk to dzam)) windows is like adding 100 or so bucks.

i should get a parts list down by the end of the day, i like suggestions, and what dollar amount do you think is an affordable amount by an average person (you all are average people).

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Including the entirety of the system: hardware, monitor, OS, software, etc., $1500 is a good target that most people wouldn't be freaked out over. As for me, my system is old enough that upgrading is no longer realistically a possibility, although I could take along some pieces like the monitor.

Components (prices from Pricewatch.com):
  • CPU: $293 (Core i7 920) It's a given that Intel is likely to drop the cost of the Core i7 processors if Phenom II is a serious competitor, bringing the performance parts down to a competitive price point. However, let's assume something in the Core i7 920 range.
  • MB: $282 (Intel x58) The x58 mobos are insanely expensive right now.
  • Memory: $180 (3GB DDR3-1600) Hard to find a consistent price on these right now.
  • Case+PSU: $150 This seems like an average price point.
  • Video: $212 (Radeon 4870) Or a GeForce GTX 260 for $265.
  • HDD: $100 (1 TB) The new Seagate 1.5TB HDD is $220 or so.
  • Optical: $122 (Blu-ray RW) Might as well, it'll be around for a while.
  • Sound: $50 (X-Fi) Optional.
  • Mouse, KB, peripherals: $100

Total: $1,589 before monitor.

Ecnailla

Post#3 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:17 pm

I had a monitor, but Guen plays wow quite nicely on a box that set me back $330-$350 that gnomer helped build.

Brulan

Post#4 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:18 pm

$1600 for a WoW box? Fuck that.

What type of FPS does Guen get in raids Ek? Can you find the thread that you guys built that crap in?
No.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Go with a Core 2 Duo, q965 MB, DDR2-800, GeForce 9800GTX, no sound card, and your existing KB/mouse, and you hit just under $1000.

Ecnailla

Post#6 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Gnomerman

Post#7 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm

lealla, that is about the right on the money for a $1500 build. however, 150 for psu and case can result in skimping. in my experience, the power supply is the single most important part of a computer. it directly affects how well your pc performs, and how much you spend operating it. im not saying you need a $300 1200W psu, that is only necessary for the mightiest of systems.

modular power supplies (costlier) allow you to only put the cables in yoru computer that you need.
this is nice in a gaming rig, because mostly all you have is essentials, (not 5 hdd's and 3 optical drives), so you don't need all those molex cables to begin with.

i would reccomend at least an 80+ certified power supply. if your computer parts uses 400w (DC) of power (that a more high power system than most people think), and 85% psu uses 471 (AC) watts from the wall. a 70% (most cheap power supplies) will use 571 W (AC) from the wall. if you pay your electric bill, you will immediatly see those savings. that 100w of power you save will light your house (if you use the green 15w lightbulbs). i like using less power, and so does my wallet.

a nice case makes your build experience. a crappy case can/will cut you up. it will also provide headaches on what to do with the wires. nicer cases have cable hooks to help rout your cables to provide clean airflow.

those are my 2 cents.

i wouldn't even think of buying an icore7 build for under 2000 right now. its not worth it at the 1500 price point, at least imo. i enjoy quality parts, and i would rather go for a phenom II at 2.8 ghz for 190 and an amd mobo for 130, and buy a 150 dollar case and 150 dollar power supply and grab 4 gigs of ddr2 and push it to 1200. but its a $300 dollar premium to go for an icore, and at $1500, thats a 20% premium, for a less than 5% increase, most of which you cannot see with a single graphics card set up.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Gnomerman

Post#8 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Brulan wrote:What type of FPS does Guen get in raids Ek? Can you find the thread that you guys built that crap in?

if anyone has a dollar amount, i will price out computer parts, it'll take me about a day ish so i reccomend good stuff (i hate crappy stuff).

also, if you want a $350 what is in guens box probably is out of date, and for the same dollars you can get better.

@ lealla, the phenom II performs =or better than core2quad clock for clock. if i had an am2 + motherboard (most am2 motherboards are with a bios update) i would bought one by now. its not fair to compare it to icore7 until an appropriate ddr3 complient platform is out. it won't beat icore, but it is respectable, probably better (much more power efficient) than core2.

phenomII +amd chipset > core2quad/duo intel or nvidia chipset.

only problem is if you want to run sli with an amd chip, but if you can afford to run sli, then you can afford icore7

Ecnailla

Post#9 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Either way, I'll check her fps next raid.

Brulan

Post#10 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Wtb something for $500. I already have someone who can put it together for me *coughGNOMERcough*.

The $500 does not include purchasing an OS. I dont need a monitor/keyboard/mouse. The cheaper the better.

*edit* Ideally I just want something that will run at more than 12 FPS in raids and will perferably let my graphics look sharper than they do now. I mean hell I max out at like 25-30 FPS sitting around in the middle of nowhere.
Last edited by Brulan on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#11 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm

I couldn't find the Phenom II on Pricewatch. Newegg lists the Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz for $195, and an Asus M3A78-T mobo for $139. It takes DDR2-1066, 4GB of which runs about $65.

Adding this combo to my spec above and bumping the case/PSU allowance to $200 hits around $1250 total, including peripherals. Dump the sound, KB/mouse, and go with a cheaper optical drive and you'll hit $1050, approx.

Dump the case/PSU/OS/BD and you're at $800. It's hard to go cheaper without skimping on something.
Last edited by Lealla on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ecnailla

Post#12 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:55 pm

Ever play with legos? Know how to ground yourself? You can build it once you have the parts : )

Brulan

Post#13 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Gnomer is my personal PC Tech bitch. It's true.
No.

Gnomerman

Post#14 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:25 pm

its true.. in all honesty, if i had the funds, i would build a new rig every 2 months (i would probably keep one for a yeaar or 2 and give away/sell the other builds for fun)

500 bucks incoming

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#15 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Yeah, I'd really like to see if you can build a competitive system for $500 without major sacrifices.

Return to “Technical Discussion”