Gnomers computer hardware thread

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Arlan

Post#31 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Here's a review from Tom's Hardware of the new Phenom II:

Conclusion: Phenom II Is A Great Leap Forward

Zoom

Compared to AMD’s first quad-core processor, the Phenom, its Phenom II successor offers great improvements, particularly in the area of energy consumption. With all due respect to Intel and the performance milestones it has achieved, the Phenom II offers a better energy consumption profile than either the Core i7 or Core 2 Quad platforms.

In the overall competition, where the first line of attack appears in the price segment between $250 and $400, the AMD Phenom II processors place smack in between the already fading Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, and the new Core i7 920 CPUs. Above all, a complete Core i7 system costs more than a Phenom II because that Intel configuration requires a high-end motherboard and triple-channel DDR3 memory.

A comparison between the current top-of-the-line AMD Phenom II X4 940 and the Intel Core i7 shows the Intel processor coming out about 22% faster. On the other hand, in comparison with the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, the same Phenom II CPU finishes about 10% ahead.

When it comes to system efficiency and energy consumption, if you put a Phenom II X4 940 system head-to-head against a Core 2 Quad Q6600, an AMD system delivers measurably better “performance per watt” figures.

The higher performance available from a Core i7 comes at a higher purchase cost, followed by higher energy consumption costs over a system’s lifetime.

As a result of its exceptional energy efficiency advances and an affordable price/performance ratio, AMD Phenom II X4 deserves our seldom-granted Recommended Buy award.

Full review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-940,2114.html

Gnomerman

Post#32 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:44 pm

so
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150339

is the best news i've had all day

yes... thats right, a reputable company (xfx... i'd put them as number 2 on my favorite graphics card makers... EVGA is by far number 1) with a double lifetime warranty (meaning you and the person you may sell it to) so long as you don't modify the pcb... yes, that means changing the cooler DOES not void your warranty.

EVGA and xfx are the only 2 companies i know of that let you change the cooler and still hold a warranty on their products

granted... there is a price premium... about 40 bucks, for this kind of service.

a sapphire brand card has a 2 year warranty, that you have to deal with through the retailer (or etailer), while xfx has very good customer service, and they take care of you.

now... if EVGA would make amd/ati graphics cards.... i would never ever have to look at annother company for gpu's ever again.

ps. if you've ever dealth with crappy customer service, you'll realize that an extra 30 bucks on a 200+ dollar item is worht ever penny for good customer service, especially a company that will ship you a new graphics card before you send your old one back (as xfx does, almost nobody else does this).

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Return to “Technical Discussion”