Youtube Music

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

zephar

Youtube Music

Post#1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:49 pm

A friend was telling me about a tool you can use to rip music off youtube videos. I know of tools that you can download youtube videos to your computer but is there one that you can use to take just the music off it?
I crit perception so hard that I could see why people love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

" I saw a baby [ panda ] sneeze in a video and it telepathicly gave me a bonar. Cosmic Powers "

IMajorSmall

Post#2 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:35 pm

There are many ways, but I use one of these two:

The quick and dirty way:

Code: Select all

mplayer -dumpaudio source.flv -dumpfile destination.mp3

A slightly slower, but sometimes better way:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i source.flv -ab 128 -ar 44100 destination.mp3

Of course these require you have either mplayer or ffmpeg, both of which were designed under Linux, but also run on Mac and Windows.

zephar

Post#3 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:48 am

Soooo How exactly do these work? Me no codemonkey
I crit perception so hard that I could see why people love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

" I saw a baby [ panda ] sneeze in a video and it telepathicly gave me a bonar. Cosmic Powers "

IMajorSmall

Post#4 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:50 am

Exactly as written. I don't think there are GUI equivalents of these, so you'll need to do them from a shell (or command prompt).

You could also try throwing them directly into the "run" box in windows, but I don't usually do that. The way I'd try it on windows is to bring up a command prompt (toss "cmd" into the run dialogue), and type what I have above into that. Again, you'll need to install one of those two to make it work.

Return to “Technical Discussion”