Choosing a mobo...

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

ryeku

Choosing a mobo...

Post#1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:24 pm

So after the last 2 mobos i got, both of them where duds. Called newegg and asked about replacing mobo with different one if i payed the difference, and they agreed. the one at the bottom here is the dud i got 2x.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131296

Looking for a little help with finding a good one that isnt dud on arival or after 3 days of somewhat light use. Was considering
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128358
but then realized my ram wouldnt work with it just a little while ago.

And im outa ideas at this point so i ask: wanna find me one under $200?

spec is:
OCZ 4(2gx2) pc 6400 fatality
LGA 775 E8400 Intel core 2 duo fsb1333 @ 3.0ghz
needs to be duel eithernet supported
crossfire compadible

That is all :-)

Ryeku
Thievery is not what other's make of it, but what you get from it.
-Ryeku

Palehorse

Post#2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Asus is a good manufacturer.

2-3 years ago I used the Asus P5B, although apparently it's no longer in stock atm at least with Newegg.

*edit* try this anandtech guide

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3497

it recommends a gigabyte $185 mobo for one of the setups.

Gnomerman

Post#3 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 am

im surprised you got 2 bad ones in a row tbh

and that gigabyte board is the best p45 board available imo. get different ram, if your within 30 days you can return in for a arefund or different ram. newegg will probably let you change your ram. you should have bought the crucial balistic, imo the best ram you can get your hands on in terms of value, and oc ability and compatibility

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820148212
is the memory.

for a p45 board, this is the one time i'd suggest gigabyte over asus.

also are you remembering to plug in the 4 pin cpu power plug? (its a lot more common than you'd think)

also... what power supply are you using, the asus boards don't always get along with certian psu's

need more info about your system.

but trade your ram in and get the gigabyte board... it'll work nice :)

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

IMajorSmall

Post#4 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:04 pm

I'd agree with gnomer... two duds in a row, and especially from ASUS, sends up some red flags in my mind.

ryeku

Post#5 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:31 pm

Im going to see what our local comp store has, usually they have the same stuff from newegg, but a little more costly.
For the psu, im using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139005
as for the ram, ill see what i can do, and yea, it's been plugging it in each time (ill usually check to make sure everything is connected right if it never starts up).

And another question: Meh dad basicly killed my laptop with a virus e-mail and it ended up being embedded in my operating programs and interwebs browsers. Im able to move data and stuff around (which im basicly doing at this point) Slowly corruting my files. I cant seem to kill it even in safe mode. Think I should override my drive 3 times or 7 times before i reinstall or just quick format it and be happy? ( I ve noticed it works better if overrided more than once)

little extreme?

-Ryeku

IMajorSmall

Post#6 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:18 pm

Are you using a virus scanner? when you say "embedded in my operating programs and interwebs browsers", along with "I cant seem to kill it even in safe mode" says boot sector virus to me, in which case if your virus scanner can't kill it, I'd reformat and reinstall. Or, if you have a backup (like you should ;)), you can try going back to an older state and hope you don't have the virus laying dormant.

And if by "override" you mean "overwrite", it really shouldn't have any added effect over a deep format AFAIK. The only thing overwriting helps with is hiding old data from electron microscopes and other physical data mining techniques. The reason I wouldn't suggest overwriting unnecessarily is because it takes time and thrashes your disk, shortening it's lifespan. Neither are huge, but if you have no reason to do so, why do it?

Also, make sure it's actually a virus first, and not a dying drive. Probably not likely, but it's the type of thing lots of people would miss.

ryeku

Post#7 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:29 pm

The backup I had was also affected (which makes me sad and rather angry at the same time). Apparently it wont read the backup so ill just format n be done with it (thank almight for a good, long book on werewolves, lol). anyhow, ty for the help and ill have a new mobo by monday.

Ryeku

-Ryeku

Return to “Technical Discussion”