[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
microsoft is teh gay - Clan YaWA - You and Whose Army

microsoft is teh gay

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Gnomerman

microsoft is teh gay

Post#1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:51 am

so yeah.

building this rig,

i used a corporate version of win xp, with a legit (so i thought) cd key belonging to an entity that i was/am affiliated with.

i thought the cdkey was legit, becuse i use that cdkey on 2 of my other machines, and they both, to this day, pass the windows genuine checker thing.

same cdkey on this machine, no dice.

so ms is teh gay, i already knew this, but whataever.

so i need some suggestinos on what to do.
i'd prefer to not spend money, but im guessing it'll have to happen.

i'd prefer it to be a legal manner.

so, buy a legit copy of win xp (and then use the happy ms tool to change the cdkey)

buy an upgrade to vista (eww)

dnld the win 7 beta and use that (again, in 2 months i won't be the primary user of this pc so thats tricky, not to mention relying on beta software is sketch)

linux? yeah right, this isn't my pc

any other thoughts?

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:01 am

You have to be careful using a corporate license on a personal computer. At least that's my experience. There may be a per-key install limit. See if your company can get you wholesale price on an OEM license.

Gnomerman

Post#3 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:13 am

well if im going to do that then i can get an oem vista home premium 64 bit for 100 bucks.

which is what im leaning towards. the gay thing about ms is that they have the nerve to say you can pay us 150 bucks and we'll give you a legit key, and you can use this tool to change your cdkey

for xp, honestly 150 bucks?

i would pay 50 bucks, but 150 is obsurd

the only reason im concerned (just a little) is cuz its running service pack 2, and 3 seems to be fairly epic. but, alas, we'll see what the owner of this pc wants (my lil bro).

it also may be an issue of their xp cdkey expiring for new installs (if that exists).

and btw the download and install wrath onto a bare machine takes forever... i almost wish i had the normal wow cd's... :(

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#4 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:31 am

Connect network cable to router. Share WoW drive. Copy WoW folder. Profit.

Gnomerman

Post#5 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am

why didn't i think of that?

and it'll test my network bandwidth :)

Gnomerman

Post#6 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 am

ummm yeah, elaboratae on this sharing thing.. i r noob when it comes to aanything more than plug into router, router works, yay!

i think i've figured it out... but im not sure

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#7 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 am

Note: these instructions are for Windows XP. I don't know if Vista handles sharing differently, but it's likely you'll need to be logged in with admin rights as a minimum.

Step 1: Connect both computers to router.
Step 2: Go to computer with stuff you want to copy.
Step 3: Open Network Connections (may be under Settings), find your LAN connection (usually says "Local Area Connection"), right-click, Properties.
Step 4: Under "This connection uses the following items:", make sure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is listed and checked. If not, add it under Install->Services->Microsoft.
Step 5: Open My Computer, find the folder you want to share.
Step 6: Right-click on the folder, click Sharing and Security...
Step 7: Check "Share this folder on the network" and give it an easy to use name. Do not check "Allow network users to change my files".
Step 8: Make sure your firewall is configured to allow file and printer sharing - if you're using Windows Firewall, there will be an indication of the status on that dialog. If you're using a different firewall, check its settings.
Step 9: Click OK. If you haven't set up sharing before, Windows may need to think for a while.
Step 10: Go to the computer you want to copy files to.
Step 11: Make sure file and printer sharing is enabled, as above.
Step 12: Open My Computer, go to My Network Places (may be under Desktop), Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, then the workgroup or domain your first computer is in, then the computer name itself.
Step 13: If things are set up properly, the folder you shared will be visible under that computer's name. Copy the folder itself or files from that folder like you would any other file/folder.
Step 14: If you can't see the share, try restarting both computers. If you still can't see it, you may need to configure the network names to be on the same workgroup. This is done from My Computer->Properties->Computer Name. Both machines should have the same workgroup name and should also have distinct computer names.
Step 15: If you still can't see the other computer on the network, try typing its share name manually. For example, if it's named "gnomer01", open My Computer, go to the Address bar, and type "\\gnomer01". You should see the machine. If you don't, you'll need further troubleshooting.

Gig

Post#8 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

Post#9 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:14 pm

Gnomerman

Post#10 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:44 pm

ryeku

Post#11 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Vista seems easier to share if ur only accessing the files you already have shared from xp. copy, paste, wait, ding! Files are done.
Thievery is not what other's make of it, but what you get from it.
-Ryeku

IMajorSmall

Re: microsoft is teh gay

Post#12 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Gnomerman

Post#13 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:14 am

IMajorSmall

Post#14 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:32 am

Return to “Technical Discussion”