F U apple

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Gnomerman

F U apple

Post#1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:42 pm

http://computerworld.com/action/article ... rc=hm_list

cliff notes version

pystar has been sued by apple (8 months or so ago) cuz they were making fake macs with osx (an older version) and selling them. apple attempts to sue them into oblivion.

pystar countersues with some crap. judge says no, you can't do that. however, that same judge allowed them to change their counter suit, which, in what he allowed, gives pystar a semi legitimate chance to change the way you get your osx.

what they are saying, is the eula in osx, is that you can only run it on genuine apple mac hardware, is in of copyright law and sowftware liscencing law.

personally, i think people forget that apple is a HARDWARE company, not a software company. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AS MICROSOFT. they are the same as dell, just with their own, linux based, os instead of windows. in fact, one of their MAIN selling points is it can run windows.

the only reason that is written in their eula is so people have to buy a mac computer. if osx could run on any computer, and was priced competitivly with vista, i would probably buy it. I will NEVER buy a mac computer.

If apple was smart, they continue as they are, and sell the usb flash drive that allows the software to run (they are in existance in the hacked world). they could sell the os and the usb dongle for 200 bucks (about vistas cost). this would let them say, here, you can buy our hardware, which is good, but overpriced, or you can build your own, and pay 200 bucks to us to use our software. the only problem they'd have is hardware compatibility, but honestly, if ms can do it, apple should too. im sorry, but i want a better graphics card than an 8800gt, especially in a $2500 computer. ( you can buy one of those, labled as a 9800gt, for 120 bucks.)

ok, i built a rig

phenom 2 quadcore at 2.8 ghz
1gig 4870
4 gigs ram
640gig hdd
high quality crossfirex ready mobo
(the rest doesn't effect performance much)

total cost shipped is 857, add windows and we are talking 1000 bucks

apple computer with similar specs
intel xeon (core2quad, not icore) 2.8 ghz
4 gigs ram
500gig hdd
quality (im assuming) crossfirex ready motherboard
8800gt 512

$2999 +tax +shipping.

you arn't paying for the software. that is why they don't want a pc user to be able to build and buy. 200 bucks for their software, is not, even close, to the $2000 difference.

arguements

nicer case +100 bucks
better cooling +100 bucks (i could water cool or TEC)
amd phenom II is better clock for clock than intel core2quads (im too lazy to prove it, its true though).
memory, ummm yeah.... no
hdd, umm yeah... no
better power supply... um no
more efficient... um no
1 year warranty.... ummm i'll give them 200 bucks for this, so long as they cross ship (if your buying a 3000+ dollar alienware or falcon nw they send a guy to your house. your pc NEVER leaves your house once it gets there.)

so.. we are up to 1400 bucks. thats still 1600 bucks your paying in apple tax. i can't oc that apple, but i could squeeze the cpu to 3.2 or 3.4 ghz. i could oc the ram from ddr2800 to 1066 without flinching. and i could oc the video card (completely unnecessary).

so yeah, apple wants their 1600 bucks per computer.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Gnomerman

Post#2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:57 pm

as a note, 3 grand at falcon NW, THE premier boutique builder, you get

icore7 920 at 2.66 (its faster than a phenomII @ 3.2)
6 gigs of ddr3 1066 ram
a nvidia gtx285 (stomps a 4870)
a 1 tb hd, a fast one at that
vista 64bit

3 year warranty
1 year of overnight repairs.(you have a problem, overnight courier picks up your machine, they fix it, and overnight it back to you)

um yeah, apple is pwnd their... by far

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#3 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:07 pm

Gnomer, it's "Core i7". I don't know how you got it mixed up in your head, but it's annoying.

WTB that Falcon system.

Gnomerman

Post#4 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:18 pm

if your inclined to build your own system, that can be built for about 1600. win vista home premium 64 bit adds ~200. add a monitor (24") and a keyboard mouse and your at 2000 wihtout the warranty (your parts will have a warranty, you just have to be able to diagnose and resolve).

and you win, i need to stop with the icore7

i think early pre release codenames may have been called core or icore so its stuck in my head

it is core i7. i have no idea why 7 though.

but the 300 dollar core i7 cpu is more cpu than you'll need for the next 2-3 years for 99% of computer users.

Ecnailla

Post#5 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:21 pm

WTB a nintendo made computer.

Microsoft = pc/360
Both are top end powerful, cost quite a bit and for the most part the random person is happy with it.

Apple/sony Mac/PStation
Cost more. A lot more. Possibly perform better, but not much and over the head of a lot of normal people. Usually not worth the cost. Usually has a hardcore fanboy type of following.

Nintendo Cube/wii
Costs less... not quite as powerful. Thinks outside of the box and develops things with the customer in mind. More user friendly. WTB a nintendo pc or a company on par with nintendos way of thinking. Linux is close on the "made for the user, by the user" and cost angle, but they are not easy to use for a run of the mill user.

Gnomerman

Post#6 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Ecnailla wrote:

Apple/sony Mac/PStation
Cost more. A lot more. Possibly perform better, but not much and over the head of a lot of normal people. Usually not worth the cost. Usually has a hardcore fanboy type of following.

Nintendo Cube/wii
Costs less... not quite as powerful. Thinks outside of the box and develops things with the customer in mind. More user friendly. WTB a nintendo pc or a company on par with nintendos way of thinking. Linux is close on the "made for the user, by the user" and cost angle, but they are not easy to use for a run of the mill user.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. comparing the play station to an apple. um no. i see apple with sony. i can see that. both companies want you to buy their hardware and make it a pain in the ass to work with hardware from a different company. however. the ps3 costs 150 bucks more, (throw in the blue ray.... the cost is almost equal) but it performs SIGINFICANTLY better than an xbox or wii.

for 60% more money, your getting 3x the performance of an xbox360. now, am i pulling this number out of my ass? no. im not. the ps3 could outdo the xbox without its nvidia graphics processor. the ibm cell could do just fine. the ps3 is a revolutionary gaming console, that will have annother 5-7 years before it needs replacing. where as the xbox will need a refresh in 2, and well, the wii could use one at any time. these comments are from a technology standpoint.

from a money standpoint, i do see the difference. do i own a wii or xbox? no, my roomates in college did, so it was like owning one. 3 rrod's within the first 4 months with his xbox. the wii is good for 3 or 4 games. mario kart on the gamecube is better than teh wii imo. is the wii fun? yes, it is. does it look good? no. is it cheap? not really. 250 (or is it 199) is reasonable. and half of the fun the wii is capable of comes with the wii. now, i've never played every game on the wii. neither on the xbox or ps3.

xbox has halo going for it. gears of war is overrated in every shape way and form. playstation has some cool games going for it. little big planet is a hoot, and metal gear solid makes me a happy camper, and its gorgeous. and it does 1080p. oh, btw, it has a 1080p upscailer built in, along with bluray, 2 things which i do use. There are only 2 Bluray 1.3 complient devices. one is the ps3. the other is a panasonic blu ray player that costs 399.99.

i just got mad cuz you compared teh ps3 to a mac, which is a naieve assumption. i don't discredit your arguement ec, and i agree that a company should do it. but linux is pretty easy to use, if you have any coding skill. and companies do ship computers with ubuntu on them. dell being one of them.

what we need is a low cost computer (without being cheap... which means about 500 bucks) that runs an easy to use form of linux, with open office and the like, AND has WINE. i think WINE itself may cost somethings, someone may own the rights, maybe not, someone correct me. WINE allows it to run ANY windows application.

however, the only problem is Direct X. its a standard owned by MS, and guess what, only works on windows. guess what? 99% of games don't run in open GL, which is the open source alternative to direct X. now, if a company wants to write code for open GL, and market this sytem, they stand to win. i don't see why blizzard couldn't be this company. sell it as a wow box for 400 bucks, its designed entirely to play wow. does this, along with surf the web, do simple office tasks, etc.

Ecnailla

Post#7 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:58 pm

yea, no coding at all makes linux a wasted cd. It took me a while to learn that lesson.

PS3 is a POS. I know 360's red circle of death shit and I'm not saying they are good, but all sony systems are of a lower grade quality - they break, pure and simple. Finding a working ps2 is like finding a NES that you didn't ever have to blow in game to make it work.

It out performs 360? Really? /jack off motion
Who really gives a flip? Games look badass, and imo i'll take a well designed game on the original PS over a graphic eye candy game on PS3. That's why I like nintendo... I can play SSB:M or Brawl and I don't give a flip about the graphics. Honestly, If I want good graphics, i'm going to go PC anyway. I think of systems like this- you need someone to run from point A to point B in 30 seconds. You have someone who can do it in 27 seconds, 20 seconds and 15 seconds. I don't want to pay $700 for the 15 second guy when I can pay $199 for the 27 second guy. IDK, imo wii mote>the improved graphics, they did get caught up in the graphical arms race, they went outside of the box and developed something that was more fun for the avg person. Sony just jacked up the cost to win the race. And for what? Better shading? /yawn

360 is middle of the road imo, pros and cons of both apply.

mac and ps3 are over priced and the "improved performance" is wasted on the average user. And PS3's are POS that won't work in 2 years. Search youtube for "Sony's new POS", lol.

Gnomerman

Post#8 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:06 am

ec... i have 3 working ps2's, in fact i've only heard of one, out of dozens, that has broken. my ps1 still works flawlessly. am i a fanboy, well obviously if i've owned all 3. there is a noticable difference, and there will be for a while. the wii mote is fun, but maybe i'm a traditional gamer.

regardless, people will buy what they want.

personally, the main reason i went ps3 was blue ray and upscailing since i owned neither prior. my ps3 is a wonderful media player, that connects to my media folders on my home network (which i managed to set up thanks to the help i got with lealla), and it plays every file format i have on my pc. was it a good use of 400 bucks? idk. i konw you have netflix on your xbox. its nice and shiney. i have hulu on my ps3 :). and i've read netflix will work on a ps3, it just takes user effort, which is understandably a con.

buy what you want. idk. btw, not having to buy a wireless adapeter was nice.

IMajorSmall

Post#9 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Gnomerman wrote:i think WINE itself may cost somethings, someone may own the rights, maybe not, someone correct me. WINE allows it to run ANY windows application.

I think you may be thinking of Cedega. WINE is open source and freely available under the GNU GPL. It doesn't run every windows app, but it runs most. The ones it still chokes on are the ones that use evil back-handed windows-only methods that are probably designed specifically for that purpose (to break WINE).

Cedega is a proprietary WINE fork that people used to say worked better for games especially than WINE did, but I think that's changed over the years. When Cedega abandoned WINE's open source-ness, they also abandoned the open culture and community that continued to make WINE better, so naturally WINE eventually overcame Cedega.

Disapears

Post#10 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Gnomerman wrote:ec... i have 3 working ps2's, in fact i've only heard of one, out of dozens, that has broken.

My first ps2 broke within a month, they sent another one and it broke within a few months. Then they finally sent one that hasn't broke yet. I'm an Xbox360 fan. I've played a wii didn't really like it. Xbox Ftw

Return to “Technical Discussion”