Can "See" the internet but not get there.

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Sionnaine

Can "See" the internet but not get there.

Post#1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am

Alright so earlier this morning before class I tried to go online and get some notes from WebCT and I couldn't get to the internet. Running slightly behind schedule I didn't fiddle with it and I just went to the Library and did them there. However when I got back from classes and tried to connect I managed after about 30 minutes of trying for about 2 minutes (sumatively over 3 attempts) with my last one getting me 2100ms latency and eventually not being able to log on to the game and hence I couldn't raid.

Normally when I get this problem Vista says that I have multiple networks, including a connection to the internet. I normally disable my network adapter and then enable it and it usually will fix the problem but not tonight.

**** SIDEBAR ****

I really am not in the mood to hear people tell me Vista is crap, blah blah blah. I a) Can't Afford a New OS b) do not have the time right now during the middle of my semester to learn a new OS. So please spare me the posts about that and actually try and help me.
- Sionnaine -

Kendalh
Demon Hunter

Post#2 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:15 am

Just a bit more info please. How do you connect to your network: wireless, wired, private residence, dorm room? Are you connected straight to your modem or to a router, if this is a private residence?

Paxstris

Post#3 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:20 am

OMG, Sionnaine, do you live in res???

When I was at UVic and lived in res, there were times when the university's internet was SUPER laggy. If you do live on campus, there's really nothing you can do about it until those assholes who are downloading teh pr0n finish their download and aren't congesting the university's pipe anymore.

If you DON'T live in res, then try resetting your modem/router, and usually the problem will go away. What I'm finding in here Vancouver weather is when it's rainy/snowy my interwebz starts getting slow. Dunno why, but I just live with it.

Sionnaine

Post#4 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:33 am

I'm on a wired connection in a dorm like apartment building. 4 Quads per floor 6 rooms per quad. My ethernet cable is from my computer to the wall outlet for the Cat5 jack.
- Sionnaine -

Gig

Post#5 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 am

are other people using your network? if so, they might be slowing it down from their usage (ie...surfing, DLing, Streaming....).

Return to “Technical Discussion”