Semi budget computer build....

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Arlan

Semi budget computer build....

Post#1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 am

My gf's ~4 year old laptop (dell, eww) just isn't cutting it anymore, I think the gerbil inside is getting ready to kick the bucket. I'm building her a desktop system. Shes uses it for photoshop, ms office and general web browsing, music listening, etc. She also likes to have ~10 browser (literally) windows open at once, along with photoshop, instant messenger, music player, etc. I'm thinking of setting her up with the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 813131366R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103648
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231189

and, since this is a chick computer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811226025

Since she won't be doing any gaming, is a video card necessary? I don't know how capable the the onboard video is. Newegg has a good price on a radeon 4650. It appears to be better than any nvidia cards at the same price, but I'm not very familiar with radeon cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161262

PSU will be a spare one I have laying around, and I'll order a WD hard drive.

Thoughts on this build? I should be able to get the whole shebang put together for ~$600 including shipping, cables, monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc. Better than a dell for the same price?

Gnomerman

Post#2 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:00 am

if she's doing photoshop, a video card is a necessity. the 4650 is a wonderful card, and there is a nvidia equivilant, i think its the 9600gt, or the gt160 or whatever their naming scheme calls that card.

i also don't like buying open box items, it scares me, plus, i like getting the extra cables. i build a computer with a 790gx mobo, by asus, a ddr2 model, with a phenom II quad, and its very nice. .

hmmm ddr3..... to be honest, at ddr3 1333 speeds, your going to see no difference between ddr2 800. i mean, with synthetics, you can measure it, but its about 5%. on my rig, well my brothers, im running 2x2gig crucial balistic sticks at ddr2 1066, and its pretty great. but, in 2 years, there will be lots of ddr3 floating around, and ddr2 will be kinda like ddr is now... hard to find and expensive.

case... i don't comment

video card. that is shiney. HIS is a good brand in my experience. wd hd's are the best. for a cpu, that is a monster cpu from what i've read. amd is going to release new cpu's this week... prolly friday. won't be anything new in that price range, however, it can't hurt to wait a day or so.

for 600 bucks its not bad

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Arlan

Post#3 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:40 am

I've bought 3 open box motherboards and 2 video card from newegg, never had a problem with any of them. Good to hear that is a nice card, I usually stick with nvidia cards, but at the price all you can get it a 9400gt. She keeps a computer 4 to 5 years before upgrading, so I figured the AM3 board will be a bit more future proof. Oh yeah, she LOVES the case, lol.

Polarside

Post#4 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:52 pm

AMD... EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Guess if you're building a budget PC and she isn't a gamer it doesn't matter, but still, that much crap going at once, I'd want a Core 2 Quad (really an i7 but giving you're only dropping that much for a CPU that is out of the question)... Also, as Gnomer said, a video card is important if shes a hardcore Photoshopper. And the 9600GT is a great card for the price indeed. Can't really add to what Gnomer said cause I pretty much agree with him. I will say one more thing... The RAM... DDR3 is cheap enough. Though I doubt it'll probably even actually be running at the full 1333 Mhz... Probably just 1066. Anyways... Have to get it all together and see.

I know I hate AMD but this looks like a nice system for her.

Teach her to use tabs btw... :p Unless she does and still has that many browsers... Thats crazy...
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Gnomerman

Post#5 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:18 am

there is absolutely nothing wrong with amd :), and for a 110 bucks, find an intel cpu that is competetive. if you start to hit the 1k dollar mark for a total system budget, then the amd vs intel question comes up. clock for clock, the new amd processors are faster than core 2 duo/quad's even the 45 nm versions.
your 3.16 core2 duo vs my amd phenom II @ the same speed.... well.... i can shut 2 cores off and i'll still toss you around a bit :)

edit: my next build will more than likely be an i7 build in august or so. for me its all about what my dollar is going to get me. fora build under $800 it is almost a no brainer to go with an amd platform. the amd chipsets are very good, very power efficient, and very capable, and also inexpensive. however, it all depends on what your application. for someone who is an extreme multitasker, such as arlans gf, then more cores are going to benefit you more than faster cores :).

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Polarside

Post#6 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Keyword is budget...Sure AMD. But these days, sure on the Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads, clock for clock, the AMD's are a little bit faster, but not true for the Core i7. The Phenom II X4 955 BE (AMD's new flagship CPU running at 3.2Ghz) is matched pretty even in gaming to the i7 920 (the bottom line i7 running at 2.66Ghz), but that i7 920 beats it out in all the 3DMark Vantage scores, encoding and productivity. Sorry, but AMD has nothing on Intels i7.

Besides... Playing games, even if they support multiple cores, they will only use 2. I don't multitask so thats why I didn't go for a quad core this time. Basically opting for faster cores than more cores for said gaming. No i7 either due to my budget, though thats what I wanted. Even though I don't multitask thats still the best performing chip all around.
Shhh! Theres a dead horde in my trunk. Wanna see it? Fuck around and you'll be it.

Gnomerman

Post#7 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:59 pm

not dissagreeing at all.

its all about how many dollars you are spending, and what you want to do. that is the best part about computers, you can get exactly what you want. find me another industry where you actually get exactly what you want. the auto industry? LOL sure....... except no not at all. food industry? eh... its not as easy as you think. entertainment? no, medical? no government? hell no....

<3 computers

Arlan

Post#8 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Thanks for all the comments, parts have been ordered. Thanks to newegg's insanely fast shipping everything will be here tomorrow. I'm interested to see how much faster this will be than the athlon 64 x2 6000+ I have in my system. I might go for the phenom 2 x3 720 when I upgrade sometime this summer. They overclock quite well from what I have read.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#9 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:22 pm

My wife has offered to let me get a new comp this year. I think I'll price it out on Newegg too, since you've had such a good experience with them.

Palehorse

Post#10 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:33 pm

meh apparently I'm a day late, but for other budge-conscious PC (would-be) buyers...

Anandtech System Buyers Guide: $800 to $1800

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#11 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Here's what I priced out today. Comments welcome.

Case: NZXT Tempest - $100.00
PSU: Antec 430W - $55.00
Mobo: ASRock A780GX - $80.00
CPU: Phenom II X3 720 - $140.00
RAM: Kingston DDR2 1066 4GB - $24.00
Optical: Lite-On 24x CD/DVD-RW - $30.00
HDD: Samsung 1TB - $95.00
Video: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870 - $200.00
Sound: Onboard
Total: $824

I will use my current peripherals, such as keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitor. If I use my current case, PSU, optical drive, and hard drive, the price drops to $544.

Arlan

Post#12 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Lealla wrote:Here's what I priced out today. Comments welcome.

Case: NZXT Tempest - $100.00
PSU: Antec 430W - $55.00
Mobo: ASRock A780GX - $80.00
CPU: Phenom II X3 720 - $140.00
RAM: Kingston DDR2 1066 4GB - $24.00
Optical: Lite-On 24x CD/DVD-RW - $30.00
HDD: Samsung 1TB - $95.00
Video: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870 - $200.00
Sound: Onboard
Total: $824

I will use my current peripherals, such as keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitor. If I use my current case, PSU, optical drive, and hard drive, the price drops to $544.

Looks pretty good, although I prefer corsair memory and WD hard drives. If you can resuse a few current parts, you might want to go for the Phenom 2 955: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... %202%20955

It was just released today, and beats the core i7's in some benchmarks. The 720 is no slouch either though, and is actually a quad core in disguise. Some motherboards can actually unlock the 4th core (if you are lucky). Some of the 720's were quad cores with one bad core, some of them all 4 cores are fine, one is just disabled. It overclocks quite well too.

Edit: I'd go for a bigger psu as well, probably 550w minimum.

Gnomerman

Post#13 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:08 am

pffft, bigger psu? lol
im powering a much more power hungry system on a 420 watt psu. if you go too big, your idle power draw is low, and you get terrible power efficiency below 50% max power on a psu. idle a computer such as the one lealla priced out will use around 150-200 watts.

its all current on the 12v rail. if your psu has 30amps on the 12v rail (360w btw) that is enough for ANY single gpu system you can build.

on that psu it has 2 17amp 12v rails, with a max 12v power of 360w.... hmmmm thats a continuous ability to spit out 30amps of 12v goodness.... mmmmm

good psu choice lealla, a nice power friendly one too. save you many dollars on your power bill :)

/step on soap box

people use bigger psu's than they need cuz they listen to people that needlessly buy 700w psus cuz they don't know if its enough. if it is a brand name psu, including: silverstone, pc power and cooling, seasonic, corsair, thermaltake, antec, tagan, coolermaster (i think there are a couple more). your going to get your power.

3 things to look for on a power supply, in this order, what is the continuous power on the 12v rail? what is its power efficiency? what is its continuous max power?

/step off soapbox

and yes, Western digital Hard drives are the best. the coolest, quietest, and fastest you can get :) or segate, 5 year warranty ftw. (only the hdd, not whats on it)

Polarside

Post#14 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:48 pm

Gnomerman wrote:not dissagreeing at all.

its all about how many dollars you are spending, and what you want to do. that is the best part about computers, you can get exactly what you want. find me another industry where you actually get exactly what you want. the auto industry? LOL sure....... except no not at all. food industry? eh... its not as easy as you think. entertainment? no, medical? no government? hell no....

<3 computers

Agree 100%

Palehorse

Post#15 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:16 pm

hmmm what polar says makes sense. other than maybe the CPU/processor + mobo, you can build most of a computer without worrying too much about compatibility (although once you select the CPU/processor + mobo, it does narrow some of the choices ie core 2 duo processor = ddr2 ram).
Last edited by Palehorse on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Technical Discussion”