Semi budget computer build....

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Arlan

Post#16 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Everything arrived today, got the system up and running. It went smoothly with the exception of the DVD drive being a dud. I had a backup on hand though. Phenom 2 + DDR3 = win! Maybe when she's not looking I'll install some games on it and see how it does :D

Gnomerman

Post#17 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:46 am

with the 4650 it should game fairly well at 1280x1024 and below. anything above that you need a more serious graphics cards.

/new soap box

if you know what size monitor you have (resolution) that seriously helps figure out how much graphics card you actually need. however, more gpu means more future proof. however, if you spend $120 on a graphics card instead of $240. in 18 months, when graphics cards are much better, you can buy a new gpu for $120 that is better than the original $240 graphics card

/step off

at the end of the day its building a computer to do what you want it to do, and what you'll want it to do for the next year or 2. and about doing it for an amount of money you feel good about spending.

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Palehorse

Post#18 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:55 pm

I agree gnomer. For myself, I'm happy with a semi-decent computer as I don't think I do anything stressful on a computer outside of WoW; I don't photoshop, use the computer as a home theater, etc. I basically just surf the internet and on occasion listen to mp3s/videos.

It also strikes me as....distasteful to blow hundreds of dollars on a graphics card if I'm using a semi-decent core2duo rig (at home) for nothing more stressful than WoW. But that's just me *shrug*

Return to “Technical Discussion”