[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
800-900 build - Clan YaWA - You and Whose Army

800-900 build

Computers, Gadgets and other Cool Shit

Moderator: Demon Hunters

Gnomerman

800-900 build

Post#1 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:23 pm

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Arlan

Post#2 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Gnomerman

Post#3 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:56 am

this system i'm building will never be overclocked, so im going to stick with the stock cooler, unless there is room for something that is much, much, quieter. however the phenom II's are incredably cool running. the phenom II 2.8quad im running on the stock cooler idles in the 20's high 30's underload. no need for annother cooler if you don't think its too loud.

but for 80 bucks, that cooler, if it works, is a wonderful price. considering a nice zalman cooler can run you 60 bucks.

so looking at ram, to get one of my prefered brands, its going to be a $30+ premium. so, who can say what about g skill, ocz, or patriot? anyone use the stuff? how's it treat you? does it work with asus boards (they are picky sometimes)?

does anyone own a gtx 260 of any flavor? a 4850? i've got a 4870 1 gig, and its nice, and for the 170ish going on now its pretty sweet, just a little loud with the reference cooler.

thats what im pondering now

There is more to life than pew pew you know, like staying out of the fire so you can live to pew pew another day

Gnomerman

Post#4 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:03 am

as a side not for all you wonderer's... with a quad core cpu, 2 are idle while in a full 25 man raid. 1 runs at about 80% load and the other at about 30%. there are games that will stress 100% 2 cpu cores, leaving 2 for background recources. the need for the last 2 cores arises when using extreme graphics set ups... read 2 3 or 4 gpu's. when using the xfire or sli on the motherboard, cpu recources are needed. in 2 extremely high bandwidth cards, say 2 gtx 285's there is a lot of cpu power that goes to running the SLI (sli is more hoggish than crossxfire).

however, quad core helps future proof your system. it allows you to run many many threads. 4@100% cpu load to be exact (well 8 on the intel core i7's.... however, the majority of us don't have 1500+ dollar rigs (which in my mind is the dollar value its actually worth getting an i7)

also, still havn't ruled out intel core2duo e8500 3.0ghz dual core. i believe the 720 can spank it, however, the question still needs to be asked.

Lealla
Class Leader

Post#5 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:24 am

The build I listed last week falls into your criteria, Gnomer, although I used a hybrid platform rather than AM3+.

Gnomerman

Post#6 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:33 am

i mean, this users requirements would allow me to use an am2+ mobo, with ddr2 memory. i could insert said 720 into that system. however, it would only save me memory cost. and possibly 10 bucks for the mobo.

Palehorse

Post#7 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:30 pm

Return to “Technical Discussion”